5x09 Cold Blood (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Count Zero, May 29, 2010.

?

What do you think about the episode?

1. Brilliant

37.4%
  2. Good

45.2%
  3. Average

10.4%
  4. Meh

2.6%
  5. I wish we had a puke smilie

4.3%
  1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll be amazed if he's not alive at the end of the last episode.

2. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

You know, I was quite enjoying that until they used the cheap gimmick with the Crack to retcon Rory out of existence. And Amy's a time traveller, but she still totally forgets him? :rolleyes:

Oh, and since the Crack erases people's existence entirely, then that means that Davros and the Daleks now never existed. Oh god, it gets worse and worse....

3. Eyes

Eyes Commodore Commodore

Liked the episode very much. The Silurian part was all resolved reasonably quickly, I thought, but of course, the main part here is Rory's death and the Doctor pulling a piece of the Tardis out of the crack.

This has just got me even more anticipated for the finale.

Though I could see it coming, Rory's death was actually quite a shock. I had grown to like him, and I thought he had made an excellent foil for the Doctor. I wonder if he'll return somehow when all this crack business is sorted out. There does seem to be something unfinished in his relationship with Amy.

As for the Silurian plot, am I the only one who wouldn't mind seeing a sequel to it, in a thousand years when they've woken up? Nasreen staying behind could lead to a story in the future. Or its just wishful thinking on my part.

The Silurian narration really reminded me of the End of Time. Not sure what I have to go on that, although it could mean something, it could just be a way of telling the story.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The Doctor told Amy she would forget but Rory was directly connected to her life and The Doctor won't because hes not human but a Lord of Time, explains why he could stick his hand in the crack.

The Doctor/Tardis in the season finale could cause the crack I suppose though most likely in the 12th episode due to the title of that and survive still. I guess 13th episode will be about closing it.

Also how is it a gimmick, not only does he die but then gets wiped from history a tragedy meant to play on the audience more than the characters though it will stay with the Doctor and hurt more this way.

5. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I assume time corrects for anything Rory did.

anyways I am not 100% convinced we wont see him again, on that note they seemed to do too much set up, for the Doctor & Amy not to visit the Silurians again in 1,000 years time.

Talking of I enjoyed the Silurian plot, and the fact that they were more individuals than previous Who aliens, who have all tended to look exactly alike.

Since we dont know what caused the cracks, we can speculate across, but it seems hard to say what has and what hasnt been sucked into the crack.

Any reason why the female of the Silurians seemed to be the warrior type? seemed odd.

6. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i liked it. esecially after having watched The Silurians on DVD this avro. although the Doctor didn't tell the truth about what happened before - UNIT merely collapsed the caves and killed the renegade. the others went into hibernation!

7. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

So it is possible for time travellers to forget things that've been erased from history after all? So have Sarah Jane, Captain Jack and co. forgotten the Dalek invasion now then?

8. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Quite liked it. Alittle toomuch surviving-by-dumb-luck-at-the-last-msecond for my taste, but I think that it served to blindside the audience about Rory's fate (, as did last week's talk with the Doctor about protecting Amy). Poor Rory - killed and then retconned out of time. Sound like someone doesn't like him.

9. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given the "Chekhov's gun" in the shape of the Engagement Ring (the taking off of which was one of the poorest bits of writing in the series) I wouldn't bet any money on his not being back in two or three episodes time.

After all, at the end of the day the TARDIS won't be destroyed, so the Crack won't be formed.

10. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Ah, but then the Doctor won't meet Amy, and won't do all the stuff he's done so far.

11. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank fuck for that. We might get someone who can act playing the companion next year.

12. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen the episode but... really? I guessed that after ep501 aired. I was hoping for a better reason.

13. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

That was pretty damn poor. I'm not lying when I say I pretty much predicted what would happen. Well, not the crack nonsense. Though as soon as that Silurian bird crawled round the corner with a gun, I knew Rory was a goner. And the Silurian make-up looked absolutely dismal on that fat bloke. Pitiful stuff.

Still love Matt Smith though. And there was some tension when Amy started meddling with that sleeping Silurian. Of course, only a bloody idiot would do that in the first place, but still. Chibnall should be blacklisted.

14. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

They killed Rory! The bastards!

There are quite a number of loose threads from this episode, like the Silurians waking up in 1000 years, Nasreen and Elliot's granddad staying behind (I hope we'll see the sequel to that someday) and the engagement ring.
    I think the finale will be about changing history with the help of the crack just like the Doctor insinuated in the Weeping Angels two-parter.

15. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

also if the CGI enviroment seen in this episode, is the best the BBC, can do, then I plead with them, that they dont even try and render environments in CG, I can believe no one on the production said "dont you think this looks a little cheap?" or how the out sourced CG production company, would want there name associated with such a poor effort

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

There was no such reason, The evidence that Candlelight states could easily come from a future timeline.

17. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

for what its worth all signs point towards that.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Cracking episode. Only really let down by too much plot shoved into too short an episode (odd given last week was kinda the reverse)

Loved the CG Silurian underworld, loved loads of Silurians, and I agree with what others have said about hoping we get to see the Doctor show up again in 1000 years.

Rory's death wasn't a shock. Him being retconned out of Amy's memory on the other hand was, and I thought Matt and Karen played it brilliantly.

I disagree that Rory will somehow be back at the end of the season. Nope can't see it. What I can see is somehow the Doctor making it so that Amy at least remembers him. I also don't think the fragments of TARDIS are from Tennant's regeneration, the TARDIS wasn't that banged up. I have a sneaking suspicion that Moffat's pulling a Blakes 7 Orac/Redemption switch. It isn't our TARDIS.

Anyway, in terms of every other late season 2 parter this is clearly the poorest, however it's more comparable to the early season 2 parters, and on that basis I'd put it joint top with the Sontaran 2 parter.

19. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

sorry I have to ask, but are you being serious?

20. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I liked the Silurian setting very much as well. I don't really know why people complain.