Official TrekBBS Fantasy Baseball thread!

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Scout101, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Ok, down to needing 4 players. Any other last minute joins? Will probably kill this one on Monday or Tuesday if we don't have it filled by then...

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So we've finally come to the point of lack of interest in a yearly Fantasy Baseball League for the Trekbbs? Tis a sad day I think. Yeah I know a lot of people here don't care about sports and stuff like that, but it seems like a lot of people who did either left, or have discontinued to post here, which I guess is the same thing.

I hope we do get 4 more people by the time of the draft, but now I don't know if we well. I don't know anyone personally who is interested, which is why I really haven't pursued it, and I try to keep my real life and internet life separate always. I remember though there was a time when there was a ton of interest but that has really dwindled in the last few years. I know life takes precedence, but if you have time to post here, than you have time to play Fantasy Baseball, which isn't that much anyway.

I would be interested in a Keeper League but I've always had a confusion/problem with it. If someone joins a keeper league kind of late in the game, doesn't that provide an unfair advantage. If everyone is keeping the stars, than someone who hasn't been in the league is left with the scrub players. Is it really that bad or am I off base here? Seems like it's too late to join any kind of Keeper league.

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Think part of the problem is we've already got the keeper league, so most of the people that would play anyway are already in that one, and most aren't doing both. Either way, with only a couple days left and 4 spots to fill, I'm going to go ahead and kill the yearly league for this year. I've asked around everyone I can think of (we only got to 8 players because I had a work friend in it), just doesn't look like it's gonna happen this year.

As for the Keeper league question, you can only keep 6 players, so not as much of an advantage as you're thinking. The new owner would take over a team, not start from scratch, so he has his own roster to make picks from as well, plus gets first shot at anyone not kept, before the regular draft start. Either way, Coaster found a buddy to take the spot, so we're good for the time being.

4. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

Seems like leagues have been harder to fill since the establishment of the Sports and Fitness forum. There's not the traffic here that there is in Miscellaneous. Oh well, I decided to join a public league on Yahoo instead.

Sure wish I hadn't gone into panic mode a couple of times during the keeper league draft. The time seemed to drag when others were picking, but when I was on the clock, the time seemed to fly by. My team's not a total disaster, but I could have done better.

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, maybe next year if someone bows out I might be able to get into the Keeper League?

Ok, maybe not but I really can't talk that much about fantasy Baseball here this year. I did join two leagues (One just basic on ESPN and the other for another board I post at on Yahoo) so I'm pretty good. Maybe I can get fantasy advice every so often? Hope it's a good year.

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

sure, you can be on the waiting list :p

7. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

actually, had one guy that didn't select keepers or show up for the draft, so that spot might open up sooner than you think...

8. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    ^No.

Screwed up the date for keeper selection and had another commitment on draft day. Autodraft did pretty good by me though. Only really screwed up two positions and I really can't blame it for selecting Joe Nathan. My second baseman though.....:wtf::wtf::confused:

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Good to hear, thought you'd quit on us. As a tip, though, should always go in over the winter and select 'probable' keepers, that way if shit hits the fan, at least you've got something already in the system and don't lose any of your best players...

10. Pegaritaville

Just a reminder to get your rosters set.

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Might wanna get on that again, you still haven't done anything with the team, and Coaster added a co-owner because of it. Gotta either start doing something, even if only weekly, or let him know...

12. Captain Ice

For some reason, it won't let me add players to my roster. It let me add one when I put Nathan on the DL, but when I dropped Kevin Gregg to add another starter, it won't let me add the starter.

13. Captain Ice

Anyone have an extra closer or catcher they might be interested in trading?

14. Pegaritaville

Sorry, can't help with either of those positions. One of the problems with autopick is that it can't adjust for what others are doing and closers went early in our draft. They went so early it threw me off my plan to lock up decent closers early. Now I'm scrambling as well- one of my closers has already been demoted and I wouldn't be surprised if others get the boot as well. Never thought John Rauch would be my star closer.

I was lucky to finish the first week at 5-5. My team is still kind of in flux and I'm having a hard time deciding what adjustments to make. At least my Yahoo team is solid- that team kicked ass the first week.

15. Captain Ice

Actually, since Neftali Perez and Kevin Gregg are now closers, I'm ok there. Still a little worried about Soto, but managed to grab Chris Snyder pretty fast when Montero went down so I'm covered there for a while.

16. Pegaritaville

Wow, my team in the keeper league really sucked last week. Went 0-9-1 against McCosh Almighties. A tough opponent, but I wasn't expecting that result. Guess my team may need more than just some tweaking.

17. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

too early to say, really. Until they all get into the groove, weather gets nicer, etc. Hell, I haven't even gotten my starting 2B off the DL yet!

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

*moving this out of the MLB discussion*

Yep, that worked out pretty good on my part. After about 50 trade proposals, finally found one that shook Pujols loose for me. After a crazy first start, was tempted to see where it goes with Strasburg (14 Ks, 0 walks!?!), but chance to get Pujols was too much to pass up!

Come on, a trade for the #1 overall player just happened, if that doesn't liven up the thread a little, what WILL? Maybe if I can get Coaster to trade me Utley? :p

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

nothing, huh? :p

20. Pegaritaville

Kind of neat that you guys had a head-to-head match so soon after the big trade. Still too early to see who got the better end of the deal, though. It might end up being one of those rare trades where both sides benefit equally.

Right now, my TrekBBS team is wallowing in mediocrity and my Yahoo team is in shambles. I'm still trying to salvage the season, but part of me thinks I should concentrate on the up coming football season instead.