Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, I probably wouldn't mind as much if the lighting style was at least consistent through any individual episode. But it seems to fluctuate wildly depending on what stock shot they use, or if there's another ship in the picture.

And then of course the quality of the planets is all over the place as well.

2. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

As long as they don't mess up season 3, that's the main thing.

3. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWGl7asld3E[/yt]

4. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

I have to say I'm really enjoying season 2 of TNG on blu ray HD. I've read all the pages on this thread some great stuff here keep it coming. Some things that I have taken in is as follows.

1. Yes I've noticed that the HD effects of the Enterprise are not as good as season 1 hopefully this will be addressed in later seasons some scenes are as good as season 1 if I hadn't read some of the comments here I would have not noticed the differences but it would of bugged me that some scenes don't look right .

2. I have to say I really enjoyed the season opener The Child all the changes to the characters and there positions this really stands out for me now more than ever I could remember it.

3. Some episodes in season 2 were a bit ropey and unintresting to me when I was growing up while watching this fantastic series but now I have grown older. I'm loving the episodes I hated when I was a kid. Just watched The Measure Of A Man brilliant story and some great acting !!!!

4. Other things I noticed the reveal of characters such as chief Obrien and I wished they could of used doctor selar more. Also enjoying how different Dr Pulaski is to Dr crusher character, she remind me of Dr McCoy character in TOS.

So as you can see I'm really enjoying this blu ray HD moment can't wait for season three possible the best season of the seven years and my favorite !!!

5. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

That was nice, but I wish it didn't have the whole alien rape thing attached to it. Troi may be the sayer of the obvious, but she shouldn't be treated as a walking incubator who gets a super convenient reset switch like nothing happened.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, the "alien rape" thing is glossed over and all-but ignored in the episode. It'd be one thing if Troi was impregnated without any awareness of what happened but she obviously had a reaction to the entity in her bed and knew there was a "presence" in her room. Now, it obviously wasn't a violent, horrible, rape with her screaming and crying in fear so maybe "rape" is a strong word but something was pushed upon her by a foreign entity without her willingness. It should have been addressed better.

7. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I was watching "Up the Long Ladder" when I spotted an in-joke. The SS Mariposa carried Banzai Pipeline Surfboards.

8. davejames

Yeah I have to admit, when I was a teenager I didn't care as much for the quieter, more thoughtful episodes either. It was mainly just the cool, action-packed ones I wanted to see.

But now I'm finding that eps like Symbiosis and Loud as a Whisper are a lot more interesting than I gave them credit for.

9. BrEnDoN

BrEnDoN Lieutenant Red Shirt

I've completed 3.5 years of film school and have for the last 2 years been working at a somewhat high profile post production house and am a filmmaker myself. My knowledge of OAR isn't lacking, I know a fair bit about the subject, you just assume it is because my opinion differs from yours.

For some people, maybe, but for me, it's not about 'filling my screen', I don't care about having my screen filled. If I did, I wouldn't watch 2.39:1 movies in their OAR. But I love that aspect ratio and don't care about the black bars. For me, what it comes down to, is that I think the show looks better with the wider image and the slightly tighter framing that comes along with it, and I appreciate the choice of being able to view it that way. I understand it's not my show, I didn't work on it, it was theirs and they were the filmmakers who framed it how it is. It is, however, my bluray to watch in my home how I wish.

I'm not against watching shows in 4x3 aspect ratio, I still do it all the time. Even when I watch TNG on tv. (but that's mainly because trying to zoom in on the current broadcast versions is just too much of a drop in image quality :))

I know you have said it's my choice and I appreciate that. It's just the part about my knowledge being 'lacking' I take issue with because you don't know me.

I realise that now. It's just your post came after a couple that did mention me directly. And since yours was the last post it's the one I replied to.

Nothing to figure out...

10. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Yeah especially noticeable in The Measure of a Man when Maddox is seen on the bridge. Yikes.

11. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re AR - I'd prefer 16:9, but not at the expense of reducing the overall PQ by either cropping or stretching.

It's a shame that you don't have the option for both, but if it has to be one then I'd stick with the OAR.

In general, with CBSD in control of the S3 set then I'm hoping for the PQ of S1, with no audio screwups this time.

12. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re The Child - I enjoyed the episode, even though it's a bit of a duffer - but f*ck me, what was going on with the grain levels? In the first few minutes you have a scene in Picard's readyroom where it looks like it's been DNR'd, and then as Riker exits back onto the bridge it looks as though someone's just thrown a handful of sand across the screen.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against film grain, but the inconsistency within this episode is pretty distracting at times.

13. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

It's not just with the Child. Its spread throughout the entire season. Pen Pals for example, look amazing. However, Q Who?, looked downright awful at times.

14. davejames

Finally got to Measure of a Man (at least the original version) and I understand what people are talking about with the observation louge scene. Holy crap, the DNR was so heavy the characters almost looked like they were CG!

Also bummed to see they didn't try to improve the 2-footer shots at all. In HD it basically looks like a little toy next to the space station (especially with how bright HTV likes everything to be).

More and more, I'm starting to agree with those who think CBS needs to go back and redo this season at some point. It'll never happen... but man, does it ever need to. :(

15. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Start an online petition, make some noise, but never say never. If enough attention is garnered, CBS will listen.

16. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is it me, or is the live footage of "Unnatural Selection" exceptionally sharper than the previous converted episodes? I just watched this episode and everything is to the pixel crystal clear sharp, while the previous episode is a little more blurry overall.

17. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, nearly two weeks after release my copy ordered from Best Buy finally arrived in the mail.

Watched the first three episodes. Enjoyed them all. Yes, there were scenes where the film grain was pretty heavy. Whatcha gonna do?

The casualness of the "alien rape" mentioned above, yes, noticed that, wondered why they were so nonchalant about it.

But more importantly, something I noticed (and I"m sure it's not new)... how were Geordi and Data able to take Moriarty's sketch of the Enterprise off the holodek??? Shouldn't that paper have disappeared as soon as they walked out??? The holographic paper made it all the way to the observation lounge!

18. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, it an often discussed blooper. It's been explained as the holodeck using a combination of projections, forcefields and replicated matter. In this case, the paper was replicated. However, this was actually a story point that was dropped due to a deleted scene.

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

At this point we had already seen replicated matter leave the holodeck, so it's not really a blooper at all.

20. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nothing, as that's how it should look. If there is actually one thing HTV did right is that they didn't DNR the live action stuff. Go watch any 80's movie and you'll see the grain is there. It's inherent to the filmstock they used back in the eighties (which granted wasn't as good as quality as they used in the nineties.