7x06 The Bells of St John - review/ discussion

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by 3chordboy, Mar 30, 2013.

?

How do you rate 7x06 "The Bells of St John"?

Poll closed Apr 9, 2013.
  1. Poor

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  2. Okay

17 vote(s)
    12.2%
  3. Good

21 vote(s)
    15.1%
  4. Great

39 vote(s)
    28.1%
  5. Outstanding

42 vote(s)
    30.2%
  6. Geronimo!!

18 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

Not so much of the threat being something behind you as something all around. I really enjoyed it.

Really liked the Doctor-Clara interactions. Good chemistry there.

Bring on the next seven episodes!! :)

2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Where's the poll?

3. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

I give this thread 0/5

As for the episode, it was pretty good. I like the Amelia Williams touch. Too much silly finger tapping though

Also, Clara seems to be falling into the "companion who is a puzzle" box. Which seems a bit silly since...we just went through that with the last one.

4. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

this thread should be exterminated for its lack of poll!

5. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

Redefines how action in Doctor Who can work, into something ahead all major action franchises in terms of stylishness and relevance to the modern world. He just kind of turns around and stuff.

Very educational for the kids too. Don't become like the baddie lady.
    Empowering also with the avatar business.

6. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

hey, i was just trying to help out coz no other bugger had set one up yet! :p

now for your viewing pleasure... a poll. enjoy :bolian:

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

That was really great. In Moff we trust...

8. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

So - the woman in the shop who gave Clara the Tardis phone number - presumably this was River Song right?

Moffat does not put stuff like that in for no reason, so we can safely assume it is River I guess!

9. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

Bit of a snore. I'm not sure I can remember it ever being so unengaging.

10. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

40 minutes to go over on this side of the pond... :techman:

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the plot. So a great intelligence needs brains uploaded to the cloud via wi-fi but first this connection must be established through a computer. The head matron looks to be sixty or so but reverts to a child at the end so she was recruited decades in advance of wi-fi? How did the wi-fi station end up upstairs? For that matter why did it end up upstairs?

Gotta retire the shit Doctor Who gags. The first "Doctor Who?" "No, just the Doctor." would've been subtle enough but oh no, bring out the clubs! The Clever Boy meme was kind of weird as well but I'll wait to see how that mystery unravels.

I thought the BBC wasn't supposed to do product placement? Apple, Facebook, Google, Twiiter, etc. this episode was rife with them.

How disappointing is it that the Doctor's wardrobe is under the console? Did the swimming pool take up too much room?

Sorry all my comments are on the negative side, the Doctor and Clara were charming, the motorcycle was fun, and there were some clever bits here, even the title, so it's not a complete loss but I wasn't crazy about the plot that they were wrapped in. Some nice visuals as well.

12. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

It looks like this ep got a bit of a lukewarm reception, but I'm still looking forward to seeing it, mainly due to Jenna Louise-Coleman's third version of her mystery character. Hopefully it'll be half as entertaining as the Christmas Special was.

13. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

So do we learn anything about Clara at all, or how she can possibly be the same dead person in Victorian England and in the future on a Dalek gulag? Or is just like, "Oh hey, Clara, there you are, must just be some timey-whimey thing!"

I'm hoping for more than that, but not getting my hopes up too much.

14. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Don't know about the connection between the three Claras, but the episode implies an origin for the 'Run you clever boy...' line. Clara says she picked up knowledge from having been through her experience in the episode, how much remains to be seen. We don't know who gave her the number to get a hold of the Doctor, except that it was a woman at a shop (computers, I guess) I wouldn't be surprised if it was River.

15. Mr. Adventure

That line appears before she picks up the knowledge though.

16. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Well, here we go stateside!

17. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

I really, really, really want to change my wifi password to "rycbar123" but it's probably not the best choice right now :)

18. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Knowledge gained, I was thinking of her hacking skills, not the 'run' line. Also, in the front page of her places to see book, two ages were skipped, 16 and 23, whether that is significant we will see. Keeping track of her names is intriguing for me. Oswin doesn't seem to be her name here, but a password name. In Asylum, I don't remember her using Clara, just Oswin Oswald, and the Victorian era had all three names. All three have been some kind of caretakers of others.

19. Mr. Adventure

Probably people renaming their networks to a bunch of symbols as well. :)

20. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

The latter. If you've seen The Eleventh Hour, you'll know how this plays out: she is a puzzle box, he knows something is up but for some reason doesn't explain that to her, he decides to bring her along to unravel the mystery.