Things people often say you find amusing...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Warped9, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I don't know if I would go that far.
    I think it could be fabulously cool
    to talk like you were one of Shakespeare's stars
    But folks would prob'ly think you're just a fool.

2. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

It seems that you're an optimist and I'm a pessimist!

3. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably why so many people write "should of" and "could of". That drives me batty.

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Same here. Every time I hear "Must Of Got Lost," I want to hunt down J. Geils and beat them.

I do try to stay optimistic. :rommie:

5. mari

mari Captain Captain

Shouldn't be hard. Last I knew, J. was living somewhere between Boston and Manchester, NH. Or maybe I shouldn't be helpful... :lol:

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The difference is, everyone knows what chemo drugs do and what their side effects are. It's common knowledge that they make people puke, lose their hair, drop weight, etc. And everyone knows that these effects are a direct result OF the chemo drugs.

But the side effects in Big Pharma ads are different: they are there because everyone taking the drugs has to report every side effect they have - even if those effects HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DRUG. Side effects that simply happened at the same time, yet are not proven to have been caused by the drug, have to be reported anyway.

The end result of all this is that a lot of people may get scared off by a long list of side effects but those may not have even been caused by the drug in the first place.

7. RJDiogenes

Hmm. That would be a pretty short drive for me. :devil:

8. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Stop it. You have no idea how medical trials work. Just stop.

9. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

But the thing is, they need to know what the side effects are, also, do you honestly think chemo drugs are not made by the massive global pharmaceutical companies?

The reason why all drugs which go on the market have side effects listed on them is because they are extensively tested. Whether it's a new anti-depressant, insulin or chemo, they'll be tested and they will be massively remiss if they know of a side effect and don't report it. Going by your posting past, you'll be the first to suggest the patient sues and the more people sue, the more drug companies need to higher how much the drug costs to absorb such costs.

Anyway, they may happen, not that they will happen, something you pointed out when you first raised this, my Insulin has a fair few side effects and I've only had one or two of them in the last fifteen years.

Or, you know what the Iguana said. (unless that was aimed at me too)

10. iguana_tonante

^ Not at all. It's MLB that is talking out of his arse.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

@Dimesdan: Thanks for setting me straight. I admit my error and consider myself duly chastised.

12. Brefugee

Not a problem and I'm happy I enlightened you on the subject.

13. iguana_tonante

Hey, it's easy to get something wrong if are not familiar with the topic. It's always good to learn something new.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

^ So we're cool, then? ;)

15. iguana_tonante

Well, I always am. Dashing, even. :p

16. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

are you working in the medical sector, Iguana? (btw, why thunder lizard? are you a dino-fan?)

Rick, my commiserations. The dreaded Of instead of Have is certainly a hot candidate for the UFOS-award (Ugliest Flower Of Semi-literacy).

From my recent bedtime reading (Highlander and Stargate fanfiction) come these expressions whose horror-factor certainly fits the season:

you're instead of your - you're certainly not a pair of dirty socks lying on the floor!

Conner instead of Connor (MacLeod) - if you write fanfic you should be able to spell your hero correctly

and last but most horrid:
    hanger instead of hangar - who'd have thought that 500 shuttles fit into a Goa'uld hanger? Either these aliens can fold up their vessels really small or they have huge wardrobes.

17. Brefugee

I think he is working in the (theoretical) physics field.

And because I actually set MLB straight, no, I don't either, but my other half works in health care for a major company and her father, as well as other numerous relations are Doctors and other health care professionals. Plus I have a chronic condition and know a few things about a wide range of topics, plus, some of it was just plain old common sense.

18. RJDiogenes

That award would definitely go to "wreck havoc" as far as I'm concerned. :rommie:

Also, "chose" versus "choose" and "loose" versus "lose." It's bewildering how many people get both of those exactly backwards. It's like the second "o" in "choose" fell out and got lodged in "lose."

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Hollowgram instead of Hologram is also a nice one.

20. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Touche! :D I have to admit that I regularly have to look the latter pair up in a dictionary, having an unfortunate tendency to confuse them. You may have noticed that I take great pains to avoid either in my posts. Fortunately, the English language offers quite a few alternatives :cool: (make less tight, unbind / misplace, mislay)