Dollhouse in Trouble?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Cain, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had similar concerns when I started to rewatch "Joe 90" in my teens about childabuse and vivsection.

2. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

As THIS article points out, closed productions doesn't necessarily mean bad.

But it is Whedon and "the NEW morons at FOX".

3. ncc74302

ncc74302 Captain Captain

*cough* SAG strike *cough*

4. ncc74302

ncc74302 Captain Captain

And herin lies the fundamental flaw of TV production. Who gives a damn if the network likes the show. They're not making the show for the damn executives, they're making it for the FANS! The general PUBLIC! If a show does well but the execs don't like it then tough cookies! Sheesh.

5. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Given the history, I know whose benefiting from this particular doubt.

6. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

Like your avatar, you part of the R.E.P.T.I.L.E as well?

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I've been worried about this show--it doesn't seem to have a greatly accessible concept. I just hope, if it turns out to be good, that it can end in 13 episodes. Just in case.

8. Cain

Cain Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always thought that concept was a little shaky and they are now closing production to rewrite the scripts because, reportedly, the concept was a little shaky. I do know that retooling twice, redoing the pilot and now going back to rewrite some scripts isn't a good sign.

I'm not saying that the show is now predestined to be bad, because Whedon could turn it around. It's just a little disconcerting.

9. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

A network wants as MANY people as possible to like a TV show...they want as broad an audience as possible...so, yeah, they are concerned whether or not people can connect to a character...they don't want to spend millions on a Whedon project that only attracts Whedon fans...they want the Whedon fans AND as many other people as possible.

It's about making money.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I have to ask. What's the point of this show? Girl discovers that she is human. Is that it? Because that sounds kind of boring compared to Whedon's previous shows.

11. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Come on, you know that's not remotely true. Television is a business. Shows aren't made for fans, they're made for advertising revenue.

12. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

joss' shows always have this much trouble starting (except for angel, because of buffy). all of his shows have had problems being sold to network execs and audience. i only know of buffy being able to launch and stay on air despite having trouble starting. i say he should have gone to cw where they are more desperate to get tentpole shows especially with smallville going bye bye after this season.

but yes, even though people are saying the show is not in trouble, it's not exactly on solid ground. people finding his original concept and vision "confusing" and having to redo a pilot, even if it was his idea, means that the network has already put it on yellow alert probably. fox has a long history of dumping shows that don't work right out of the gate. he should have shopped this around as a syndication, but i think eliza has a contract with fox so if the show would involve her it has to involve fox. joss is a bit trapped.

as for the concept, i think the "voluntary" part did not include full disclosure. that's probably like volunteering for military duty and not knowing that you're on a suicide mission. yes, no one would volunteer for that. some may, to escape whatever is troubling them in their lives. i bet some chars will have shady pasts that they wanted to forget and what better way to do it and earn cash (if they are earning)? isn't the concept of the show that she's slowly gaining her memories back and retaining info so she'll probably be on a mission to take the organization down.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You do recall America used to have random platoons just march into dissipating mushroom cloud fallout to see y'know, what exactly would happen?

Every government is a dick.

The Roman Emperors when they died hoped the senate would elect to deify them as a reward fro excellent service, the best Mr Bush could hope for one would think is that he be given his own holiday. Despite the fact that he is the worst American president in living memory, I wouldn't mind celebrating "Bush Day" in some according manner, although some would claim that the combination of Washington and Lincoln's subsequent Birthdays into a single Presidents day should be enough for every president past present and future no matter how power mad and needy he or she may get.

I assumed that this show would be on par with La Femme Nikita. "Good Job, but I'll most likely kill you in the morning." sort of a last chance to prisoners commuting albeit temporarily a death sentence.

Volunteers?

Now that's just Yucky.

then again in an old origin comic for Captain America there were some faliures before Steve's super soldier formula took. I beleive the statement "Every muscle in his body will explode" was used... And these dolls are lucky in my mind that they weren't sent off to a cosmetics company for product testign now that we're almost too moral to test on animals.

Oh, give Cliff Richards a job for the credits already. :)

Or better yet, Clifff Richards and the Young Ones!

14. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, B5 again. For me, the interesting question is not "What Do You Want?", but "Who Are You?" And I'm less interested in following the character going after their goals, than the character engaging in a journey of discovery, for which them achieving goals is just a part.

Whedon's stories are unique in exploring "Who Are You?", every one, and most of his characters, not just the "star(s)".

Dollhouse may be the most literal iteration of this concept yet in Whedon's work.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  15. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

And a man who a world wide loyal fansbase who wear shirts saying "Whedon Is My Master Now" can't generate revenue? His show is very likely not broken, and they are trying to "fix" it.

16. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

But can he generate enough? The brown tongues or whatever they were called weren't enough to turn serenity into a hit movie.

17. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

The fanbase might be around the whole, that doesn't mean there's a lot of them...that means they are just around the world.

And besides they don't want JUST the fanbase...they want something that appeals broadly...and that's true of every show...

18. I saw the TV preview for the show a few months back, it was like an extended trailer, i think it was from one of those TV-ad-selling meetings or whatnot.... and to be honest with you, if I hadn't read on the INTERNET MONTHS BEFORE "Joss whedon is gonna do this new show, and here's what it's about..." ...I would not have been interested in that show, and I wouldn't have even grasped the premise correctly.

19. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

I laughed at the title/concept of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," too. It's now my all-time favorite show. I thought Firefly sounded kind of ho-hum, and ended up finding it brilliant. Whedon is a master of taking a concept that sounds either ok or even not all that great and turning it into something phenomenal. I've got faith in the guy (and no, that's not blind faith--if he does something that's not all that great, I'll point it out).

It's never a good sign when production shuts down. That being said, it's a mid-season show and they've got some time to work out the kinks.

20. TEH BABA

TEH BABA Commodore Commodore

Is murdoch the most evil man in the century? Kinda liek hitler of multimedia?