The Cage\Menagerie oddities

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Bixby, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

1) the 1960's european beachwear outfits on a male and a female as Captain Pike walks along a corridor at the beginning...

2) John Hoyt's completely tragic comb-over :rommie:

3) Majel Barret's lack of screen credit at the end of Menagerie, part 2

2. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A female extra is wearing the same outfit in the opening recroom scene in "Where No Man Has Gone Before".

3. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Majel Barret (a.k.a "M. Leigh Hudec") is indeed credited at the end of both "The Menagerie" Parts 1 *and* 2. She's credited using her actual name--M. (for "Majel") Leigh Hudec--instead of her stage name of Majel Barrett.

In the credits for the original pilot of "The Cage," she's listed as "Majel Barrett."

4. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

^^ Didn't Majel Barrett also use the name Lincoln at some point? I believe that's why Gene Roddenberry's fledgling Star Trek merchandising operation was first called Lincoln Enterprises (later changed to Star Trek Enterprises).

5. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really? well, whaddaya know...thanks, G...

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Eww... He had to have been at least sixty at that point. :lol:

7. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Another oddity: Spock shouting. Not because it's Spock, but because my reaction is, "All right already, I'm checking the circuit! And dude, I'm like RIGHT HERE NEXT TO YOU."

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Neither IMDb nor Memory Alpha indicates that she ever went by that name. I assume Roddenberry called his company Lincoln Enterprises because Abraham Lincoln was his hero (he wrote "The Savage Curtain," remember).

9. Kamdan

Kamdan Commander Red Shirt

I guess that was Nimoy's acting style until they told him to tone it down. I remember Shatner once saying that Nimoy "took it upon himself to smile a lot" in the hopes that he would come across as charming. I guess at first he thought that was the best way to carry himself as an actor too.

10. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I reasoned the "shouting" was meant to suggest an "old school" navy atmosphere. Since the "Hornblower"comparison is often mentioned, maybe Nimoy was going the "first mate" schtick, you know, "Hoist the main sail, Mr. Christian!" (Yes, I know that's "Mutiny on the Bounty", but I think it gets the point across.)

Sincerely,

Bill

11. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

List of all the Playgirl centerfolds is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playgirl#Man_of_the_Month_.28centerfold.29

(John Hoyt is not among them.) Born in 1905, in 1983, Hoyt would have been 77 or 78 years old.

12. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Never heard that one before.

Actually that was my assumption too. I was just exaggerating the point a little. :)

13. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, the company was already named that when he bought it (presumably for the mail order operation, making it easier to sell his Star Trek goodies).

14. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Hoyt didn't appear in Playgirl, but someone else did.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
    [​IMG]
    :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

15. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks, T'Girl, for making me have to go find knitting needles and poke my eyes out!

16. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

AARP Magazine, most likely. They have the hottest centerfolds...

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Menopause accounts for half of that.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I thought it was called Star Trek Enterprises before it became Lincoln Enterprises? Is that information simply erroneous, or did Roddenberry buy Lincoln Enterprises to expand his mail-order company?

19. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

"Star Trek Enterprises" was the original mail order company he started to sell Star Trek stuff. He soon thereafter bought Lincoln Enterprises for their mail order operation.

I'm thinking he kept the name to avoid a copyright dispute with Desilu and/or Paramount. Plus, they sell non-Trek related items, so no need to get tied down with one property.

20. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

Personally, I LIKED seeing folks in civilian clothes, there.

1: Could be crew off duty, especially if this is a deep space vessel.
    2: Some civilians on board, maybe family, akin to Picard's ship...something that I liked seeing a lot. Or some civilian personnel, like some scientific/archeological survey team or something.

Or a combination of both.

And the comb over....well, if they could not cure baldness by Kirk's time, that might explain Picard. :) Also, could be worse...look at Mudd's hair. :D

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011