USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Vektor, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Two new variations on the RCS thruster quads:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like both of these for slightly different reasons and I'm having a devil of a time making up my mind. It's definitely down to one of these two options, though. Once I pin this down, I can finish off all the other thrusters on the ship.

Opinions?

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

They both look good but I lean slightly towards the second one. Feels a little more in keeping with trek technology.

3. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

I like the top one. Looking at the pics on the previous page first, I was going to suggest making the yellow outline section a little thicker. Click to this page and there it is!

4. USS Jack Riley

USS Jack Riley Captain Captain

I prefer the second one myself. Seems more n keeping with the other starships (at least the TOS movie versions).

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The first one definitely. Especially once you add the actual thrusters to it.

6. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i prefer the first variant.

7. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

First here, too. The orange outline says "safety marking" better than having the colors the other way 'round.

8. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with this. Have you tried it with the classic black and yellow bumble-bee type safety markings?

9. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Good grief, no! Can you say anachronism?

Top one for me.

10. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^how so?

11. Vektor

I'm not going to do black/yellow stripes. That's a very conventional caution symbology that doesn't exist anywhere else in the Trek universe that I know of, at least not on the exterior of starships.

I am leaning toward the first version with the orange outline. It's similar enough to fit with what has come before but different enough to be unique. I'm working on the rest of the thrusters modules now, but they are a real pain to model, unfortunately. I'm getting faster as I go, but each one is slightly different depending on hull contours. Should have more updates within a couple of days.

12. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd go with the first version too. The second doesn't look quite right for some reason.

13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I guess I'm an oddball--I like the second one. Looks like a mini-impulse exhaust.

14. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think can see why many here like the first one, but I like the second one too because it does reflect more towards what has come before.

I see the yellow as being where the vents for the thrusters are cut into.

15. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Count my vote for the first version.

16. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I think they have waarnings near the phaser emitters.

17. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, but not BLACK/YELLOW caution symbols, but red warning strips. Emphasis on black and yellow, which isn't used, at least not that I know of in canon.

18. Vektor

Sorry for the lack of progress, gang. Life seems determined to give me a truckload of lemons lately and I am just plain tired of trying to make lemon juice. Not trying to whine or complain or fish for sympathy, just offering an explanation. Basically, I haven't been able to get anywhere near the Grandeur in the last couple of weeks as I am just trying to hold things together at the moment. Hopefully the difficulties will pass or at least lessen in the near future and I can get back on track.

19. reanimatedfish

reanimatedfish Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

When life gives you lemons? Pour a heffewiezen and garnish it with said lemons. Drain, repeat as necessary.

Take care of yourself first. You're bo good to the rest of us dead or destitute. :)

20. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nothing saps a man's creativity more than hard luck. Here's hoping your lemon stockpile becomes someone else's problem pronto, Vektor!