Lt. Kim

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by c0rnedfr0g, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

Harry could have been given a promotion just out of recognition of several years of competent service in an important bridge position. We're not talking anything senior here, just lieutenant jg, I think he was ready for that! Practically speaking it doesn't mean much more than a pat on the back and a "well done" but hey, he still deserves it and maybe it would give him a confidence boost.

It would also mean he can't get bossed around by B'ellana or Tom, not that I ever recall them giving him orders anyway.

As for miles, he's apparently the only NCO in starfleet so it's kind of hard to figure out how he fits in.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

He should get a shiny ribbon that says "Participant".

3. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

Wouldn't he have to graduate the academy to become an officer?

4. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I'm sure the Writers would've contrived some scenario wherein he gets a Field Commission like General Martok did.

Again, why does no one complain about O'Brien they way they do about Kim?

And why does no one complain about the other VOY crew? No one is upset that Chakotay was a Commander throughout the series, or Paris never went beyond Lt or anything.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No. Every military in the world allows for experienced NCOs to become officers and TNG supported this concept with field commissions.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

He had moobs of steel.

7. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

Paris got busted down and then had to work just to reclaim his original rank. re: chakotay, Janeway probably doesn't even have the authority to raise someone to her own rank.

Kim stands out the most because he's the most junior guy, despite having his own important bridge role. The higher someone is, the longer you'd expect between promotions anyway.

Obrien was already quite high up the NCO roster. The question here is more what roles go to officers and what to NCOs, in starfleet. It's something hard to get a fix on cos writers tended to forget NCOs even existed, and have loads of junior officers floating around.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Paris got Busted twice.

He was a convict on work release with no rank when the story started.

Innocent until proven guilty, the Maquis UFP Citizens with full voting rights.

Actually?

If there are constitutional guarantees for a speedy trial, and double jeopardy applies, the Federation forfeits and can't relevy the terrorism charges.

The Maquis are free!

9. Wadjda

Wadjda Commander Red Shirt

And knows how to use the stick attached to those.

10. Guy Gardener

If that was true he wouldn't keep accidentally making babies.

11. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the pilot, Kim existed to be saved from Quark by Paris, to be Paris' friend and to be saved from the Caretaker. And worse, saved from a disease contracted during an alien's attempt at reproduction. Wang may have had a regular credit but Kim was never a major character.

But it's more likely that he was on the bridge primarily to be observed by Janeway and Tuvok. It seems to me that it was the crew losses that led to his de facto promotion to senior staff and department head. Which I guess is what led Janeway to be so complimentary to in Twisted, inasmuch as no, green ensigns generally should not be able to meet such responsibility so well. Dating badly is hardly relevant.

A mere ensign being a major department head and senior staff bespeaks great competence. In current militaries, such responsibility must be acknowledged with the appropriate rank. But this sort of thing gets into the question of whether Starfleet is a military organization, and people will never agree on that. But it is clear that not promoting Kim is not a black mark against the character, because if he was incompetent he shouldn't have been senior staff and department head.

On the up side, people can agree that they wouldn't like Kim any more if he was a lieutenant.

12. Guy Gardener

His wife was a doctor. Entry level Doctors are Lieutenants. Even if it was a provisional rank badge and not a couple pips, shouldn't that have created performance problems in the bedroom?

Andrew Kim is a miracle baby!

13. teacake

No of course it wouldn't create performance problems. Every single woman he's been with has been his superior so he's quite used to that.

14. Wadjda

Wadjda Commander Red Shirt

Condoms are a different matter.

15. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    The only time I think about "poor Miles" is in the context of "Poor Miles, being married to Keiko the Shrew, who mocks his choice of food, begrudges him his recreation time with Julian, and doesn't even pronounce his name correctly."

Considering that Harry's mommy contacted Janeway because her little boy had forgotten to pack his clarinet, it's not surprising Janeway might have been a bit condescending to him.

I wonder if Mrs. Kim sewed name tags on all of Harry's other belongings?

16. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But, you must admit, Keiko is really easy on the eyes.
    It forgives many sins ...

17. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Sorry, but Rosalind Chao does absolutely nothing for me.

18. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Saved the day?

I thought he always fucked up?

"Emanations"- Not even a week out of the Academy, his first contact with an alien species and without hesitation he ignores the Prime Directive and lets a pre-warp citizens know exactly who he is and where he's from.

"Prime Factors"- After being told "no" by the Captain, he schemes a way to steal alien technology.

"Heroes & Demons"- First time in the holodeck, gets held hostage by an alien life form.

"The Thaw"- The only crewman afraid of the Clown

"Resolutions" - Showed outright insubordination with his now commanding officer, Tuvok. Weather Tuvok was right or wrong, Harry still showed disrespect for the chain of command.

"The Chute" - almost kills Tom over a metal pipe after being in prison for a few days.

"Future's End"- Exposes 24th century Voyager to 21st century news media.

"Alter Ego" -Goes into a jealous fit of rage over a married Vulcan man talking to his then holographic girlfriend. A Vulcan only has sex every 7 years and would also find no logic in adultery. What was Harry jealous of?

"Favorite Son" - Do I need to explain how dumb Harry is in this one?

"The Killing Game" - the Hirogen know a whipping boy when they see one.

"Timeless" - Due to Harry's stupidity, he crashes the ship and kills everyone inside. You're an Engineer, you created a new piece of technology and you never ran simulations to see if it works until after you built it? You're an Engineer who can't do calculations? For this alone, Harry doesn't deserve a promotion.

"The Disease" - Yet again, Harry is insubordinate with his commanding officer. Not only does he disobey the Captain but medical protocols too. His reprimand here would give Janeway second thoughts about giving a promotion.

"Drive" - Harry again gets into trouble by thinking with his penis again. How many times is it now? What happened to Libby, his fiance?

"Nightingale" - This ep. is another example that Harry isn't ready to step up for a promotion. He's left in charge of the "night watch" on Voyager but when left alone, can't properly utilize his training to do the job.

"Work Force" - With no faith left in Harry to be in command, Chakotay leaves the hologram in charge of the ship in his absence.

When push came to shove, Harry couldn't take charge of the situation. That's a big part of being ready for the position is showing you can handle the task of Lt. Harry showed every time he couldn't.

19. teacake

I liked Rosalind Chao in The O.C. Something about the desk..

20. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's a shame we don't see more of her in shows or movies.