'Cloud Atlas' (2012) Wachowski Brothers rumors/info until release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Also, while Hugo Weaving represents the enforcement of an evil order in every story, Hugh Grant is always the very source f that order.

This is one of my favorites ever, and my favorites in a long time.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I loved this film so much when I saw it in theaters, I immediately bought the book. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but it's high on my list. I really should watch this film again, too.

3. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watched it it on the opening night and got the blu ray for my birthday. After it was sitting on my shelf for several months, I managed to re-watch the movie again a couple of weeks ago. It's certainly one of my favourite ones. And I'm amazed by all the details that I didn't noticed when I watched "Cloud Atlas" the first time.

I'm thinking about reading the book, too, but I haven't made up my mind yet.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was one thing I found a little confusing. The birthmark was appearing on different actors in the different eras, but I was originally under the impression that the actors were all supposed to be different incarnations of the same soul. Was that not the case? Were they cast more on the concept they represented rather than being the same "person"?

5. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

No. The same actors are not playing the same "soul." In fact, the birthmark follows the one common soul. the same actors do as you said earlier, which to represent their roles in the story, not the actual characters. Cloud Atlas is as much about stories, the telling of stories, and the roles that antagonists and protagonists play in it, and that's what the actors represent. The only common soul is the whoever wears the comet birthmark, which is the main character in each story.
    Ewing - Forbisher - Rey - Cavendesh - Somni451 - Zacharay

They all have the birthmark and are the same character.

Hugo Weaving and Hugh Grant play antagonists in every story, but they are not playing the same souls.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok, thanks of the explanation.

7. TerraNovan

TerraNovan Lieutenant Commander

One of my favorite movies.

8. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

And you felt the need to zombify a thread that had been dead for eight months to add zero new content, because ...?

9. TerraNovan

My favorite review of we need to talk about kevin is something the lines of ..... this character is just so one dimensional, he is just sterotypically evil.

It seems theres a general trend that if an idea bucks preconceived expectations its attacked for not meeting those prejudices

10. TerraNovan

Yeah I really hope someone can pull of a similarily themed television concept.

Multiple arcs, reusing casts, with a limited need for set pieces, while still going far into the future.

11. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

TerraNovan, you need to refresh yourself with the rules here. For one, you don't need to post consecutive posts with the tools we have. For another, a thread that has been dormant as long as this one should be left that way. Resurrecting it with a post of essentially no content isn't going to endear you here. ;)