Khan/Klingons related?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by RobertScorpio, Aug 20, 2009.

1. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Did I get this right? I am not sure if it was voyager or enteprise, but I think it was enterprise. They are now saying that the klingons stole the DNA that Data's dad was working on (which was extracted from Khan/others like khan) and then these goofy klingons injected themselves and...then...they had turtle heads that could come and go (meaning Kor TOS and kor DS9)?

And, for all we know, it may have indeed come from Khan making all bumpy headed klingons somehow related to Mister Roark himself??? or was I on acid what I saw that...

Rob

2. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, Klingon's stole genetically engineered Super Human DNA in a failed attempt to create Super Klingons which caused most of them to have smooth foreheads for a few generations, this was Enterprise's attempt to explain why Klingons had smooth foreheads in the TOS era but not in the first three season's of Enterprise or the TNG era series. :vulcan:

3. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Not quite. It caused the Klingons that specifically were infected with the virus that altered their DNA that way to have smooth foreheads. The rest of the Klingons - probably most of the Empire - were normal. Maybe the regular Klingons didn't want to serve on ships with the smooth-heads, due to distaste or fear of infection. And since the infected worlds were on the side of the Empire that faced the Federation, it makes some sense that the ships we saw that were based in that region might have been predominantly smooth-heads for a while. Remember, though, that we didn't see anywhere close to all of Kang, Koloth, or Kor's crews - there may have been at least some of the other Klingons aboard.

The three captains I just mentioned lived long enough to see a treatment to undo the virus developed, you'll note - even they were back to looking "Imperial Klingon" by the time of the DS9 episode they were all in.

4. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

sounds like who ever wrote that episode was on acid...

Rob

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It actually hangs together quite well. As explanations go it wasn't too bad and utilized the most popular fan theories.

6. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

I admit that I haven't read any of their "Shatnerverse" novels, but normally I wouldn't say that Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens are on acid. :)

7. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I just tell people to "Shut the hell up" whenever they ask me about the Klingon thing.

The above answers are good, but I like mine more.

8. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Okay..I will take the bait..what is yours?

Rob

9. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

LOLing over "shut the hell up".

I liked what they had said in.....gah! Which incarnation? I think it was Worf who said, "That is something we do not discuss with outsiders". Or something to that effect.

Its a mystery!

10. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The thing I like about this explanation is that they took what (I consider to be) was a minor inconsistancy in the Trek U and turned it into an entertaining story with a moral about the potential dangers of messing with genetic ingineering, which is something we need to be increasingly mindful of these days.

11. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Yeah..that is a good point. Agree totally. Scares me to think about where we will be as a society as genetic engineering/cloning really take off.

Rob

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

And the cure for the virus came from Archer himself, so adding that to his encounter with Klaang (in "Broken Bow"), and the crimes that put Archer on Rura Penthe ("Judgment"), it all fits with Picard mentioning that history noted that first contact with the Klingons was "disastrous". And something Worf doesn't care to discuss in "Trials and Tribble-ations".

13. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    I'm of two minds on the smooth forehead explanation. On the one hand, props to the writers for creating a somewhat convoluted but interesting explanation and compelling story. On the other hand, I sometimes prefer Worf's line from Trials & Tribbleations, that Klingons don't speak of it. Nice tongue-in-cheek explanation! I just hope we never have a Romulan forehead story! -- RR

14. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

God I HATE those smooth head Romulans..

Rob

15. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Including the two proposed in DS9's Trials and Tribble-ations

16. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The line itself is "We do not discuss it with outsiders." And it was obvious from Worf's expression that it was embarrassing.

17. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

That would be a good answer for people who actually ask in real life. To make it worse you could say that and then stare at them coldly for several minutes.

18. KingstonTrekker

KingstonTrekker Commander Red Shirt

The Augment DNA could not have come from Khan --- he was soundly asleep on the Botany Bay during Archer's era.

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've always assumed Romulan foreheads is just a racial thing. Some have ridges, some don't. After all, in Unification, no one in the streets of Romulus found Spock's lack of ridges to be unusual.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The Rufflans.