A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by TheGodBen, Jan 24, 2010.

1. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Well, given that they were drone insects, I imagine that's exactly how they saw it.

2. 2.5 stars sounds about right for No Compromises and many of the episodes in the 1st half of S5 (though I think the next one, ep 2, is one of the better ones). Thoroughly mediocre, and I find Lochley to be a dreadfully boring character. Especially when she tries to act tough with that cracking voice of hers. Uh, sure, whatever.

3. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pat Tallman speaks VERY highly of Robin Atkin Downes as an actor and a close friend on her facebook page. I love Pat dearly, and... well, I'm sure he's a decent friend.

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^There are many reasons by Byron is annoying; Robin Atkin Downes certainly isn't one of them. I think had the character been used as originally intended then he would not, I think, have worn out his welcome so quickly.

Well actually she's...nah, I ain't gonna spoil the surprise. ;)

Seriously though, Lochley is actually one of my favourite characters. She doesn't have a lot to do but she makes the most out of her one season and I think ended up being a much more well rounded character than Ivanova was by the end of season one.

Trivia: Tracy Scoggins had originally gone in for the part of Dr. Trent in 'Thirdspace', which as I recall was the last thing Claudia Christian did before leaving the show.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Robin Atkin Downes has done a lot of quality voice acting over the years. I don't think the acting was the biggest issue with Byron. His whole storyline just never felt quite right.

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I can't say I have much love for Lochley. She didn't really come into her own as a character until "Crusade."

7. Sykonee

Sykonee Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Y'know, I wonder if it should be pointed out that some of this Byron discussion might be spoilerish? Or is the character's notoriety simply common knowledge? ;)

8. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I always thought Lochley was kind of sexy. I liked her voice.

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked Lochley, especially in River of Souls, but that's getting ahead of ourselves.

Would it be spoilerish if I mentioned the Love Bat scene was her best scene. :guffaw:

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't call it a spoiler per see, but if we just say that Corwin gave Lochley his "love bat" and leave it at that, I think it'll only encourage TGB to go watch the film. ;)

11. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

Thanks to him we get to see Lyta very out of uniform?

I saw him at a conventon once. It was one of the highlights of that year due to RAD being a really nice and funny guy.

And he isn't a fan of Byron either. ;)

edit: added spoiler-tags.

12. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Good point. :lol:

Oh, of course. There's nothing wrong with the actor. He's fine. It's just the character, who I was never able to become interested in.

13. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She's Sheridan's mother? His sister? His old girlfriend that he invited to the station so he could have a bit on the side?

The possibilities are endless!

It's common knowledge, I've seen people being critical of the character a few times, and in a thread about shows jumping the shark, Byron joining B5 was mentioned as such a moment. I expected him to be more of a spoilt young protégé, I had no idea he was a telepath. He hasn't been too annoying so far, except for his hair.

14. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Here's a question...why is it that so many comments critical of Byron focus on his hair??

Jan

15. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It reinforces his crazed cult leader image.

17. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

How so? It's neat, clean and well cared for. Marcus' was pretty much the same length but nobody ever had an issue with his.

Jan

18. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Marcus' hair just worked a lot better.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Mostly I think it makes him look like a ponce.
    Mind you if that's what people are mostly focusing on then there can't be that much wrong with the writing and characterisation after all.

Ah, but you see Marcus also had a beard which makes all the difference! Plus he could sing Gilbert and Sullivan, hit people with a big metal stick and said "bugger". Those things always win a character extra points in the awesomeness department.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Marcus had a beard that made him more like an Errol Flynn swashbuckler type. Byron's long hair made him look like he was either a hippie or a cult leader neither of which are popular nowadays or back in 90s.