Star Trek Continues - First Vignette Released

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by dcsmokey, Aug 4, 2012.

1. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I never even noticed he was Asian until people mentioned it. I don't think it really matters since he's able to play Spock really well in this vignette. What impresses me even more is that in the trailer for Farragut's The Price of Anything he plays a Romulan and captures the sneaky, slimy Romulan voice perfectly. In my opinion, this has some of the best acting in any fan film that I've seen. I look forward to October when the next one comes out.

2. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

I've written a brief article about the debut which you can see by clicking here.

3. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

Trolling? I can't give my opinion on things, whether negative or positive? I didn't realize we had to blow sunshine up each others rears.

So how is Ajax coming....or NOT? :rofl:

4. MarsWeeps

Don't forget Starbuck changed into a girl!!! :wtf:

Actually worked out better that way I think. :techman:

5. JimTheBuilder

JimTheBuilder Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

THAT is EXACTLY the kind of crap I'm talking about...you seem unable to control yourself lately when it comes to being nasty or snide...and THAT, IMHO, is what makes you a TROLL. Opinion is one thing...poking the hornet's nest to hear them buzz is another thing entirely. It's like slapping someone, then expecting them to say, "I'm sorry my face got in the way of your hand".

And BTW...we've cast a number of roles and a director has been selected...announcements forthcoming...FYI.

Where's the mod??

6. boobatuba

boobatuba Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Easy to reach. It's the little triangle at the bottom left of each post. Right under the avatar.

7. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

All right guys. I didn't make it here until late today...real life took precedence.

Let's not be nasty in the discussion, OK? And if someone expresses an opinion you don't like, refute it calmly. If you can't do so without getting riled up, walk away from the computer. I know it's the internet and it seems to have to become a drama, but it really doesn't have to become a drama. Just treat people, even those with whom you disagree, with respect. Or if you can't, as I said, go water the lawn or something until you've cooled down.

Conversely, if you have a criticism of a project or some aspect of a project, it would be more helpful to express it in terms that won't rile people up. For example, regarding the bozo comment:

Bad: He was a bozo/acted like bozo.
    Better: His acting came off as a bit too amateur, not to a professional level. (or): He didn't portray his character in a serious enough manner. (or some stuff like that).

Edit: Just realized that my example might irk some. Note that I've not seen the production in question and therefore have no opinion on the matter. I was only making an example based on the user posts here.

8. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

my reaction was:

Wow cool enterpise!!!!
    Oh its Vic Mignogna...
    Close window.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even assuming that you had a point concerning nontraditional casting (you don't), I shouldn't have to point out the basic flaw in your logic in this instance. Spock is no more or less a human being of European descent than an asian. He's an alien who can be as easily played by one human being as another.

No.

10. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

And just to make sure everyone knows that T'Bonz and I are on the same moderation page....

When people weigh-in--and weighing-in is the very point of these Internet forums and boards--people need to comment with greater civility and politeness.

Folks need to be mindful that when taking a contrary position to someone, the original poster is likely to feel condemned or attacked or criticized or opressed--no matter how politely the contrary position is expressed. "How dare you disagree with me! Expressing a contrary position is an affront to my opinion!"

On the other hand, the original poster needs a bit of thicker skin. People will disagree--and that's fine. Having a contrary opinion is not inherently dismissive of your opinion; it's merely contrary.

So:

1. Express contrary positions politely with sensitivity.

2. Don't be surprised or insulted when someone expresses a position contrary to yours.

11. JimTheBuilder

Agreed on all points. What irked me was the, "So how is Ajax coming....or NOT? :rofl:". Aluding that we are accomplishing nothing...and laughing about it... I have very little patience for trolls...I know I should ignore them and not feed them...but this was a personal barb against our production and without merit.

12. JimTheBuilder

Pretty much my reaction as well...but I did stick with it to watch Chris Doohan...I owed it at least that much...

13. MarsWeeps

I think you need to lighten up a bit. Obviously something "irked" you before I made the comment about Ajax because you called me a troll in your previous post. I could say the same thing...You "irked" me by calling me a troll so I made the comment about Ajax. Chicken or the egg?

If you look back on any of my posts about Ajax, you will see that I've had nothing but praise for what your team is doing. I've never knocked Ajax in the slightest. In fact, my only complaint was not getting enough info about how things were going. I even offered to post pics of the reconstruction if someone would email them to me.

I admit, some of my comments can appear to be snarky but a lot of times, my opinions don't translate well when I write them down. I intend to say things in a humorous way but it looks like I'm "trolling" - I guess people would have to know me personally to understand my sense of humor. Sometimes I shoot off a comment without thinking it through or wondering if anyone may be offended..that's just a personal fault.

I will make a better attempt to post constructive criticism instead of using "bozo" comments. I think the reason all of us are here is because we love all things Trek and should be on the same team.

So...apologies to those I've offended. I'll try to do better. Apologies to the Ajax team, my comment wasn't meant to be an attack, but I can see how it may have been interpreted as one.

I'm looking forward to all Fan Productions. TOS is my favorite series and I appreciate everyone keeping that time period alive through their work.

14. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

So now I'm unclear on whether your comment was intentional or inadvertent. Frankly, I don't much care. But please do not respond to perceived inappropriateness with retaliatory inappropriateness. The "he started it" strategy will not win you any points among the moderating staff.

END

15. MarsWeeps

Look, I apologized, what more do you want? If you want me to explain the Ajax comment, here's what was going through my head when I made it...

Because there hasn't been much news on the Ajax front, I thought that instead of JtB spending time on the forums calling people trolls, he should be spending more time giving us updates about Ajax. It wasn't meant to be an attack, just a prod about the lack of news and yes, it was in response to his comment.

I can't believe you picked out one line to chastise me and yet ignored the rest of my post in which I attempted to apologize. I'm not trying to win any points with the moderating staff but in my opinion, don't you think you are fanning the flames a bit? I apologized...why take it further?

16. Loken

Loken Lieutenant Commander

First, I am a supporter of Star Trek Ajax and have found them to be a group of hard-working, honorable people who I support 100%.

Also, Todd Haberkorn is a good friend of mine and a great guy. I liked his Spock and know he will kill it. My only concern is why his tunic fit like crap when Vic's fit perfectly.

Alec

17. JimTheBuilder

Accepted, 'nuf said.

18. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wonderful recreation!!! This was well filmed, acted and looked spot on. The casting was a great choice. I didn't realise until I read the forum it was James Doohan's son playing Scotty. It was so spooky in a good way seeing him get the role so spot on. Gave me goose bumps.

19. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked this a lot. It's good to see another perspective on this era of Trek. I echo the accolades for Chris Doohan: best Scotty since his dad last performed the role. It feels 100% natural. This cast will be interesting to see.

To be honest, that thought crossed my mind at first. But as soon as he started speaking, I thought his performance was excellent and closer to the character than recent fan interpretations.

Shame on me for the knee jerk reaction. Well, at least they don't have a Vulcan playing Sulu...

20. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

Regarding the "Asian Spock," I think the choice of the actor was "fascinating" since he has something of an "alien" look, just as I thought Kirstie Alley looked more alien than Robin Curtis, even though I like them both.