Sex and the City Prequel: The Carrie Diaries

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

They had a 10 minute preview on the CW Previews when they were also introducing Arrow, Emily Owens and Beauty and the Beast.

I was reasonably impressed, and with the "completion" of Gossip Girl there is a gap in the Universe to lather with some new teen filth.

Freema Ageman!

2. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Maybe a Romulan traveled back in time, changing Carrie's family history in the process, thus creating an alternate reality. Maybe one with lots of lens flares. :)

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's the link to what I read.

http://tvline.com/2013/01/13/the-carrie-diaries-season-1-spoilers/

With an oddly similar comment of...

:-p

4. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

“I wanted to meet her before she had sex, before she fell in love and before she met Manhattan,” said Harris. “I really wanted to explore that in the first season.” = Fuck you, fans! Amy B. Harris. What she's really saying is that the show must start with no sex and it can't be in a city. That's a compelling tribute to the original books.

Well... at least now's our chance to find out if Sex and the City continuity hounds are as rabid as science fiction fans.

"Respect teh canon11! Carrie's dad isn't dead and she hasn't had sex yet!!!11", and so forth.
    CW raped my childhood and so on.
    Charlotte shot first, etc.

Recipe for laughs and gags: De-raunched series plus continuity assfuck. I can't wait for this show. If it erases Sex and the City from existing, I stand to gain 40+ hours plus back plus two movies!

Solve for X:
    [ Sex + City ] - [ Sex + City ] = X

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Reminds me of the old Gene Siskel barometer for film criticism: "Is this movie more interesting than candid footage of the actors and directors having lunch?" :rommie:

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Yes, because it has the word "The" in the title.

7. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Just saw the premiere. I probably would have sampled this show then bailed, but I enjoyed Sex and the City and thought this was a good enough compliment to that series that I hope to stick around. The production quality matches that of Sex and the City and I can already see a lot of the older Carrie in this younger version. I'd think that things would start getting exciting when she becomes sexually active, assuming the show gets that far and they don't try to sidestep the issue, but she's been described as more of a romantic, so I can see them downplaying the sexual component.

I don't remember much about Carrie's backstory but I read that this is an issue. I don't like when prequels mess with continuity like this and I hope they can explain away any seeming contradictions.

I also read that when Carrie first moved to the city, she met Samantha Jones, who then became her guide and mentor. Looks like that role is being filled by someone else, but I think Samantha can still fit. This other girl is a bit on the shady side, so maybe Samantha will come to the rescue. If Samantha is indeed one of her first friends in the big city, then she'll probably have to show up pretty soon if the series lasts.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  8. Guy Gardener

Not time travel.

What about identity theft?

The Carey Bradshaw we've known all these years shows up, switches wallets, and pushes this punk kid under a train.

9. Agent Richard07

^ Very clever.

10. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I didn't watch this, but I just read that they are using the post-9/11 skyline. I'm torn on that - I understand the sensitivity about it, but I really dislike revisionist history.

11. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is it revisionist history or the fiscal realities of TV production?

12. Guy Gardener

There's a million hours of stock footage of the Manhatten skyline pre 911.

Less if you don't count the black and white.

And even less if it looks like it's been through an instigram filter.

And even less if you don't count the stuff with something obviously dated in it.

Even after all that, if there's only dozens of hours of usable footage... I doubt they'll make dozens of hours of this tv show.

It's not very good.

Mark me, it's very well made functionally.

Just not very compelling.

My hackels were incumbently sheafed.

Wait?

So the terrorists in the 1978 Spider-Man movie DID nuke the World Trade Centre?

Is Carrie Bradshaw living in a WORLD WITHOUT SPIDER-MAN?

13. Agent Richard07

I didn't notice.

14. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Probably a healthy dash of both. :)

15. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It took me out of it, too. They went to great lengths to re-create the 80s otherwise. Sad.

The show's watchable but there's too much other good stuff on TV.

This is an observation rather than a criticism: the woman playing young Carrie appears to be channeling the Sarah Jessica Parker interpretation of the character.

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Ummm... Why wouldn't she? Isn't SJP the character she's playing?!

I recorded this out of curiosity but I've not watched it yet. Using the post-9/11 skyline was just dumb. First of all, it's been 11+ years now, I think people can handle seeing the WTC in an establishing shot of a show taking place pre-9/11. It's really just a time/continuity nightmare. Wouldn't it have been easier to just make establishing shots of NYC that don't include the WTC part of the skyline?

17. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure, but in HD? Probably, though it could be harder to get hold of, and might stick out as obvious stock footage when thrown into the mix.

... Moreover, the target demo for the show is probably too young to notice the towers' absence. And it's pretty much impossible not to wince now when you do see pictures of them, thus creating tone issues. To take it to an extreme, one could posit the show takes place in a reality in which the towers were never built in the first place.

But I grant it is kind of strange.

18. Guy Gardener

Nothing says time travel like seeing that really isn't supposed to exist.

Fringe when they finally started jaunting to the mirror universe and Life on Mars (US) practically aired right on top of one another using the Two Towers as a huge fuck you right up moment.

"I haven't travelled through time, I haven't travelled through time, I haven't travelled through time, I haven't travelled through time, I haven't travelled through time,oh Look The World Trade Centre grew back.. Fuck?

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

If it's on film it can be made into HD.

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I don't think y'all should get too hung up on the skyline. The show also uses modern covers of songs, so they're not exactly killing themselves to be '80s accurate.