A Little Something: Enterprise G (with input from Gabe Koerner)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by erifah, Jun 17, 2014.

1. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Nah. What's the worst that could happen? :p

2. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Remember, we're still exploring the shapes.

3. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Took another crack at a side view, painting fast & loose in an effort to let the design flow out so I can discover it, instead of over-controlling it and being frustrated.

This sketch is... "somewhat similar" to what I see in my mind's eye. I think the saucer is a bit too bulging.

[​IMG]

4. KaineMorrison

KaineMorrison Lieutenant Commander

Maybe elongate the length of the nacelle's wings and slightly shorten the oval, make them even. You should be able to reconcile your image with what you are perceiving.

5. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Presumably, my "general contractor" MadMan1701A will have answers to those design questions, in the form of his basic 3D model.

My sketches right now really can't do much more than give general guidance - does it have a thick saucer? How thick is the secondary hull beneath the "wings"? How far up do the nacelles swoop above the saucer?

Once I have a better grasp of what shapes are physically possible while still conforming with the top view, I'll send input back on what I'm visualizing for the front and sides.

6. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Presumably, my "general contractor" MadMan1701A will have answers to those design questions, in the form of his basic 3D model.

My sketches right now really can't do much more than give general guidance - does it have a thick saucer? How thick is the secondary hull beneath the "wings"? How far up do the nacelles swoop above the saucer?

Once I have a better grasp of what shapes are physically possible while still conforming with the top view, I'll send input back on what I'm visualizing for the front and sides.

7. Ghrakh

Ghrakh Captain Captain

Yeah! JJ approves.

8. KaineMorrison

KaineMorrison Lieutenant Commander

Oh, I thought that this was something that you were doing in your spare time. I'm sorry.

9. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

I think it looks better with a thinner saucer, honestly... it just makes it feel bigger somehow.

I'm hoping to finish my other model next week, when I have some time off, so maybe I can start playing with this one a little.

-Ricky

10. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

I think you're right.

I put it through the ol' "adjust size height and/or width" thingie to see, and I think that somewhere between the middle and top image is where we'd need to be.

[​IMG]

11. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

If we're voting, I'm voting for #1. Just love the slender, clean lines of it.

12. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

I agree. The top one is the one that I like the most.

13. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Yep, the top one is it. :)

14. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Then: make it so.

15. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally I prefer the third one, but with the nacelles and pylons more line the second. I like tall ships!

16. dubeau

dubeau Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Very nice. I wish I would see it in 3D. Quite a challenge with the textures...

17. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is fantastic work! Keep it going, use that OCD to your advantage. :)

And tell us more about the bridge... The forward view opening up into a large holodeck viewscreen idea is fantastic. I imagine a semi translucent viewscreen between the dome area and the traditional bridge to project more traditional stuff when 3-D is less practical. You don't want a huge Cytehrian head thing in your face ALL the time.. What are the other rooms off the main dome meant for?

Mark

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

The one you had on post 28 with the sensor even farther back is also lovely.

19. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Well, that holographic imaging system for star map that the Engineers used in "Prometheus" really comes closest to what I'm picturing. It's supposed to be the most advanced version of stellar cartography as seen in "ST: Generations".

I'd think that a holographic projection system could do a fine job itself of creating a "traditional" bridge view screen. :cool:

What are all the other rooms? Beats me. Office space? Lounges? Bowling alleys? Habitats for officers & crew who happen to be cetaceans? Whatever anyone wants, I guess.

The Enterprise D always seemed to me to have too few crew wandering around in it. I know, it was a function of shooting budgets.

But I come up with my designs with the thought that the bridge and connecting rooms will be buzzing with people.

20. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

Thanks!

I'm stepping back from that ship because I don't want to hog all the creative opportunities. MadMan1701 is entitled to have some room to be creative too!

Here's what I'm working on now. It's the saucer for the massive "mobile star base" ideas I'm exploring. I have no idea yet what the star drive section would look like or how it would attach to the saucer.

I do rather like the idea someone suggested, that the star drive section delivers the saucer for an extended tour of duty in some star system, and the star drive section then wanders off for other tasks.

Maybe even each star drive isn'd dedicated to any particular saucer - it isn't one ship that can split in two, its two ships that combine for the trip.

[​IMG]