Khan the most dangerous enemy of the original crew?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Noddy, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The Klingons were overused villains in the TOS movies. For most people that watched them, they were nothing special. Khan's rivalry with Kirk was more memorable.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

My point is, walk up to random John Everyman or Average Joe on the street and ask them who the bad guys in Star Trek are. I'm sure more will say "the Klingons" then will say "Khan."

3. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But they did at least have to work for Spock's resurrection. Every other 'death' was nullified with basically no effort before the episode in question even ended.

4. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Funny the biggest thing I think of when I think of Space Seed is the phrase "I become fatigued" and a week minded crew member constantly switching loyalty.

Most people who dont know much about Star Trek if you asked them wouldnt get further than Klingons and Spock and wouldnt name Khan.

5. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

As a single character, I'd say it is true that Khan is the most dangerous enemy the crew ever encountered. He took over a federation ship with ease, crippled the Enterprise and tested Kirk right to the end.

And who are we to argue with Spock anyway?

6. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

When one thinks about it, in terms of the combination of being brilliant, evil, charismatic, unredeemable, and egomaniacally uncompromising in his pursuits, maybe Khan was the worst they faced. And while the stakes were certainly high with V-ger and the probe in TVH, imagine what Khan and 72 other supermen and superwomen like him could've done running amok around the alpha quadrant with the Enterprise if they had taken it in "Space Seed", or if Khan had revived his people and captured the Vengeance in STID.

Edited to add: Spock may also think that because he's someone who would generally admire and appreciate great intellect in a person, but he saw it going to waste in Khan.

7. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Characters like General Chang were more dangerous opponents, IMO, as they at least fully understood starship battle tactics, and Chang's actions, had he succeeded, would have devastated the entire galaxy. Khan is really defeated quite easily in "Space Seed" and in TWOK, where Kirk basically kicks the crap out of Khan in the final act with comparatively minimal damage to the Enterprise.

8. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

So did space-hippies. Doesn't mean they should get a movie.

9. The Wormhole

Don't be so quick to dismiss the idea. The hippy songs can be performed by pop stars thereby giving another outlet for the movie's promotion. Just think "Long, long time ago. When the galaxy was still new" performed by Justin Bieber. Instant chart topper for weeks.

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even Soran was more dangerous. He was only defeated by forming a tag-team and then literally going back in time to before he won and even then he still killed Kirk.

11. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh God. I just had a terrible vision of Rihanna performing "Steppin' Into Eden." I want you to know that I blame you for this.

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Spock was probably a bit biased, since Khan was the only enemy that ever killed him. Kirk might have the same bias with Soran

13. Khan444

Khan444 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

No, I agree that Khan was the most dangerous. He was brilliant, ruthless, obsessed, and wanted to kill everyone, and then conquer the universe. Also, it took Spock sacrificing his own life to finally foil Khan for good. As for why he is considered to me Kirk's Joker, it's for several reasons. One, Montalban was fantastic. Two, Khan and Kirk had a personal rivalry. Three, they made the Moby Dick analogy very relevant to Khan. Also, Khan killed Spock, so of course he's going to say that.

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spock was exaggerating for NuKirk's sake. He knows the kid has a hard time taking anything but himself seriously so some pretentious labels might focus him.

15. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

You know aome people say that VOY killed off the Borg as mysterious villains.
    TNG killed the Klingons off as villains. They're now our 'friends'. Our allies, frat boys.
    I know nuTrek is set before that happens but the Klingons that are so well known by Average Joe will be the 'friendly' TNG/DS9 Klingons not Kor or Colonel Chang.

16. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

You know aome people say that VOY killed off the Borg as mysterious villains.
    TNG killed the Klingons off as villains. They're now our 'friends'. Our allies, frat boys.
    I know nuTrek is set before that happens but the Klingons that are so well known by Average Joe will be the 'friendly' TNG/DS9 Klingons not Kor or Colonel Chang.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

"Heading Out To Eden". :cool:

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Had John Colicos been available to reprise Kor in "The Trouble With Tribbles" and "The Day of the Dove", as originally pitched, maybe the first Trek movie would have featured him, too.

19. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a great "what could've been." Imagine what TUC would've been like with Colicos as Kor instead of Plummer as a totally new character, Chang.

20. The Wormhole

Add onto that Soran set into motion the plan that resulted in the Enterprise's destruction. He is one dangerous mofo.

You're welcome. :D