Dislike of Music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

My father hated music. My mother, who loved music, could only play her albums when Dad was not at home or else he would be asking her to turn that racket off.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that I hate music rather I tend to be indifferent to most of it. I rarely listen to music though I do have about 100 songs on my iPad - most of them are songs from the 70s and 80s. I don't tend to remember song lyrics. Sometimes there is some new music I do like (such as the theme from Game of Thrones) but on a whole music doesn't make much impact on my life.

If, after I have seen a movie, I am asked 'how did like the soundtrack' most of the time I would have to answer "I didn't notice it". However if a soundtrack stops me from following dialogue I will answer that I hated it.

Music was one of my least favourite subjects at school (the other was French).

Does anyone here either hate music or are as indifferent to it as me?

2. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Not me. Music is in large part responsible for shaping me in to the person I am today, from my mother's insistence on my taking piano lessons as a child, to singing with the church choirs in elementary school, to marching, concert and jazz bands in high school. Music has surround me my entire life and I love it.

I don't say this to judge anyone who doesn't like music, but I find it heartbreaking to consider there are some who don't value music, if only because it has been of extreme value to me, personally.

3. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Music is really important to me and is often one of the few things that can really get me out of a funk.

4. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, singing along with something is one of the best ways for me to get out of a bad mood.

I love music and often have something on, but I'm indifferent as to the specifics. I rarely know band or even song names, even if I know the lyrics quite well. I really just don't care. I'll listen to almost anything but end up listening to a lot of the more popular stuff simply because that's what I'm exposed to. My music collection has everything from Disney songs to metal.

5. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hate certain styles of Music, rather than Music as a whole. Like everyone I know is on about how much they love Classical Music. It's like listening to the soundtrack of a movie I've never seen - and from the sounds of it, wouldn't like, anyway! I have a greater tolerance for Vivaldi, than the others ... but that's truly damning with faint praise. I find Classical Music to be pompous and pretentious. Especially anything centered around the piano ...

6. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're not alone. I work in an open office, so I do listen to music to drown out my coworkers. However, I would much prefer silence. I do enjoy background music while watching a movie or playing a video game to enhance the mood, but outside of media I find it a distraction.

Although I don't hate music, I do dislike lyrics. If I'm going to listen to music I'd prefer it to be instrumental music.

7. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

To get out of a bad mood I tend to either read or listen to a podcast or an audiobook. Sometimes I will look at an old movie, there are some sci-fi movies from the 50s that I find really suitable for this.

8. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It does seem a little strange to hate all music in general. But then again, I have little to no appreciation for visual arts.

I should make an effort to listen to more music, it's mostly just while writing code and driving.

Oh, and the Lumineers suck.

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've known a couple teenagers who were totally uninterested in music but got sucked into gaming music, which is usually pompous, dramatic and sucking in-ish :lol: And often it's quite good, it's kind of cool to see someone discover music and it's via what would be labeled classical these days.

2Takes what do you think of this big of classical soundtrack music (it is only 2 minutes long, you can do it!):

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRLdhFVzqt4[/yt]

They are one of several people that write albums of this kind of stuff and get it used in movies, games etc.. I listen to them and E.S. Posthumus as cheer up music a lot. Yeah I feel like my life needs an epic ASCENDING THE HILL SWORD DRAW soundtrack to keep me going :lol: (no really, it works).

I do however dislike listening to a lot of old music I was burned out on before I was 20, I can't seem to listen to the same thing for decades like a lot of people do. I like new stuff. If I ever hear the Eagles again I will puke.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't say I'm an avid listener to music, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate music. My music taste is somewhat eclectic, I either like a song or I don't it doesn't really matter what genre of music it's from or era even.

11. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't really imagine not liking music or it not being a valued my life - vocal or instrumental, it brings a lot of meaning to me.

12. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I listen to music whenever I can (i.e. as long as I'm not at work or there isn't something else going on). Mostly instrumental soundtracks; I just tend to like such music much more easily, and much more often, than anything with lyrics, though there are exceptions. I'd definitely say music is a very big part of my everyday life.

When it comes to my writing, music doesn't distract me, it helps me. There are times when I might prefer silence, but that's definitely a minority of the time. Even lyrical music, as long as it's something familiar. That's the exception for me: if the music is something I've never heard before, it could be a distraction. Lyrics make it worse, but even an instrumental tune, if it's new to me and I like the sound of it, I'll end up listening to it more closely and not being able to concentrate on my writing. :lol:

Ohh, that's a good one. :techman: For rousing trailer music, Audiomachine are also pretty awesome:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EiiM3WvBdk[/yt]

The best part of that track comes at about the 2:30 mark!

Ha! I know what you mean. There's some music from the late 80s and early 90s (some prime examples off the top of my head are the B52s, especially "Love Shack", The Cure, and The Cranberries) that - in a vacuum - I wouldn't mind too much. None of those would be something I'd listen to myself, based on my tastes, but I wouldn't mind it; if I hear it, it'd be just like ok sure, whatever, music is going in the background. But, because my sister listened to them a TON when we were growing up, I got sick of em and now if I hear them again I sort of cringe and think Gha not this! :lol:

13. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I can't imagine not liking music as a whole. To me, that's like someone saying that they don't much care for oxygen. Growing up, music was a tremendous escape and also a way to access other cultures, countries, eras, etc. I adore music. A good musical score can make a good TV show or movie even better. I can't think of Indiana Jones without hearing the music and LOST and Doctor Who are, in my humble opinion, greatly enhanced by a wonderful score.

However, there are certain types of music-- like rap and country--that set my teeth on edge and generally irritate me far more than inspire me. I also find it hard to concentrate on anything very deeply while listening to music because my brain is saying, "Oh, hey, what's the song?" and pulls my attention from my task. For mindless work, like cleaning or putting the Christmas tree up, I love having music playing but for work, where I really have to concentrate, I need absolute silence.

14. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I do enjoy gaming music quite a bit due to the catchy beat in many games. Something like this goes so well when you're killing things or pushing blocks.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDm9LaJeN9w[/yt]

15. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

My taste in music varies and is influenced by sci-fi and fantasy

[​IMG]

Star Trek Voyager Theme song

[​IMG]

clubbed to death

[​IMG]

Star Wars duel of the fates

[​IMG]

The Return of the King

[​IMG]

the wind in the willows theme song (a beautiful English song)

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I listen to music all the time when I'm driving (trusty iPod classic) and when I'm trying to sleep (I have Liquid Mind playing at night at all times - helps me relax). So I could not get along without music.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I love music. Mostly of the popular variety. Rock, Country, R & B and some Pop. Not really into Classical or Soundtracks, but I can appreciate them. Can't really imagine a life without music. So many songs trigger memories both good and bad.

18. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've noticed that, when I'm really into the work I'm doing, I don't hear the music I have on.

One week at my old job, since I worked alone in that room, I put a cd on repeating a single song for about 6 hours. For the whole week. People passing by who heard were all "wtf is going on?" I swear I didn't hear the song through a single time.

19. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't ever imagine myself not liking music. It helps shape me as a person, and I think whatever someone listens to can say a lot about their character.

20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like all kinds of music.