MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Apr 2, 2012.

1. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Vintage Madbum, it's hard to believe this guy is only 23. Two gems pitched in two different World Series.

2. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Now that's more like it!

Good, close game. Even later on, with the 2-0 lead, the Tigers were still in it. Excellent pitching all around, though of course San Francisco's was ultimately better. And Romo is one of those guys that's always just... fun to watch.

It'll be interesting to see how things unfold in Detroit. I don't think the Giants can quite muster two road wins in a row and sweep this thing, but they definitely have all the momentum at the moment. Generally speaking, I would say that Detroit has the edge in starting pitching, and that the middle of their lineup is more dangerous... but that hasn't really been borne out so far. San Francisco definitely has the better bullpen, or at least, the more stable bullpen. Still, I doubt the Tigers will continue to struggle to quite this degree back in Detroit. Bring on game 3!

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's one of the best pitchers in the game. He's not out there guaranteeing championships though, he's just doing his job.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Glad that Doug Fister is okay after being hit in the head like that. Dude didn't even flinch!

5. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And that is why, whenever I'd play baseball with friends or whatever, I was never very good at fielding unless I was in the outfield. I had trouble not flinching whenever a ball came my way with any kind of decent speed. :lol:

I can't even imagine taking a ball off the noggin like that and then just... continuing to pitch. And he pitched quite well, too, the only problem was that Bumgarner was even better.

6. RevDMV

He's very lucky, looks like it deflected away and he didn't take a direct blow.

I'm always worried about my little league kids, they're awful close up and by the time they get to 12 or so the ball comes off the bat pretty quick.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Bryan Stow was at Game 2 in SF. His recovery is proceeding. :techman: Linky

8. RevDMV

One of local stations had some video of him arriving at the park, still in a wheelchair sadly, but he looked aware and good.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

After Fister got hit, Tim McCarver said that he thought pitchers would one day be required to wear protective headgear. I'm not sure if this will be the case. Most pitchers would probably rebel against that. It'd get in their way, I think.

10. RevDMV

There a lot more talk of that in the lower levels, little league and school ball. That's where it will start and once those guys get to MLB, they won't know any different.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

But where does it all end? Every player on the field wearing full-body armor? :rolleyes: I mean, I don't want anyone to get hurt, but they (and by they I mean Tim) are going overboard, IMHO.

12. RevDMV

It should end with reasonable protection.

Speaking of ending, one more game for the Giants.

No one would believe the Vogelsong's story if it weren't true.

13. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, it took 56 years to get the first World Series Championship in San Francisco and then it only took 2 to get their second

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS - 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!!

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! :techman:

:cool:

14. RevDMV

Incredible...

My two boys are 12 and 9 so it's a lot fun watching them experience this, such an age sweet spot.

That last pitch by Romo, could hardly believe it...

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That last out reminded me of when Ryan Howard struck out to lose the NLCS in 2010. How can you just stand there and take any pitch that is close.

16. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

YES! Man was that a stressful game but what an amazing win to cap off a great season. And to think my wife and I just got married in April (with a Giants themed wedding, no less) the same year as one of if not the best Giants seasons ever. Coincidence? I think not!

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Congrats to the Giants! I was kinda rooting for the Tigers just because they haven't won it in a while, but I've got no problems with the Giants winning it all. :techman:

18. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Congrats to the Giants, even if I was rooting for the Tigers (and rooting for at least not a sweep when the first became a lost cause).

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Nice work SF! :techman:

20. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Dreadful World Series with about as much drama as waiting in line at the DMV.