Need a good starter episode for a newbie

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by emergencyfruit, Aug 28, 2012.

1. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

I'm glad this thread got bumped so I got to see it.

I'm curious how the rest of this story went down. It seems to me that someone could like Balance and Corbomite, and not like seasons two and three, what with the changes of producers etc.

2. TheRealSuluh

TheRealSuluh Ensign Red Shirt

I second both "Space Seed" and "The Trouble With Tribbles".

"Space Seed" because it introduces Khan and you'd have to have lived under a rock for the last 35 years not to know who Khan Noonien Singh is.

"The Trouble With Tribbles" because it is one of the most famous episodes outside Trek-dom. Bonus points if you watch "Trials & Tribble-ations" from DS9, too. In fact, I'd probably watch that episode of DS9 as a "gateway episode" to TOS.

If he's a gamer, get him hooked on STO (Star Trek Online). Then he'll have to work his way through all the series so that he can keep up with the 'verse.

3. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Count me in! Cosplayers can be dangerous, though.

By the way, did anyone else think red lipstick on a green woman looked a little weird? (That is, unless Orions are red-blooded. Blush response and all that.)

5. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Since it was a Star Wars fan (original trilogy) that needed to be "turned" I agree that the cat-and-mouse play of "Balance of Terror" was (obviously) a good choice as it's similar to events in "The Empire Strikes Back".

"The Corbomite Maneuver" (it was the first regular episode of TOS, most impressive!) revealed that Captain Kirk wouldn't have been up to play a game of poker with Han Solo. Understandably the ghost of Bill Shatner told the protagonist in Meyer-Burnett's "Free Enterprise" to kick the butt of the Star Wars antagonist who claimed Han Solo was cooler than Captain Kirk (:wtf: Can you believe that?).

And then there is "The Doomsday-Machine" that obviously came before the Death Star of Star Wars. Another concept pretty palatable to a Star Wars fan and revealing that some ideas of Star Wars had been there first in TOS (even if the VFX, admittedly, didn't look that great).

Bob

6. Metryq

And pretty much all of the ideas existed pre-STAR TREK, too. I would not be surprised if FORBIDDEN PLANET had strongly influenced Roddenberry.

"Balance of Terror" is the TOS version of THE ENEMY BELOW.

In an interview, Spinrad said "The Doomsday Machine" was MOBY DICK inspired, but I had always thought it was derived from Saberhagen's BERSERKER. And if you want super-weapons, the Disruptor from Edmond Hamilton's THE STAR KINGS (which is also very STAR WARS-like) can destroy "space itself."

TOS is a great show for any sci-fi fan, as many stories are based on popular novels and short stories. Many episodes were written by popular sci-fi writers. That STAR TREK succeeded so well outside the genre is a tribute to the synergy of all the threads that make it up.

[​IMG]

7. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Apparently it did. Considering that the two Star Trek pilots dealt with mind power stories (not very original after FORBIDDEN PLANET) I'm relieved they got their act together and presented a solid and original Star Trek story with "The Corbomite Maneuver" highlighting the adventureous but also dangerous business of going where no man had gone before.

Yes. Now was it Curd Jürgens or Hardy Krüger playing the German submarine captain :D?

Indeed, Commodore Decker displayed quite an Ahab Complex.
    Much better though than what we saw with Khan in ST II (too derivative, IMHO, I would have expected more ingenuity from the "superior intellect" ;)).

Bob

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I know the decision was made in August, but "Space Seed" is also a good choice. It was one of the earliest episodes released in VHS, to tie in with the video release of TWOK (there was even a trailer for the film).

9. Metryq

Do you know of any documentation? I'm not doubting you—I made the suggestion myself. I was just wondering if any of the TREK books mention this definitively.

And while FORBIDDEN PLANET is Shakespeare's THE TEMPEST in space, SERENITY (the FIREFLY feature film) made several allusions to both:
    • C-57D is the registration number of the United Planets cruiser. We see the name number on the crashed "Research & Rescue" ship on Miranda. A smaller craft (shuttle?) with the number is also found on Miranda.
    • Miranda is the name of the "forbidden planet" in SERENITY, and also the name of Prospero's daughter in THE TEMPEST.
    • The crew of Serenity confront an "id monster" in the form of the Reavers.
    One of the most TREK-like aspects of FORBIDDEN PLANET is the scene where engineer Quinn is telling the captain how difficult it will be to replace a certain piece of damaged equipment. Adams cuts the engineer short, "All right, it's impossible. How long will it take?"

"Scotty, I need warp speed in three minutes, or we're all dead."

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

A good story can compensate for lacklustre effects, the reverse is not true however the best effects in the world can't compensate for a lacklustre story.