Starfleet Academy Series

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by bbjeg, Jun 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Reposted from Surak-toc's "The abundance of ideas for a new trek show" thread in Misc. Star Trek. It's quite doable, even in senior cast members aged states, older would be better. What familiar face would you like to show up in a series like that?

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

William Shatner pitched a Kirk and Spock academy TV series in 2003. The story eventually became the 2007 novel Star Trek Academy: Collision Course. I'd love to see something similar, re-rebooting or filling in Kirk's three years at the academy from XI and reusing costumes and sets from XI and ID. Like a cross between Star Trek and Smallville.

3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Stop right there (because the rest of that post is nothing more than fanwankery).

Creating a new tv series right after Enterprise got cancelled would have been the worst thing they could have done, no matter what the show was about. People were sick of Trek at that point, and CBS was sick of producing it.

No, the Abrams TOS reboot movies were totally the right way to go to re-energize Trek; not some academy tv show that hardly anyone would have watched.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  4. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Sometimes there's merit in building a franchise that hums along at a lower level, but keeps going, rather than to pander to current fashion trends that are bound to become stale as fashions change and the prime-demographic groups age-out and develop more mature tastes.

JJ Trek will be lucky to get one more film after this, beyond which I think it will have been played-out. JJ will have left the building and it just won't seem fresh and hip anymore.

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Correction, people were sick of ST: Enterprise.

An academy show, assuming that it was written and cast correctly (big assumption) would be great for the youth demographic. King Daniel Into Darkness mentioned the fantasy series Smallville, which has been on the air for a freaking decade, pulling decent if not blockbuster ratings.

:)

6. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I'd rather see TNG academy, more aliens and better technology. Not to mention all that unexplored space left to work with.

I wasn't a big fan of Enterprise myself and I believe going back in time killed future series at that time. Going back to revamp the franchise send chills down my back whenever I hear "Continuing mission". To boldly go where we went 40 some years ago is more like it but they could make a jump back to the future after Abrams version raps up, just as they did after they were done with Shatner's run, making a 70 year jump to TNG's future.

7. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Which is too bad, if only because of season 4. I would like to have seen if a season 5 under Manny Coto could have turned the tide.

8. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

its a great idea, its a viable idea for a tv show, some planning will be needed to smooth it out and get the actors on board but it could work, as mentioned worf being there, i'd like him to be a mentor kind of character to starfleet student whos cultural background is not so good, i see the ideas good for a fan fiction novel series if not a tv series....

9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Look at the upcoming Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV series. If that is successful (as in a TV show following the lesser components of a larger universe), it might lend some credence to the idea of a Starfleet Academy show working.

That said, I think lot of posters here would be happy with a Star Trek TV channel, with all the series, movies and documentaries n repeat and new Star Trek shows in all genres being tossed in all the time.

...actually that's not a bad idea... :D TrekTV, anyone?

10. surak-toc

thats a fine idea, would give new people to star trek a chance to enjoy it...

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I think after Enterprise no TV series would have revitalized the series.

Maybe after DS9 and Voyager a different series could have done it. Actually if Enterprise season 1 were more like season 4, it might have helped save the franchise.

But the series I would have liked to see produced was one that continued into the future, where after the Dominion War the Federation started reconsidering the policy of exploration and diplomacy, and people started giving away civil liberties, that focused on a group of former Starfleet officers who left the Federation because they believed in its original values.

Something like that would have been perfect for 2001.

12. surak-toc

i think anything is still possible now, we just need the perfect writers and producers and a good cast, that idea seems also like it could work, merge it with the premise of this topic and we got ourselves a decent plot, but we need a new starfleet academy on some other place like the luna colony as i suggested in my topic, but say also that the federation are hiding something, on those sort of lines...

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I wasn't.

I've a feeling the ratings on any post Enterprise show would make make the studio and network long for Enterprise's numbers. IIRC, every show after TNG had ratings lower than the previous one.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I really just want Star Trek that's set on a spaceship exploring the universe and crushing the bad guys (live-action or animated). I have no desire for a "teen angst" version.

That's the stop where I get off.

15. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

If they did, I hope they don't do a TNG style version , where the instructors are nice and polite, and the issues are all lightweight.

It would be cool to go with a gritty, boot camp, Full Metal Jacket style version.

I cant imagine sitting through 3 or more seasons of a moral or alien of the week episode like they used to do.

They probably wont anyway, at this point I think the studios are too paranoid to risk putting TNG style episodes on TV now.

16. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

Star Trek still has a huge brand recognition. That is not going away.

17. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I like the idea of an Academy series, I just don't know what the hook would be.

There's something along the lines of a Red Squad show, but Star Trek with youngsters is essentially ST09.

I suppose the obvious answer might be to follow the Buffy/Smallville formula, but what would the "hero" do. There isn't much need for a crime fighter in 24C San Francisco, unless he chases after litterers and jaywalkers each week.

I strait up teen drama might be interesting for some people, but I would think most of the target audience has little interest in Dyson's Creek.

As long as they make the nerdy girl who-can-hack-into-anything BFF an Andorian, I'm golden. Allison Scagliotti in blue body paint? Yes please.

18. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

There are lots of Star Trek TNG style shows on the air right now. Just, they're all about detectives or doctors none of them are set in space. People love procedurals with political messages.

Star Trek: ID is nearing $400M worldwide. They'll make sequels.

I would personally enjoy a show set at the academy but I can't imagine anybody who is not actively obsessed with the show tuning into see it. If another Star Trek series is ever going to be a ratings hit, it will need to revive the premise of the original.

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Nah. If they market it like Smallville, and go after the 14-25 group, one Star Trek badly needs, people will watch.

SV peaked and held at 9m viewers during the second season. People (especially girls/young women) who had previously no interest in Superman, tuned in. Then the writing fell apart and a lot of them stopped watching. But even then, it was able to hold 4-6m for another four years or so. That's better than ENT ever did.

As I've suggested in other threads, the high-school/college group has been the one nuTrek really needed to grab and just hasn't as well as Paramount had hoped. An Academy series on the CW might be what the doctor order.

20. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

And to be fair, quite a few Star Trek episodes were themselves procedurals. There's the problem of the week, figure it out, fix it. Certainly nothing wrong with procedural TV.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.