DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

JLD#17-the adventure on the alternate planet where Magic has been restricted in the city of Epoch has been fun. Timothy Hunter riding a giant reptile beast on the last page was a cool visual. Madame Xanadu is barely hanging on to life. I hope Frankenstein sticks around after this adventure. I also would like to see Amaya join up. Been enjoying Sword of Sorcery but that's ending.

Aquaman #17 was a solid epilogue to Throne of Atlantis, the series has maintained high quality for it's whole run. More Mera would be my only minor quibble for this issue. I'm curious who the mystery figure is at issues end. We know it's not Orm. Someone new perhaps?

Batman Inc. #8 - Overall a good read. Maybe I've just read too many of these type death stories, maybe the industry has me jaded or maybe I just never connected with Damian the way some did. I didn't feel any real emotion at that last panel. I felt it was trying hard to invoke imagery from Jason's death, and the art was good. I think it felt hollow to me cause it seemed to happen very quick and the whole issue Batman is trapped in that vault then he's there. It just didn't resonate with me is all.

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It's more likely he was afraid of an internal revolt at DC if he had gone through with it. The last time he screwed over Moore over royalties, editors revolted and resigned in protest over what he did. We have seen how little respect he had towards creators like Mark Millar and Garth Ennis.

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

agreed.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

How I feel, as I wasn't too attached to Damien either.

5. Hound of UIster

The irony being that Manapul and Buccellato were criticizing how hokey the Rogues such as Zoom were and they are delivering an even worse product. Morons both of them.

6. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

As a long time Flash fan I find the current rogues to be absolutely terrible. Perhaps a real writer will have Abra Kadabra return and revert them all back to their more likeable and far superior forms.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

That sounds almost racist.

Like you want to track down all the bad writers in your neighbourhood and burn crosses on their front lawn.

8. Hound of UIster

Firing them would be the superior option.

9. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't even know Damian died, and wouldn't have until reading World's Finest next month. I wasn't the characters biggest fan, but I didn't hate him and he was growing on me. But his grandpa is the guy with the Lazarus pits, so I have a feeling that, eventually, Damien will be brought back.

Assuming the New 52 still has his grandpa and lazarus pits and hasn't retconned his grandpa into being a cyborg sent from the future as an excuse for why he is so old. It seems like something the idiots at DC would do, and since I don't read most of the horrible books staring batman (aka every one, with the possible exception of batman & Robin) I'm not sure what they've done to all of the villains. I wouldn't be surprised if Penguin is now like the one in Burton's movie, Man-Bat is an alien bat and Killer Moth is a man bitten by a radioactive moth :shifty:

As for dC's writers, I'd support shipping them to a deserted island, with food and water but where they would never be found or heard from again. Actually, they wouldn't need to send everyone (you wouldn't want to accidentaly send the one or two decent writers away). Just sending Snyder, Lobdell, johns, and Jim Lee (not a writer, but definately a bad influence) to the island would raise the quality of DC comics a lot.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sending Scott Snyder to that island would be a fatal mistake. Same with Johns since both "Batman" and "Aquaman" are among their best books.

11. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I wasn't thrilled with the Rogues becoming meta-humans, though I thought the issue explaining how it happened was pretty good. I would certainly not mind something like their powers all shutting down and being forced to return to the tech.

12. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

But, johns is writing the horrible Justice League. I like his GL stuff, and JSA/his run on justice Society remain some of my favorite comics, but he's just not the same anymore. The last nail in the coffin was when he turned my favorite superhero ever into a whiney, immoral jerk with a hole in his chest and made his arch nemesis into a bald hulk Hogan. At that point, I knew his ability to write anything not named GL (and sometimes Aquaman, some of its ok but the trench stuff and the things with Aquaman's "old" team was pretty lame) was gone, and that he's devolved into Frank Miller. Nobody stopped James Robinson, and we got Cry for Justice and the worst pre new 52 JL and JSA runs ever. They need to stop Johns before he loses the last of his ability and writes All Star Green Lantern.

13. Admiral_Young

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  14. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Agree with the Admiral,Johns is much better without Lee on JL. Johns also has a pretty good history as a writer. His Aquaman has been solid,however as with any writer trying to do to many series will affect the quality on all of them.

15. OdoWanKenobi

Justice League has been pretty great ever since Jim Lee left. It's obvious that he was one dragging the book down. Johns remains one of my favorite writers. Justice League, Green Lantern, and Aquaman are always enjoyable reads these days.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I cannot figure out who the heck you're talking about when you refer to this whiny, immoral jerk with a hole in his chest whose archnemesis is a bald Hulk Hogan. :wtf:

16. Admiral_Young

Hal Jordan and Sinestro? That's the only thing I could think of...

17. OdoWanKenobi

Hal's chest is intact, and last I looked Sinestro had hair and was skinny.

18. Admiral_Young

Yeah, I was referring to the whiny aspects of Hal...since he was talking about Johns and Justice League. Hal was a problem for me in the first arc too. I really have no clue who he could be talking about though.

19. OdoWanKenobi

I won't deny that Hal was a whiny jerk in the first arcs of Justice League and Green Lantern post New52. In Green Lantern, I chalk that up to him losing his ring. In Justice League, it's that evil influence of Jim Lee popping its head up again.

20. Admiral_Young

That's for sure. I'm amazed at the difference. I really hope that Lee allows Snyder to write on their Superman project, and he just concentrates on drawing. That's when he's at his best.