Spoilers TP: Raise the Dawn by DRGIII Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Jun 17, 2012.

?

Rate Raise the Dawn.

1. Outstanding

84 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Above Average

26 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Average

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Below Average

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Poor

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Typhon Pact: Raise the Dawn by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Quick question, in which novel was it covered that the Progenitor had died and the Great Link had dispersed?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Re: Typhon Pact: Raise the Dawn by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Worlds of Deep Space Nine: The Dominion: Olympus Descending, also by DRGIII.

3. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here are some random thoughts I jotted down while reading RtD:

What’s with the Shakespeare quotes? I’m curious to know why some writers insert quotes from classic literature between at the beginning of chapters and sections.

I’m glad DRG III explained why Sela doesn’t change her appearance to be more Romulan, because it pushes her strive harder. Her appearance hadn’t made sense to me considering her rejection of her humanity but now it does.

Nechayev is still alive so I guess Blind Man’s Bluff didn’t happen.

I like that Bacco references events from Serpents Among Ruins. Then John Harriman came to visit Vaughn? He’s still alive? Where has he been hiding out? I wish we could have seen that visit documented.

The book refers to the UFP logo having “a pair of stylized wheat stalks”. Aren't these supposed to be olive branches?

Both Kira and Kassidy get visions from the Prophets. Kira’s vision and the subsequent events show the prophets are able and willing to protect Sisko’s family. Kassidy’s vision says she has to let him follow his own path and if she doesn’t let him he won’t come back which implies if she lets him keep his Starfleet career, they can still be together. Why do neither of them tell Sisko of their visions? Kira’s vision could assure him of divine protection for his family.

How is Weyoun still able to be cloned? In the show, Weyoun said he would be the last after an alpha quad cloning facility was destroyed. He was pretty affected by this.

DRG III sure seems to enjoy using the word “’fresher”. It is used an a lot in this book.

4. mindx2

mindx2 Commander Red Shirt

Haven't read BMB, what happens to Nechayev? How does this effect PAD's New Frontier "book continuity" with the rest?
    I thought the same thing when reading that part. Did I miss/ forget an explanation in any of the previous books (Worlds of DS9, etc.)?

5. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe somewehere in the gamma quadrant there were hidden weyoun clones hiding out on some planet . He sure seemed to have no problem reappearing when you least expected him to.:rommie: Just when you thought he was gone for good.

6. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I think Olympus Descending explained how Weyoun was cloned again.

7. Christopher

The current Weyoun, Weyoun 9, was previously seen in Rising Son, Olympus Descending, and Warpath. It was only the Alpha Quadrant cloning facility that was destroyed; there were presumably copies of Weyoun's genetic/personality template back home in Dominion space.

8. mindx2

mindx2 Commander Red Shirt

Thanks Christopher. It's been so long since I read those that I totally forgot about it.

9. chris_masters5

chris_masters5 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Me too - go figure indeed ! :)

11. MatthiasRussell

I'm assuming Weyoun 9 wouldn't have the memories of the Alpha Quad Weyoun then. So the Weyoun in the tv series was saddened because his unique experiences would die with him.

12. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I just bought my ePub eBook copy and I'm looking forward to it being my next read.

13. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Weyoun knew who Jake was in Rising Son, so the memories of the previous Weyoun(s) must have be recovered somehow.

14. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've finally written my review for Raise the Dawn. Wow, what a ride! So much greatness in this book. I love that DS9 is relevant again!

15. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

After much messing around and a couple of complaints and a (not) canceled order, Amazon UK emailed me to say it would be sent on 24th August, followed by another email saying it would be sent yesterday, I am pleased to report that the last communication was correct - it's just arrived !

Off to read now...

16. MatthiasRussell

Knowing who Jake was is different than remembering Jake so this doesn't mean they recovered his memories.

I just remembered, the female Founder was also saddened at the loss of Weyoun. It seems to me she wouldn't have if she knew there were more of him back home.

17. MatthiasRussell

I just rememebered that DRG III's trilogy never mentioned Sisko's baseball. I was hoping it would be mentioned if it was with him on the Robinson or at home with his daughter.

18. BrentMc

BrentMc Commander Red Shirt

I loved raise the dawn. I see it as duality of both an ending and a new beginning for DS9. Star Trek is more about the characters for me than about the ships or stations, so I wouldn't be too excited to read future DS9 novels with the old station, but a new crew. I am much happier looking forward to future books with our favorite characters from the series with the new station.

I look forward to finding out what happens to Kira. I know we haven't seen the last of her.

It will be interesting to see if the wormhole returns. I bet it does.

People have mentioned returning Odo via slipstream. Just how fast is slipstream? How long would it take?

Will Sisko and Picard have a storyline together where they get to know one another and Sisko stops thinking of Picard as Locutis? Maybe there has been in a book I have not read...

Will Sisko leave Starfleet, of bring his family on board Robinson?

That's what makes this such a good book. It sets the stage for exciting new adventures and leaves you asking questions. I look forward to continuing this storyline.

19. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When Sisko encounters the Weyoun for the first time in season 4 (I believe that was Weyoun4 btw), it was a GQ original Weyoun, he mentioned to Sisko that they had extensive files on him. That would suggest that he knew about Sisko's family as well.

20. Christopher

Depends on the portrayal. "Hope and Fear" put it at 20,000 light-years per month, but "Timeless" had Voyager cover 10,000 light-years in a couple of minutes. The VGR relaunch has assumed it's somewhere in between those, requiring maybe a couple of weeks to reach the nearest edge of the Delta Quadrant (about 30 kly away). In any case, it would take no more than a few months tops to reach the Dominion.