Kai Winn

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by SimpleLogic, Feb 5, 2013.

1. SimpleLogic

SimpleLogic Guest

Anyone else want to punch her face till your hand hurts?

I been watching a few DS9 episodes here and there and she is the most unlikable character ever. Louise Fletcher is great at making you hate this character. Schemers and opportunists in a religious order make me so sick. Vedek Bareil should have been the Kai.

2. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Eh, in the end, she gets hers.

3. SimpleLogic

SimpleLogic Guest

True and its very satisfying.

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Louise Fletcher won awards for dislikable characters. See One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975), if you haven't yet.

5. SimpleLogic

SimpleLogic Guest

Oh I have and she is very nasty in that as well.

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Winn was a great character, someone you love to hate, played brilliantly and given her own well-executed arc.

7. Loskene

Loskene Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

She played Ratchet, so much makes sense now.

I like how she calls everyone my child, like she is the mother and they are all little children who's opinions don't matter.

She is a real Class A1 power grabber.

8. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Winn was one of my most favourite characters in DS9. She stole every scene and had more menace in one gentle utterance than Dukat could muster in his entire repertoire.

9. Loskene

Loskene Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

One of my favorite episodes has a villain like her. Admiral Satie and her hearings. What Picard says about her fits Winn perfectly.

-
    "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. And then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"I believed her. I-I HELPED her! I did not see what she was."
    "Mr. Worf, villains who twirl their mustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well camouflaged."
    "I think, after yesterday, people will not be so ready to trust her."
    "Maybe. But she or someone like her will always be with us, waiting for the right climate in which to flourish--spreading fear in the name of righteousness. Vigilance, Mr. Worf. That is the price we have to continually pay."
    -

We got to see behind the scenes, understand what the main cast suspects and saw of her but couldn't prove how evil she really was. From the point of view of the average Bajoran she is just a former labor camp victim beaten for teaching the word of their gods, led the country but gallantly stood down to continue her work teaching the prophets, united Cardassia and Bajor with a historic treaty putting aside old hatreds and working to the good of all Bajor.Such a brilliant character.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

She is my favorite DS9 character, incredible to watch and very nuanced. She's fascinating.

11. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

And didn't we all go "Ewwwwwwwwwwww"? Great TV.

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Winn is a great example of DS9's writers 'correcting' themselves. They realized that there was no conflict in having a Kai that was benevolent, so Opaka bit the dust and we got awesome manipulative condescending Winn to replace her. :)

13. teacake

I went "EWWWW..." at her in bed with Dukat.

Every time I see her scene with Kira where you think Winn is having a revelation and may actually change I am always a bit awed at how she doesn't.

14. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Winn is a fascinating character. Love her to bits.

15. SimpleLogic

SimpleLogic Guest

I just finished "Shakaar" where Winn wants to capture Zorro and at the end they just threaten to expose her. They should have just exposed her anyway. And yes this character does get me riled, but I agree is a great one to cause such an emotional response.

16. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Winn is actually one of my favorite recurring characters from DS9.

She's an excellent foil for Sisko (even moreso than Dukat, who ends up replacing her as the 'anti-Emmisary') and Kira, and I see a lot of similarities between her and Caprica's Clarice Willow (the only difference being that the writers seemed to know exactly what they wanted to do with Winn from the moment she was introduced, which wasn't exactly the case with Clarice).

I also love Louise Fletcher's performance.

17. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

It's a bit schadenfreude, but I laugh. I only laugh because it's Winn Adami and she's a dreadful, dreadful person.

18. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

The Adami (ah-DAH-mee) pronounciation is hard for me to get used to, as I knew a guy with Adami as a last name, and he pronounced it ADD-uh-mee.

19. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

Winn is definitely the most unlikeable character in my books. (Even Dukat has his moments of sympathy.)

With the caveat that I loved what we got, and I think they used her well, I think making Winn the Kai over Bareil was a short-sighted decision. Yeah, it makes more drama to have Sisko be in opposition to Bajoran leadership, but we get plenty of conflict throughout the course of the series. I think it would've been more interesting for Bareil to be Kai, and explore a gradually strengthening relationship between the UFP and Bajor. There's all sort of conflict inherent in that sort of unification, and then would've created a very difficult situation, for Sisko, in particular, when the Dominion invades. I think that would've been a more mature story-telling decision.

It also touches on one of the great missed opportunities of DS9: developing Bajor (which got shunted off to the side, especially once the Dominion came along).

20. teacake

My god, paint drying. I've watched DS9 through 4 times and I can't even remember what he looks like.