DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ You pretty much got it all.

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I wasn't sure, I assumed it was, and that's why they chose to walk when they did, that their ending of the arc they wouldn't change.

3. Admiral_Young

The article if I read it correctly, clarifies their final run which included the wedding which would have been the conclusion. So the confrontation between Bruce and Kate. The reveal of Director Bones' past and his connection to the Kane's, etc all of it leading to the wedding.

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Just read Justice League 24 and it was pretty good. So are we going to see a good Darkseid? Or is there just one evil Darkseid out to destroy all worlds?

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Any bets on who the menace from Earth-3 is? Since it destroyed Krypton I assumed it was Brainiac, but I'm hoping for something different.

Isn't it true the New Gods exist outside of our normal universe, so that there is only a single version of them in the 52 Multiverse? So could the menace be our Darkseid from the main continuity? I recall in the "52" weekly series that when they directly translate from their native dimension they appear as a skyscraper sized giant, and Mother Box usually converts them down to human size.

6. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I was laughing my head off at Ultraman's origin. That was just brilliant. "Shut up and die, Lara." :lol:

Then when Black Adam showed up, I had to let out a "fuck yeah!"

7. Savage Dragon

Yup. I thoroughly enjoyed that issue. Explains Ultraman snorting Kryptonite like cocaine.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just finished a marathon re-reading of the entire Morrison Batman run and I realized that he does over and over and over again. He has the characters shout everything in exclamations, and they always shout the name of the character they're addressing.

Batman! I've caught you in a trap you'll never escape from. etc

9. Admiral_Young

Part of it is homaging the 60's show.

10. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Probably an homage of the entire Silver Age, since Morrison has a definite affinity for that time period.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Now I gotta try some of his non-Bat comics and see if he always does that or not :lol:

12. Savage Dragon

I just read Superman #24 this morning. I wonder if Lois is gong to remember that Clark is Superman when she comes out of her coma.

13. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Picked up the TPB of Green Lantern: The End today. I'm still undecided about whether it's best to just leave it there (though I also plan to get GLC TPB 3 to fill in their parts of the battle against the First Lantern) or bother with any of the Lights Out stuff.

14. OdoWanKenobi

While that does make a good ending for the whole Green Lantern saga (I still can't believe they let Johns do that) the new stuff has been pretty strong. Lights Out is already better than both Rise of the Third Army and Wrath of the First Lantern combined (last issue not withstanding.) Red Lanterns especially has gotten the shot in the arm it needed, with Guy Gardner making the jump over. I never could have imagined it would become my favorite Lantern title.

15. Admiral_Young

Why's the ending so hard to believe they let him do that? It's not like any of the new writers will have to adhere it. I took it as like Morrison's alternative Batman Beyond universe or his now alternate apocalyptic future. More like a glimpse of possible futures for those characters rather than definitive ones. I didn't think it was a big deal and a nice treat to bookend his run. Plus he's Geoff Johns...I don't think he gets told "No" that much from DiDio.

16. OdoWanKenobi

Ture, Johns can pretty much do whatever he wants. It's just that when you're making a monthly publication, you never give people a jumping off point that good. Especially not when you're talking about one of DC's most iconic and best selling characters.

17. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

The future of the characters is "far" in the future though. There is nothing ever going to be written that says any of those glimpses of the future will not happen.

18. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I'm keeping an open mind, but I like to peek at individual issues as they come out before I look at TPBs. The First Lantern is an interesting antagonist, and I'm not sure if I can judge the same of Relic yet. He seems to be kind of like Invictus with a higher level of power, and even less willingness to consider the possibility that those who can wield the spectrum aren't an inherent threat.

19. OdoWanKenobi

Did you read Relic's Villains Month book? It fleshes him out quite a bit. He's nowhere near the complexity of say, Sinestro, but he's at least more interesting, and his motivations far more clear than Volthoom. I really felt Volthoom was a weak-sauce villain for the finale of such an epic run.

20. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

The problem with Volthoom is that he was only revealed toward the end of the arc. If his motivations and backstory had been integrated with the story during the Third Army arc, for example, then it might have been more effective.

I got the feeling that he could have been an excellent tragic villain that generated a lot of sympathy in the reading if he had been fleshed out a little earlier and some of his backstory with and prior to meeting the guardians had been explained.