Best seasin 3 episodes

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by localyokel, Aug 17, 2014.

1. localyokel

localyokel Ensign Red Shirt

Oops, I mean season. I have been trying too get into DS9 since it has come out on Netflix. I have read a lot about season 3 being where it really took off. Which are your favorite episodes?

2. JHarper

JHarper Commander Red Shirt

The Search I/II, The House of Quark, Civil Defense, Defiant, Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast, and The Adversary would be on my must watch list.

Heart of Stone, Distant Voices, and Explorers were also pretty good.

Meridian, and Fascination are the only ones I really can't stand to rewatch.

3. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

"Explorers" comes to mind for me; it's one of the few Trek episodes I can watch with my westerns-only father and enjoy, and I never get tired of seeing Bashir and O'Brien sing "Jerusalem". Also, Sisko is sporting the goatee AND hair at that point.

4. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

JHarper really summed it up for me, although The Search part 2 is certainly the weaker one in that two parter.

5. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

JHarper's list is good, but I would add a few things:

The Abandoned explores the nature of the Jem'hadar and is where Odo begins to differentiate his own concern for order with the Founder's fascism.

Past Tense I and II were the first time ISB put his mark on the series, turning more toward filling in Star Trek lore rather than just adding more to it.

Visionary is another Make O'Brien Suffer episode, but really fun.

Facets is an uneven episode, but is worthwhile for Auberjonois' performance (and Brooks', to a lesser extent).

Overall, I think Season Three is excellent. It's clear that the series is on the right track, and that many rich ideas are being seeded that will pay off down the road.

6. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With those added, I think just about the whole of season 3 is good. :D ;)

7. Bad Thoughts

^Equilibrium, Meridian, Fascination, Distant Voices.

8. localyokel

localyokel Ensign Red Shirt

Great thanks guys. I'll take a look.

9. Bad Thoughts

Just for clarification, this second list is the worst episodes of Season Three, and perhaps the most notoriously bad in the series. (If you don't believe me, check out Terry Farrell's acting during Equilibrium's denoument. Zzz.... . Or how unsexy real life couple Siddig and Visitor are in Fascination.)

10. benjaminh

benjaminh Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Even though it was in the third season that the show started taking off, the first two seasons have some very good and, I think, almost essential episodes.

I assume you've already tried to watch the weird and fascinating series premiere, Emissary. That's an important one, because the very end of DS9 in S7 sometimes connects back to Emissary.

The other two first season episodes that I'd watch would be Duet and Hands of the Prophets.

For the second season, here are my recommends:
    Homecoming
    Circle
    Seige
    (That's a three-part "movie" episode right there)
    Blood Oath
    The Maquis I & II
    Crossover
    The Jem'Hadar

For the 3rd season, I'd pick:

The Search, I & II
    Second Skin
    Defiant
    Past Tense I & II
    Heart of Stone
    Visionary
    Improbable Cause
    The Die is Cast

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Best of series level:
    Improbable Cause/The Die Is Cast

Great level:
    The Search Part I/Part II
    Civil Defense
    Past Tense Part I/Part II
    The Adversary

Very good level:
    The Abandoned
    Defiant
    Heart of Stone
    Visionary
    Distant Voices

12. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree with all this, except Heart of Stone. That started 4 seasons of annoying Odo/Kira "romance". I wish they hadn't gone in that direction. I did like the character growth for Nog though.

13. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

Overall Favs of Season 3 would be:
    The Search Parts I and II
    Defiant
    Improbable Cause & The Die is Cast

Great Character Episodes:
    Second Skin
    Explorers
    Life Support

14. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Despite the "cheat" ending, I liked "The Search", "Improbable Cause"/"The Die is Cast" was superb, and "The Adversary" was good too. Honorable mention for "Distant Voices", which was an interesting and suspenseful episode that had some interesting moments. Season 3 was where the show started becoming a little more solid and interesting for me and the ongoing story arc with the Dominion started getting going. I almost kind of wish, though, that the conclusion to "The Search" actually was real and not entirely false but then again it was probably way too early for such dramatic changes. I'm glad that when everything went down at the end of Season 5, THAT was clearly real.