Daredevil back to Marvel Studios?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The third one may have made money but so did "Batman and Robin." That's not enough to satisfy fans who pretty strongly disliked "Spider-Man 3" for numerous reasons.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Remember that the only reason why we have "The Amazing Spider-Man" and it's sequels is because of the falling out that Sam Rami had with Avi Arad and Sony Pictures. There's a reason why "Spider-Man 4" was cancelled and it was due to Rami being pissed off at the constant interference and suggestions from Arad, he wasn't able to just work and film the movie he wanted to make. It is also the reason why "Spider-Man 3" was flawed as well. I'm beginning to think the same thing happened with Marc Webb as well to a degree.

I don't see Spider-Man going back to Marvel Studios any time soon. It is possible for Sony to sell them back the rights, but I have read in the past that this would be in the billions of dollars rage, and even though Disney/Marvel has a boat load of cash I dunno if they'd be willing to spend that much. Who knows though.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

So this is just confirmation then?
    Cause was it not official back in October?

Maybe this is full on "it's cleared all legal hoops, confirmation"?

At any rate the "How long till he shows in the MU, on screen or SHIELD, can start up now I suppose.
    Phase 2 of the MCU is out, anyone think they'd put him on the small screen?
    Phase 3 is underway with Dr.Strange being the only true known as Ant-Man seems described in both right now.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It takes time to sort out the paperwork and make it official and everything. It's bad form to announce something before the contracts are signed -- particularly since, until that happens, there's always the possibility that the deal will fall through.

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Also, it's not as though Marvel made a big announcement over it. Feige was asked and he answered. For all we know it was final and official back in October as many suspected. If Marvel have no strong plans for Daredevil at this point, there wouldn't be much point to announcing it right away. "We have Daredevil back! ...And we ain't doing shit with him!!"

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It seems to me that he could be a good candidate if they do work superhero characters onto Agents of S.H.i.E.L.D., or for his own show. From what I've read it sounds like all you'd really need to do him would be a good stunt person who can do parkour and fight scenes.

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I would kill for a TV show that split his time between the law and hero storylines equally. And no CG, with very limited wirework. Just do it real for the movement, and once in a while go greenscreen for the really high-up stuff. Oh, if only!

9. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Sean O'Neal, The AV Club:

In somewhat-related news, no one is fighting over the rights to Elektra. You can probably have them, if you want.
    :rommie:

10. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes! I'm hoping Marvel will try to expand their tv line-up and I think Daredevil would be an ideal candidate.

11. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hehehe. Well, Elektra is a derivative right of Daredevil; she reverted back to Marvel when he did. So did Bullseye. So did Kingpin. The focus is on Daredevil news because he's the headliner, but Kingpin is probably more valuable to Marvel given that he can be the bridge across their entire street level universe. They now even have Wilson Fisk to play with in their Iron Man and Captain America movies.

I don't believe that Spidey should be the focus of acquisition, though. Marvel needs Fantastic Four back so that they can get access to the Skrulls.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I think Spidey will be easier for Marvel/Disney to reacquire than Fantastic Four, though, given Sony's recent troubles with their film division.

I'd like to see Spidey, Daredevil and Punisher all under the same umbrella because all three share a lot of different qualities (street-level heroes, strong adversarial relationships with the Kingpin, lots of crossovers between the three).

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I wouldn't mind seeing that. I suspect that the rights were just movie rights, though, so there wasn't an impediment to doing a TV show if they had wanted to.

To me, Daredevil doesn't quite work in the Avengers universe. He would actually be best in the Spiderman universe if he isn't standing alone. I would like to see a new attempt at him, but, given this, they may just sit on the property for awhile.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I had the thought that the best thing Marvel could do with the Daredevil rights was to license them to Sony. I agree that Spidey and DD should go together. And I think it's a bad idea for Marvel to have the rights to all their characters, since they can only make so many movies per year; farming them out to other studios lets us get more Marvel movies overall. And so far I like the new Spidey continuity.

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I could've seen DD working with Raimi/Maguire Spiderman.
    The Webb/Garfield one though doesn't impress me at all.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't judge their fit for the characters, but I would watch a movie with that cast.

18. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Those are actually really good choices.

19. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Daredevil is a b-list hero, but therein lies an opportunity. Along with the Punisher, Luke Cage, and some other b-listers, they could build a "darker, grittier" side of the shared Marvel universe to sit in the shadow of the Avengers. Lower budgets, helmed by auteur directors, fall or winter releases with heavier focus on storytelling and without the need to sell to the summer popcorn flick audience, hard pg-13 or R ratings. It could work.

20. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral