Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

^ Heck, I've killed myself off in several of my comics. :)

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

A guy I used to work in a comic shop with got killed off in the Aliens 'Rogue' comic. 'Deegan' for anyone that's read it. He was pretty happy about it...

It was, I believe, written by occasional Trek author and local comics type Ian Edginton.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

In Seventh Grade, I wrote a story about the students staging a revolution. There were seven chapters, one for each period, and in each chapter my teacher for that class was killed. It passed around through half the school before it disappeared. It was one of the things that was one of the things that made me semi-cool, rather than a four-eyed, tinsel-teethed nerd. :rommie:

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

5. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

This one is legit. Fox has confirmed its authenticity to IGN.

Here it is, for folks who don't feel like clicking:

The SuperheroHype comment sections for the nuF4 news articles are always... interesting. And this one doesn't disappoint on that front. Plenty of unhappy folks over there.

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'm quite looking forward to it...

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't get over how they seem to be telling the same basic Dr Doom storyline from the other movies again, even though it was probably the biggest complaint that fans had about them. I mean, seriously Fox?

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Everyone knows that every comic book hero only has a single villain who must continue to appear in every single movie :lol: Lex... Green Goblin... Doom... Magneto...

9. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Not every Superhero has Batman's Rogues Gallery. Spider-Man probably comes the closest, followed by the X-Men.

10. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The fantastic four in addition to Dr. doom has, off the top of my head: the mole man, the skrulls, galactus, various heralds of galactus, annhilius, molecule man, various members of the frightful four, terminus, sub-mariner...

11. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Diablo, The Mad Thinker, Blastaar, Ego (The Living Planet), Impossible Man, Psycho-Man, Red Ghost, Puppet Master, etc. The FF actually has a lot of good villains. Don't get me wrong, Doctor Doom is cool, but there is a lot more they could work with, and many of them are just as interesting as Doom.

12. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

What I mean is I'm a nerd and I haven't heard of more than half of those characters. I know even less about most of the ones I do recognize. Fantastic Four doesn't have a place in my childhood the way Batman or Spider-Man or the X-Men do through their cartoons and such and I suspect that is true for most everyone on the spectrum from the casual comic nerds down. Their villains are likewise absent from the collective consciousness. Dr. Doom is the one everyone knows, and so the first movie of the series is going to be Doom, by default.

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

That's because the 90s cartoon sucked. I don't think that's a knock on the Fantastic Four's villains themselves. I agree they're not as good as Batman or Spider-Man, but I'd argue they're on par with Superman.

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The Flash. For me he's in that top tier of characters with great A/B list villains and the TV show has just begun to scratch at that.

Captain Cold
    Boomerang
    Heat Wave
    Reverse Flash
    Professor Zoom
    The Top
    Glider
    Rainbow Raider
    Mirror Master
    Girder
    The Pied Piper
    Trickster
    Gorilla Grodd
    Abra Kadabra
    Weather Wizard
    Savitar
    Tar Pit

and others

15. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

+1, exactly what I was thinking.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

IIRC, it was in the pages of Flash that the term "Rouges Gallery" was first coined.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually the concept of the Rogues' Gallery was invented by Allan Pinkerton in 1855 as a means for police to keep track of known criminals -- a collection of photographs, descriptions, known addresses and associates, etc. Basically an ancestor of police mugbooks or modern criminal databases. It was in reference to police rogues' galleries that comic books began using the term. The Flash's villains did start to team up under the name "The Rogues" in the Silver Age, which may have been inspired by the term "rogues' gallery," but wasn't quite the same.

I wouldn't be surprised if the term came into fiction through either pulp magazines/novels or through the Dick Tracy comic strip. Tracy is known for having just about the biggest, most colorful rogues' gallery outside of Batman's, and it's possible that his was the first to be called that, especially given the police origins of the term. But I can't find any confirmation of that. The strip did have a feature called "Rogues' Gallery," but only while Max Allan Collins was writing the strip in the late '70s onward. And there was a 1961 episode of The Dick Tracy Show by that name, but it was a pun, because it involved an art gallery heist.

18. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I was thinking that was all pretty 2nd tier, and I'm including Flash in that.

Even hero wise DC only really have two first division characters Supes and Batman. Wonder Woman should be one but the character's a nightmare to do a serious version of, so I'd put her in with DC's 2nd string of good characters - Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern etc. Far too many are lower leagues like Aquaman and Martian Manhunter.

Marvel have proved you can take lesser characters and do great things with them, but DC seems to be struggling to do great cinematic things even with it's best characters.

Coming back to Flash's rogues gallery, Gorilla Grodd's inclusion says it all...

19. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

QFT.

20. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral