Hawaii 5-0 Season FIVE

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Top41, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

Yeah, I was looking at the cast photo the other day and marveling at the fact that other than the two white guy leads, the cast is entirely diverse. That's pretty awesome.

Granted, those two white guy leads get 75% of the material, but it's progress. And yeah, the show definitely skews male in terms of that cast, but it's also mishandled a lot of the female characters. Even much of Kono's arc last year was just about chasing her boyfriend around the world. It would be nice if the next female regular they bring in didn't have to be a love interest for one of the guys in some way.

2. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ A good example of "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

She did pretty much rescue him and protect him though...not the usual way around !

4. Top41

^That is true, thank goodness! I like that Kono isn't a damsel in distress. So far the show has done pretty well on that front. The lead women aren't constantly being victimized, thank goodness. They don't have the best story arcs… but to be fair, no one really does. The show is really does best with the twisty cases, or when Steve and Danny are arguing in a car/on a boat/under a collapsed building.

5. Top41

I *loved* the last episode. There was so much fun banter! And the case was a great one, too, with an emotional resolution. Steve is a total doubter when it comes to anyone who dares to breach his circle… not surprised he was suspicious of Aunt Deb's fiancé. Danny's counter-investigation was cute, as was Steve calling him Nancy Drew. :lol: I just really liked this one a lot.

6. Green Shirt

They let Carol Burnett sing, but not Frankie Valli? :eek:

I know for story purposes she was a singer who never "made it", but Frankie's character could also have been a frustrated shop teacher/mob lawyer/boy soprano. :devil:

7. Green Shirt

Max out nerded himself with that "Janice" plotline. :)

Funny stuff.

I didn't catch what the other M.E.'s license plate said.

8. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I used to like the show but this might change my mind about continuing to watch it. :(

9. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't understand what it meant either, until i saw this blog post:

10. steveda19

steveda19 Lieutenant Commander

Did you see McGarett stole a Xmas tree for his pal Danny Williams cause Trees were too high for him. And HPD officer gave him a ticket of $1200 fine and told him he has to take the tree.

http://www.ksitetv.com/hawaii-five-o/hawaii-five-0-spoilers-ke-koho-mamao-aku-longshot/49124

Yes McGarett stole a Xmas tree and the cops cited him $1200 fine. THATS BULL SHIT!! Theres a difference between TV LAND AND REAL LIFE! In real life COPS CAN GET AWAY WITH ANYTHING!! EVEN MURDER! All over the news about Officer Daren Wilson who shot and killed a black teen in ferguson. He didn't stand trail even faced a judge inside a courtroom.BUT YOU & I WILL! Just like Eric Frien who shot and killed an penn State trooper. THATS REALITY!! This proves how liberal CBS is really is. THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I DONT EVER WATCH CBS OR EVEN NBC NEWS. I Watch Fox News Channel for the truth instead liberal bias all three major TV news networks. The Thing is HOLLYWOOD always make cops look like the good guys. Not ONCE Hollywood ever made a TV show or a Movie about corrupted police depts which are THE TRUTH!

11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

You're really outraged by the loss of that fictional Christmas tree to start a thread and post about it twice, aren't you?

It's been adorable so far watching you flail around with your juvenile temper tantrums, massive entitlement complex, incredibly warped understanding of politics and the media (your understanding of CBS' and especially FOX News' respective positions on police corruption makes the baby Jesus weep), and ALL-CAPS HATRED of anyone in any kind of authority even if they're simply telling you that you can't have an avatar RIGHT THIS SECOND :weep: and THAT SPAMMING THE BOARD FOR IT IS THE WRONG WAY TO GO.

I'm guessing you haven't actually watched the Fox News coverage of anything like Ferguson, because they're pretty much the opposite of what you're saying here. Of course, it's my hope that you're just pulling our leg with all of this, lest I have to contemplate the utter failure of your schooling up to this point. I'm guessing extreme libertarian homeschooling given your weird admiration for survivalist ambush murderer Eric Frein, who you apparently think should get off scot free after taking sniper shots at police.

Which is where your little rants stop being cute in a "Oh, look, some evil scientist gave a puppy the ability to type" kind of way and start just becoming vicious and ugly. You want to talk about police corruption, there's plenty of places to do it here or elsewhere, but you'll probably have to take a metric ton of Ritalin first. But if you're gonna start promoting anarchist murderers as good guys here, take your crap somewhere else, like Stormfront.

12. Top41

Buddy, this thread is about Hawaii 5-0. You want to talk politics and cop killers, take it to TNZ.

Like you said, Steve and Danno got caught! And poor Danno got fined. I gotta say, I thought Danny was being a little hard on Steve at first, who was literally breaking the law so that Danny and Grace could have a Christmas tree. But then when poor Danny got left with the hefty fine, I saw his point. What are the chances that Steve pays that fine, as he should? Yeah, not likely. :lol:

13. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Of course not. Guy doesn't ever pay for his beer :)

14. Top41

^ :lol: So true! Poor Danno. :o

15. steveda19

Im making a point. Hollywood is so biased on crime and guns also on other things. Like how dare Jamie Foxx speak out against guns when he uses them on Django Unchained. Just like Ann Coulter has a point on her book called Shut up and sing. It really should be called Shut up an act. If Hollywood does one side of things then they must do the other view of things. They cant keep making cops look like the good guys all the time. I never seen a TV crime drama show on police corruption. If i was a producer on one of them it would be about the LAPD on corruption and killings. And it will change the publics views about them.

16. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But this is also Hawaii Five-0... not exactly known for its realism. A military guy with no law background suddenly made the head of a special police unit?

the show has bigger complaints, like how Steve McGarrett is so perfect ...even with kids. ANd how he was even involved int he story with Chin Ho's high school reunion (Jerry was a classmate? I missed his intro) . The sometimes marginalization of minority characters might be a more legitimate beef with the show (but that might be getting better)

17. steveda19

Some episodes should have consequences. Look at the A TEAM for example remember them? They have escaped from the military for a long time until they got caught and got court martialed. Now i would love to see both Danny and Steve did something wrong against the federal government like a violation and FBI agents have arrested them both. And then they stand trial in federal court. Now thats an episode i wanna see on Hawaii Five O. They say this,, you might get away of doing stuff but sooner or later you're gonna get caught and they do. Nobody can get away with wrongdoing in their whole life.

18. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Yes, but it's stupid, jumbled mess of a point.

OMG, he used guns in a fictional story and comes out in favor of gun control in real life, almost like he's an actor playing a role? That's crazy. Also, I'm pretty sure even most strong gun control advocates wouldn't object to using guns to free yourself and your loved ones from slavery, so it's an even dumber point yet again.

Right, but Coulter is allowed to speak despite having no more qualifications to do so than any actor, right? Do you even think this stuff through for a moment before the angry stream of consciousness comes flowing out?

It's not everyone else's fault you've lived an incredibly sheltered life and not seen the enormous number of TV series and movies depicting police corruption. Of course, you could use the internet to look it up before shooting your mouth off, or you could read the list that was provided to you in the previous thread where you complained about the horrifying Hawaii-5-0 Christmas Tree injustice.

How about watch The Shield, Southland, or Gang Related for a few of many examples of corruption in the LAPD, or LA Confidential, Mulholland Falls, Training Day, Dark Blue, Internal Affairs, Street Kings, orr Crash for a few of many film examples.

Again, you realize they got caught and fined in the episode right? What kind of punishment did you expect them to get for cutting down a tree illegally? Ten years in prison?

19. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Are you somehow naive enought to think Jamie Foxx is the first too speak out like that.

Try Richard Dean Anderson for another example. Hates gunes, in favour of gun control, carried a gun through 7 years of Stargate SG-1.

If you want to look at the issues of corruption etc you could look at Danny blowing again the guy who killed his brother or Chin's casual gunning down of the wife he killed.

Danno could be excused as a heat of the moment reaction, but Chin's was cold blooded murder of an innocent man.

but if you cared to read back through some of the threads in here on the show you'd know that people have commented on incidents and expressed concerns that there was never any consequences.

20. steveda19

Fine and 30 days in Jail