AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Oct 30, 2010.

1. The Comedian

The Comedian Captain Captain

Quiet, you. If AMC took over all SyFy programming in the future I would never complain. SyFy would make it about zombie wrestlers or something.

2. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I really liked it and I was glad to see they pulled no punches with the gore..

I did roll my eyes with the whole love triangle angle.. Do we need such agnst so early? I haven't read the graphic series, but I'm assuming it's also an element there?

I'll be watching again.

3. USS Avenger

USS Avenger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Zombie Wrestlers vs Sharktopus! :p

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked what I saw even though there was nothing new, so to speak. I also wish they didn't spell out that "ATLANTA IS BAD!!!!" before he went there. Granted, considering how he arrived there in the pilot I already knew what was going to happen -- either they'd be overrun by zombies or we'd get the 28 Days Later type of human compound -- but still, you don't have to spell everything out in advance.

The father and son were the best emotional beats of the pilot, with the cop putting down half-zombie lady in second.

5. Aeon

Aeon Commander Red Shirt

"I'm sorry this happened to you."

Very touching in a weird way.

6. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

What was the sense of him walking though the park looking for half zombie lady to put her down. I wonder if he knew the zombie lady before (mother? relative? )and just did not want her to suffer?

Also it was not to smart for Lennie James's character to start shooting zombies just to hope his wife would come and he could shoot her. Now he will have a shitload of zombies all over the house, lets hope all the boards hold up!! Not a smart move if your trying to protect your kid.

7. Aragorn

The whole "don't shoot unless you mean it" line made me wonder if on this show the kid will have to put down his own father, if we even see them again.

8. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

The hospital scene did remind me of 28 Days Later, but the overall tone of the show was considerably different. Someone said that The Walking Dead doesn't do anything different than most zombie movies, but I have to disagree: I felt like it had a lot of emotionality that I found lacking in some zombie films like the original Dawn of the Dead (and funnily enough, the remake - which I prefer- came on before the pilot did).

The scene where Lennie James' character tries to kill his wife but cannot juxtaposed against Rick finding the amputee zombie was really emotionally affecting- I think unlike a lot of zombie films you actually felt sympathetic toward these zombies and you get the sense that this was something that happened to them. It was moving and I think the investment in these characters over a course of time is going to make this show really special and unique compared to most zombie stories.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I was intrigued by the apparent intelligence of the zombies compared to what I'm used to seeing. The Wife Zombie coming up to the house and trying to open the door was very chilling.

10. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. That along with the little girl picking up the teddy bear makes me think these zombies still have a shred of intelligence or some familiarity with what they used to know.

11. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Zombie show delivers. :techman: I was impressed with the production values and the storytelling. I thought the slow reveal at the beginning was very effective. I liked the tank scene (first time I've seen zombies eat a horse) and the "cliffhanger". "Hey dumbass, yeah you in the tank, are you cozy?" :lol: I thought legless zombie woman in the park was creepy as hell and it was a nice touch to have the main character come back and put her out of her misery later.

12. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well that was great! Looks like I finally have an American show to look forward to again (at least for five more weeks).

I could deal with the legless zombie woman. But her growl just creeped me the hell out and made it hard to rewatch that scene.

I'd like to give the writers props for at least making some attempt at realism.

* Getting shot, even if you're wearing a bulletproof vest, still hurts enough to disable you temporarily.

* Heads are tougher than melons. It'll take several good hits before you do any damage.

* Firing a pistol in an enclosed space is a BAD thing.

Okay, maybe I've been playing too many video games, but did anyone else notice the barely audible XBox 'Achievement Unlocked' sound right after our hero head shots the deputy through the fence? :)

As for how he survived in the hospital, its entirely possible some brave nurse stayed behind as long as they could to care for the coma patients, and finally had to bug out (the eaten corpse in the hallway maybe?). Someone obviously shut his door and pushed a gurney up against it.

The stopped clock: I figured the hospital was on emergency backup generators and they hadn't bothered hooking the wall clocks up to it.

And I guess the producers didn't have the budget for Black hawks. :)

Oh and btw, for the person who complained about the hatch under the Abrams, that was actually a British Chieftain tank.

A tip-o-the-hat to the classic Romero zombies?

13. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Hell yes it was.

One month in the comics.

the affair started after they left for Atlanta.

(This is a very minor spoiler.)
    Morgan and Duane reappeared in an issue entirely dedicated to just them.
    I'm not caught up entirely on the comics at this point, but apparently (this is a major spoiler)
    Morgan joins a group of survivors with Rick after the group passes through Cynthiana but, sometime after the previous appearance, Duane became a zombie and had to be put down.

It is. If you think that was bad, just wait
    until Laurie's pregnancy is revealed with a "is it Rick's or is it Shane's? question. Not to mention Shane feeling jealous that Rick is back...

All in all, as a big fan of the comics (as you might be able to tell from all of my "in the comics" spoiler tags...), I loved this premiere. It was very faithful and very well-done. The tank bit was a nice addition that wasn't in the comics. The best addition was certainly the extended time Rick spent with Morgan and Duane, especially Morgan's inability to shoot his zombie wife. Andrew Lincoln is a perfect Rick Grimes.

If anyone's interested, you can read the first full issue #1 of Robert Kirkman's series here.

14. USS Avenger

USS Avenger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks. I didn't know the type, though I knew it wasn't an Abrams, M-60 or any COMBLOC tank. However, I did think it was meant to stand in for an Abrams in which case the scene would still make no sense if the Abrams does indeed have no escape hatch. Does it? I honestly don't know, but I thought I had read somewhere that it doesn't. In any case those are just the little things that take me out of a show or movie, yes its anal of me YMMV. :)

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That scene was the only one that I thought was weird. Not because there was a hatch, but because of how the scene played. One second he is apologizing to his wife and son and pointing a gun to his head, and the next he is safe and sound inside the tank. I think I needed a second in between where we see him go "Oh hey, a hatch!"

16. Aragorn

There was a second. He looks up right after he points the gun to his head. It was about a second. :)

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Okay, maybe I needed two seconds.

18. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ Good thing you weren't Rick in that situation, then, eh? Needing an extra second might've gotten you bit! ;)

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

As a viewer, I just found it awkward. It made it look like he was apologizing to his wife for going in the hatch. I may have blinked and missed the part where he noticed the hatch, because to me it looked like going inside was his plan all along.

20. watermelony2k

watermelony2k Vice Admiral Admiral