Tom Paris - awesome or vastly underused?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by DavidGutierrez, May 25, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fat people have sex differently.

Here's the funny thing.

Climax is about bringing your body to it's limit.

A lazy fat slob can push his body to it's limits just by raising from a comfy chair.

A triathlete with a perfect body however can screw like a champion for weeks while lifting weights and still not break a sweat.

But you know this.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah. I'm not a Barge of the Dead fan and I had forgotten about Miral Torres. Blanked her out completely, though if you asked me who the baby was named after I would have remembered.

3. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    'Couse, that's Belanna's memory of her, she might be the Klingon version of the Beaver's mom for all we really know. That might make her something slightly less prickly than Xena, but she may not really be as abrasive as Belanna remembers.

4. Guy Gardener

She married a human.

Is that evidence of her being tolerant?

Or she had drunk sex, woke up, said the oath and then moments later informed him that they were married.

5. Gov Kodos

I can imagine her being curious and easily hurt and disappointed, but going on in the marriage because she made a promise. She and Belanna are probably more alike than Belanna wants to admit. I wouldn't be surprised at a story that showed Miral's abrasiveness was much like Belanna's, a defense mechanism. I'd loved Voyager to have gotten back with episodes dealing with the return. Tom meeting Miral would have been fantastic.

6. teacake

I thought B'Elanna learned to like soft men from the example of her mother. Her father was quite similar to Tom. But then I seem to be watching a different show those that love the sex rogue.

7. teacake

A pretty theory.

8. Guy Gardener

What theory?

I used to cycle 40 to 60 kilometres a day to go to school, errands and back because cars suck.

Now I don't.

Fortunately there's a fundamentally proportionate relationship of 1:1 between how long a guy can last and how long a woman wants a bloke to last.

9. Alpha Flyer

Alpha Flyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How many of the posts here have anything to do with the topic anymore? About one in twenty...? Sigh ... was hoping for an actual discussion.

10. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Paris was a mixture of slimy and bland.

11. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

Tom's developed from a ne'er-do-well vagabond to a responsible husband and father. Good on him, we should all be so lucky. I still reckon he's awesome. Yes some of the writing was bad and the development a little predictable but the same could be said of every other character as well. It's just a feature of star trek (Enterprise being the notable exception)

12. teacake

This is like how Collingwood Nick developed from a wannabe bad boy poster whose threads got closed into a responsible and amusing contributor to our little VOY community.

13. Captain_Nick

Aw, thanks teacake.

I can't deny my inner Voyager nerd any more

14. teacake

btw Nick JBHiFi is having a Buy 2 get the 3rd free deal on tv series and ALL of Trek is included. Not only that but they have all been reduced to between 20 and 24 dollars a season.

Too bad I own it all already and I tried not to cry at the sight of BSG reduced after forking out so much last month for it. Oh well, did buy some Stargate. I did buy quite a bit of VOY for presents however :D

15. Camren

Camren Commodore Commodore

I thought it was ridiculous that he was practically a backup the Doctor. Who are they kidding? Tom Paris performing a life-saving operation, please. They should have replaced Kes with a advanced holographic nurse/medic, not dump Paris in sick bay because he had so little to do at the helm.

16. Guy Gardener

they didn't need a nurse or Tom, they just had to make the Doctor telekenetic.

Thousands (millions?) of forcefield projector in the room picking shit up for him but only when it makes sense because the Hologram is attempting to pick something up?

The attempt to overhumanize his program restricted his abilities to commit medicine like a god.

17. Gov Kodos

Yeah, the writers kept confusing the projection with the computer generating it. One of the most eye rolling was the episode with the Cardassian doctor Mengele. The same computer is holding the data, running the programs, and generating the holograms. It boils down to the computer arguing with itself.

18. PopBoy

PopBoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Okay, i liked Voyager and i think i woulda liked the idea of Tom Paris but i wasnt so fond of his acting. It seemed very trashy soap opera. For me, i felt some actors in the show were acting. You could almost taste the print of the script. Robert was one of them.

19. Captain_Nick

Nah. Don't confuse the hardware with the software. Two AI 'hologram programs' running on the same Pc can be made to argue.

20. Gov Kodos

True, but why should they? Why not just have the Doc program just access the relevant data? The argument seems ridiculous, apart from it serving the drama of the episode. And the computer software arguing with itself.