Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

And that was a huge paragraph.

2. Adm. Bonz

Adm. Bonz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like!:bolian:

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Time for Star Wars: The Next Generation.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

How does that muddy the waters? On the contrary, it sounds pretty cut and dried to me.

5. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Famously Lucas told Mark Hamill back in the 1980s that he'd be playing a mentor role in a sequel trilogy that'd begin filming in 2011.

Now Lucas is writing the treatment for these movies, soooo...

6. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Re: Disney to Acquire Lucasfilm

When I saw the news this morning (my time), I was like "WTF?!" And then I LOL'd.

Does this mean SW films will be Disneyfied?

Everyone's talking about SW, but this also means Indiana Jones, correct?

Interesting times. And probably a sign of the coming apocalypse (52 days, folks!)

7. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

So, Disney are gonna be making Episodes I-III? I remember seeing the drafts of those episodes, they seemed very promising, a shame they never ever got to shooting them with real actors and script.

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

And now the prophecy has come to pass.

Amongst all the talk of Star Wars, has there been any mention of continuing Indiana Jones? That interests me far more (as long as they don't recast the role).

9. Blip

Blip Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Haaaah, I see what you did there!

10. Eddie Roth

Eddie Roth Commodore Commodore

On the contrary. Legacy was one of the most vibrant and exciting stories to ever come out of the EU. A bit overly complicated in some places, maybe, but altogether a worthy Star Wars epic.

That said, your statement regarding the quality of the EU by and large has some truth to it. The appeal of the whole idea of having tie-in novels, comic books, video games etc and declaring their stories "official" is that the SW universe (which would otherwise only have 6 films) has become all that larger and more detailed in that way. I personally have often felt that my appreciation for the films and their details (background characters, events that are but mentioned) has only increased by having read a SW book that focuses on that particular detail. Nevertheless, far too often, the EU writers tend to be formulaic and their stories thus forgettable.

I imagine, since the EU has been considered canon and official for so many years (GL has included EU creations into the films, as you know: Aayla Secura, for one), so I don't think they will go out of their way to contradict it, but possibly in individual aspects. One thing I could easily see them do is take back Chewbacca's death in the NJO, if only for the reason that they feel the character should get another chance to be seen on the screen - or respectively that it would be anticlimactic to the casual fan to simply learn in a piece of dialogue in Episode VII that Chewie died when a moon fell on him.

Maybe the future of the current EU will be something like the old Marvel comics: They represent the "rest" of the story to satisfy the needs of an early-80s audience. Today, I don't think anyone considers e.g. Jaxxon the 6-feet-tall green space pirate rabbit "canon" anymore in any significant sense. All that followed either explicitly or implicitly superceded that. But those who remember him and these stories from their childhood comic book reading may hold them dear and relevant anyway.

We'll see. But it's beyond exciting to hear that SW will indeed continue on the big screen, and so soon. Seeing that GL's original story treatments will be used (while other people will bring a fresh perspective to the realization of same), I'm confident that these will be films I will love as much as the old ones.

11. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Has any been reading some of the comments on twitter? Some comments have been LOL moments.

Nothing yet. I did read something about Ford won't do another action type film due to his age. I would love to see it recasted, as it's worked for Bond.

12. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not going to turn my nose up at anyone attempting more epic sci-fi movies. There are not nearly enough of them as it is. But I won't hold my breath on them being good just yet...

13. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

So then, the most successful independant film company of all time is now part of the Disney empire? I'm not sure it's a good thing.

14. Eddie Roth

That's precisely the way I've always seen it. Which bodes well for the new films.

15. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Can I just say, I don't give a damn about Mara Jade? I mean, I really, really don't. To me, that's fanboi stuff.

I too wonder about Indiana Jones. The silence is loud.

Edit: found a partial answer:
    In other words, tough titties, IJ fans.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  16. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

That is odd, unless George just wanted to "cash out" and not have to help run the company any more.

Lucasfilm only really has two iconic properties, SW and Indiana Jones, and Disney has already said that they have no plans for an Indy 5 for the forseeable future, thanks to financial entanglements with Paramount.

17. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

This attitude is becoming commonplace in the industry. Companies are less and less interested in cross-studio efforts outside simple distribution channels.

Similar thinking torpedoed an X-men related pitch Rob Liefeld made to the comics division of Marvel a couple of years ago. He was told by Editorial that "Marvel has no interest in developing new IP concepts for Fox studios" (Fox holds the rights to the X-Men films.)

It may also explain why the popular and well-received Spectacular Spider-Man animated series was yanked summarily in favor of Ultimate Spider-man.

18. Eddie Roth

Surely you're joking? Red Letter Media hilarious? I find them not one iota funny, any very annoying and banal instead.

19. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Same here. Red Letter Media is pretty tedious as far as I'm concerned. I tried to enjoy its content at first because I'd heard some good things about it from a couple of online sources but it quickly wore out its welcome and I now steer clear of it. I can't remember the last time I visited the site.

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if they will retcon Chewbacca's death. That'll be the ultimate middle finger to NJO.