Borderline Trek Film

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Melonpool, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Here's a picture of them. I think it's the uniforms that got me thinking Galaxy Trio. Of course, I'm the guy who thought that the old man in the Skittles tube sock man commercial was Warren Stevens so my perspective is screwy anyways...
    [​IMG]

2. Melonpool

Melonpool Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ha ha! No -- no reference intended there. The characters that have that little square thing on their chest were created when I was 5. Here's how the "uniform" came to happen:

[​IMG]

3. Potemkin_Prod

Thanks for posting that! I always am amazed at the origins of things! The Galaxy Trio have Roman Numerals to denote their command structure, i.e. I, II, and III. Poor ol' Gravity Girl was on the short end of the list.

4. Melonpool

So, I started storyboarding the script this last week. One of the sequences I'm working on has a brief "Star Trek II" parody in it. For the sequence, I want to make some TWOK-style uniforms for the puppets.

I think the wrap-around tunics will be easy enough to simulate, but I doubt that I should use the Delta shield. I'd like something reminiscent for the insignia pin and the belt buckle, though -- and they should be as cheap as possible, since they'll be featured in about a minute of the finished film. Scale-wise, they'd have to be pretty small, too -- since most of the puppets have about 10-inch tall torsos.

Does anyone have any ideas what to do about all of the pins and belt buckles? I'd need five of whatever I decide to use.

5. Potemkin_Prod

I found a couple of sources for those items, but they're not cheap! PM me and I'll give you the details.

6. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Awesome. I hope you show more behind the scenes stuff of your puppet builds.

7. Melonpool

I will!

8. Melonpool

I made a lot of progress this last three-day weekend. I'll try to post pictures this week, but I was able to block in most of the "Ceiling soffit" around the back half of the bridge as well as most of the removable flooring.

Since I live in an area that is ungodly hot during the day, I also spent a good portion of the weekend building puppets. So, all in all, it was a very productive three days!

9. Potemkin_Prod

Glad to hear it, and looking forward to the results!

10. Melonpool

I finally took some pictures and video of my progress! Here are the picture. I'll post the video in a day or so!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Potemkin_Prod

Looking GREAT!!! Like Gilligan's hat. :)

12. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Lookin' good. :bolian:

13. Melonpool

Here's some of the video we shot on the set this weekend. No real puppetry yet -- unless you count camera moves -- but you can see sort of how some of the set ups will look in the finished film!

http://melonpool.blip.tv/file/4150400/

14. Potemkin_Prod

Looking really good there. How much longer do you think it will be before you start filming?

15. Melonpool

Probably a couple of months. Even if the set comes together sooner than that, I don't think the puppets will be ready before then.

So much to do when everything that appears on the screen -- including actors -- has to be fabricated! ;)

16. Melonpool

I'm not really posting this publicly, but I thought you guys would like to see one of the puppets I've been working on for this film of mine. This is No-da -- Yoda's black sheep brother that uses the "grey side of the Force" for things like horse racing and picking up women. He basically performs the same function in my film as the high Vulcan priestess that tells Spock that his path lies elsewhere during Kohlinar in TMP.

Enjoy!

http://www.melonpool.com/songs/noda.MP4

17. Melonpool

It looks like we're moving the set to the studio this weekend, where it will be painted and readied for filming. I'd say it'll be nice to get the garage back, but in reality, it'll just clear up space so I can build flats that will eventually become the engine room and other parts of the ship. ;)

Also working on a new website for the film which should go active in a week or so!

18. Potemkin_Prod

Really looking forward to it!

I've got at least two more years before I have to return the carport to its original condition. :)

19. Melonpool

So, I'm still chugging along on this project. I've been focusing mainly on storyboarding the entire film (almost done with that, finally) and have begun building the puppets. Here's one of them, enjoy!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  20. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam