IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old October 4 2014, 12:42 AM   #751
Toxteth O´Grady
Captain

Re: Fitness Checkin

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
Yes, you gotta make the time. My solution is to wake up early and do it first thing in the morning. Get it out of the way, and use that "me time" like you would for other nerdy activities (i.e. watching stuff), while working out. I've found that it gives me tons of energy and keeps me awake all day.

Mark
This is definitely the truth. I've found that I'm much happier on days that I work out first thing. Tons of energy throughout the day. At one point I tried going to the gym after work, but I never felt like going. After working for 8 hours I just want to relax.

I love the idea that I can watch Netflix, Amazon or Hulu while I'm working out. Why not use the very things that caused my couch potato tendencies for me instead of against me?
Toxteth O´Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2014, 12:37 AM   #752
RoJoHen
Awesome

I can't work out first thing. I mean, I could, but it never goes very well. Being up for several hours and moving around is like a warmup for my body. I can always workout harder and longer when I've been up for a while.
Old October 6 2014, 12:25 AM   #753
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I ran my first half marathon today. Finished in 1:53:11, a few minutes faster than my goal.

I agree it's hard for me to work out first thing in the morning. Or rather, it's hard for me to run. Upper body workout it's fine, it's probably because there's less blood in your legs when you first wake up.

I find I'm most in the mood to work out right after work, because I have a mostly sit down job.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2014, 05:16 PM   #754
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

I'm just the opposite - after all day at work and then commuting home, supper, cleaning up and family time are the priorities, leaving very little time for me to work out.

That's perfectly fine though, if there's one thing I've learned in my fitness journey, it's that everyone's will be different. A good buddy of mine has lost over 110 pounds so far this year (starting at 340), mostly through portion control and healthy eating, but adding increasing amounts of cardio and body weight exercises. I'd never have done it as hardcore as he's doing it, but man is it awesome to see a fellow nerd get fit. Different path, same end points. Just find something that works for you, then do it consistently and add to it as time goes by. Fitness is a lifestyle, and never, ever a one-time fix.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2014, 10:08 PM   #755
RoJoHen
Awesome

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
I'm just the opposite - after all day at work and then commuting home, supper, cleaning up and family time are the priorities, leaving very little time for me to work out.
Fair enough. My "commute" is only about 5 minutes long, and I come home to an empty house. I also don't get home from work until 4am, and my gym opens at 5am, so it works out pretty perfectly.

As a result of this, however, my sleep schedule is completely jacked up.
Old October 7 2014, 11:18 PM   #756
RoJoHen
Awesome

It's time for another...

DOUCHEY GYM SELFIE!!!

Old October 9 2014, 03:40 PM   #757
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

When I was working at a job where I was on my feet moving around all day, I'd get home, plop down, watch movies and play video games.

When I've been sitting on my butt all day, the last thing I want to do is continue sitting on my butt for several more hours. I need to get out and move around.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:07 PM   #758
JDobbs
Cadet

I use 5x5, 3 days on 1-2 days off.

Just getting the diet back under control.
JDobbs is online now   Reply With Quote