Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old August 4 2014, 02:25 PM   #31
mos6507
Captain

Re: Looking Back at the X-Wing Series

Leviathan wrote: View Post
I live in perpetual fear of someone, somewhere, working out a MMO based on this series where you upgrade your fighter/smuggler/trader/capital ship.
Didn't Star Wars Galaxies have space combat?

I think what happened is the 1st-person space shooter was deemed "played out" eventually and that's why they didn't keep coming out with new X-Wing style games. Chris Roberts was partly responsible for playing the genre out, as his WC series was perceived to have jumped the shark and then he made a film that is on a lot of worst-of-all-time lists.

In addition to this, the novelty of 1st-person space shooters started to wane, since I guess there isn't enough visual stimuli in having a starfield as a background vs., let's say, a complex 1st-person shooter. So they weren't the graphical showcases like the first X-Wing was originally.

Now we're entering an era where PC gaming as a whole is looking rather shaky, and Chris Roberts doing Star Citizen is kind of a hail-mary pass to revitalize this genre.

Maybe with the return to classic SW-era feel under the animated Rebels and the new films we'll wee another round of games in this genre. I'd very much like to do a seamless DS trench run that utilizes today's hardware, maybe even add Occulus Rift for the cockpit.
Old August 6 2014, 04:18 AM   #32
martok2112
Captain

Some very interesting points, mos.

Yeah, the Wing Commander movie definitely wasn't great. It was, for me, mildly enjoyable....but definitely seemed to fly in the face of what the Wing Commander games were.

It was sad that the first person space fighter/flight sim seemed to go the way of the dodo. I think the most recent attempt at rejuvenating it was a game called DarkStar One: Broken Alliance. It was an open world, first person space fighter sim (of sorts). I have it on both PC and (later released on) Xbox 360 (in fact, I am getting ready to play the 360 version now). Not a bad game....but it was more of a sleeper. I don't think it caught on...on either platform.

I also love playing Star Wars Jedi Starfighter on my PS2 (still!) Unlocking the Republic Gunship and using it is always a blast. And it can switch between third and first person views.

I would love to see a glorious return to the first person starfighter/starship flight sim. Hopefully the release of Rebels, and the new Star Wars movies will aid that. Since Lucasarts is pretty much shut down, and the Star Wars properties seem to be split up among other developers, we'll have to wait and see as far as SW titles go.

I was anxiously awaiting Star Wars 1313 (which was slated to be the series' first Mature rated Star Wars title), but that got s***canned when Lucasarts was dissolved.

There is, supposedly still, Star Wars Battlefront III in the works from DICE. I enjoyed the first two Battlefronts. I hope III will be a massive improvement when (and IF) it hits PC and Next Gen consoles.
Old August 6 2014, 09:33 PM   #33
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

Yeah, since LucasArts is currently gone, the chances of a new X-Wing game are slim. I'd love another FPS in the same vein as the original Dark Forces with no references to the Jedi or having Jedi powers.

They did present the new Battlefront at E3 with a teaser trailer and no gameplay footage, but it seems like it's on track to be released next year.
Toxteth O´Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 10:22 PM   #34
martok2112
Captain

Toxteth O´Grady wrote: View Post
Yeah, since LucasArts is currently gone, the chances of a new X-Wing game are slim. I'd love another FPS in the same vein as the original Dark Forces with no references to the Jedi or having Jedi powers.
Yeah, that's what Star Wars 1313 was supposed to be like. You were supposed to play a Bounty Hunter during the Rebellion era....and then I think at one point the devs said you were going to play Boba Fett...so the story would have to happen sometime before Return of the Jedi...unless they were doing some post-RotJ game where the Expanded Universe presupposes that Fett survived the Sarlaac in RotJ. (ala Dark Empire/Dark Empire II)

Toxeth O'Grady wrote:
They did present the new Battlefront at E3 with a teaser trailer and no gameplay footage, but it seems like it's on track to be released next year.
Crossing fingers, toes, eyes, and every thing else I can cross....even if it hurts, or helps my falsetto.
Old August 7 2014, 09:16 PM   #35
Leviathan
Commander

mos6507 wrote: View Post
Leviathan wrote: View Post
I live in perpetual fear of someone, somewhere, working out a MMO based on this series where you upgrade your fighter/smuggler/trader/capital ship.
Didn't Star Wars Galaxies have space combat?

I think what happened is the 1st-person space shooter was deemed "played out" eventually and that's why they didn't keep coming out with new X-Wing style games. Chris Roberts was partly responsible for playing the genre out, as his WC series was perceived to have jumped the shark and then he made a film that is on a lot of worst-of-all-time lists.

In addition to this, the novelty of 1st-person space shooters started to wane, since I guess there isn't enough visual stimuli in having a starfield as a background vs., let's say, a complex 1st-person shooter. So they weren't the graphical showcases like the first X-Wing was originally.

Now we're entering an era where PC gaming as a whole is looking rather shaky, and Chris Roberts doing Star Citizen is kind of a hail-mary pass to revitalize this genre.

Maybe with the return to classic SW-era feel under the animated Rebels and the new films we'll wee another round of games in this genre. I'd very much like to do a seamless DS trench run that utilizes today's hardware, maybe even add Occulus Rift for the cockpit.
Indeed. the trend continues here:

http://www.slashgear.com/star-wars-x...axed-23330324/

When the jackbooted execuhacks decided space/flight combat sims were "deemed played out" they were a tad off:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Thunder
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warplanes

Most never realized the potential to transition the genre to the sort of RPG/FPS/MMO games that dominate the space today.

...except for those guys who've gotten filthy stinking rich...Nice work Gaijin.
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2014, 09:08 PM   #36
Doctorwhovian
Commander

There was a beta or something for a free-to-play Star Wars game featuring X-wings but it was cancelled I believe.

EDIT:Oops, beat me to it.
Doctorwhovian is offline   Reply With Quote