Doctor Who in the Star Trek universe

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Thete, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Thete

Thete Ensign Red Shirt

My simple theory is that the Peter Cushing films are part of the Trek universe - but does that work? I mean, I'm not overly knowledgable on Trek yet. The second one was set in 2150, when the Daleks invaded Earth.

I just think these beasts suit Trek, especially TOS:

[​IMG]

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, the Cushing movies depict a very different 22nd century than Star Trek does.

3. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shouldn't the question be the other way round: Trek in the Who universe? After all, Who covers the whole of space and time, Trek is limited to one galaxy across a few hundred years... ;-)

4. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Is that a pic from the actual moive, they look more like CGI, although the movie Daleks were colourful they look too detailed in that pic to be from the movies, plus i am sure the bases were black instead of gold, but i could be wrong, its been a while since i watched them.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Right. Star Trek: Enterprise begins in 2151, just a year after the second Cushing movie is supposedly set.

6. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

Both series have the concept of a multiverse (Time tracks/e-space/etc in Who), so I see no reason why they can't peacefully coexist. :D Just not in the same timeline.

7. Christopher

Perhaps because modern Who has repeatedly referenced Star Trek as a work of fiction? (But then, in "Remembrance of the Daleks" the original series came within one second of referencing itself as a work of fiction...)

8. Thete

Thete Ensign Red Shirt

The Cushing movies are not part of Who canon.

9. Thete

Thete Ensign Red Shirt

That answers that one then!

10. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

And in a recent comic strip series, the Doctor managed to visit the Enterprise and work with its crew.

Says who? Says you!

11. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, it's possible that's a CG render, but at that resolution, it's hard to determine (at least for me).

However, I will state with reasonable confidence that the red and black Daleks in the first movie did have gold "bumpers". I just ran a Google search and found a few shots that show full length shots of the TechniColor PepperPots. Here's a link...

http://www.google.com/search?q=cush...J4Km8gSdhYAY&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=566

Sincerely,

Bill

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, they really aren't part of Who canon. In those movies, Cushing plays a character actually named "Doctor Who" who is actually a human inventor.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

My theory is the Cushing films take place in Pete's Universe and Doctor Who is 10.5.

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

They do look like they could work in TOS if you took TOS as an entity on its own ignoring the series that follow. Daleks aren't so unlike Nomad.

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Oooh, I like this one :bolian::bolian:

16. Christopher

I gather there's a theory in one of the tie-ins that the movies represent a fictionalized version of the Doctor's adventures written by, I think, Barbara after returning to the 1960s.

17. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

There's a bunch of different theories and explanations as to how the Cushing films may fit in.

The Human Nature novel (in bits given to Cornell by Steven Moffat) hints that someone who just might be the Cushing Doctor (although not exactly as the fictional story John Smith writes has him living in Victorian times) founded Gallifrey and might have been "the Other."

In recent years, there's been quite a few people who have suggested he's an older version of the human-aging Tenth Doctor in Pete's World after he's lost his memory and that Suzie Who's grandmother is actually Rose.

Or it may just been an universe slightly to the left of the regular one.

Besides, Doctor Who doesn't even have an official canon like Paramount and Lucasfilm has. The BBC couldn't give a fuck about things like that and the people who have made the show from 2005+ onwards have taken the same attitude about the Cushing films as they have about the classic series, the novels, the audios, everything; take what they want, ignore what they don't (hence the Cushing-esque ear-lamps on the RTD and New Paradigm Daleks and the looks brand new, St. John's sticker and all TARDIS of the Matt Smith era).

18. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

You mean, they're not in continuity with the tv series. Well, I wouldn't refute that. But they're part of the "canon", as in they're part of the body of work that resides under the title of "Doctor Who". Otherwise, as others have said, there is no concept of an officially sanctioned canon in Doctor Who - and in a show that actively embraces alternate timelines, parallel universes and rewrites history at the drop of a hat, there can't be really. The Cushing movies are as much a part of this huge story as anything else. Your arguments are spurious to say the least, especially since the tv series itself and many of the comic strips have named the character "Doctor Who" on occasion - it's just a pseudonym after all as is "the Doctor". And there's no point in either of the films where Doctor Who is expressly identified as a human being, rather than a human-seeming alien living on Earth, as was the tv Doctor. The tv series itself had barely established that the Doctor was alien at this point.

19. Thete

Thete Ensign Red Shirt

I disagree, there was until the 2005 series - it seems to be an excuse Moffat is using to do what he wants.

20. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wormhole Extreme!