Welcome new Voyager fans!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Caprica_Six, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can relate to that. I was there 8 years ago.

Welcome aboard.

2. Mommy

Mommy Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hello fellow voyager fans. I'm finishing up the 7th season of voyager for the first time and have become a big fan. I was unfortunately one of many that were lost to the curse of the first 2 seasons.

Ah well, better late than never! :)

stardream likes this.
  3. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I am by no means a stranger to this place (going on strong for 13 years) I am however fairly new to this forum.

I haven't watched Voyager since it went off the air 15 years ago, so I thought'd I'd do a viewing of the series again. Why Voyager? Cause it's my favorite series, I've always loved the characters, and I just love everything about it (well almost, but that's neither here nor there).

I thought about doing a viewing thread, and I still might, but for now I'm holding off (I just finished "Heroes and Demons").

I'm enjoying revisiting this universe and following these characters again.

Thomas Eugene likes this.
  4. Krena

Krena Ensign Red Shirt

First time poster, and I have to say, thank you so much for creating this thread! I'm expressing gratitude because I remember how for years, Voyager was the most reviled series until Enterprise came along. It was getting to the point where I kept my feelings to myself because I was afraid of being ridiculed or seen as a troll--especially over my feelings regarding Neelix. (Everyone hates him to death, but he's not one of my top three favorite characters, the Talaxians are my favorite alien race.)

Why do I love it so much? To me, VOY was the perfect blend of sci-fi, character development, philosophical exploration and morality tale. Also, I know it may sound like blasphemy, but I think it was the most sci-fi out of all the ST series, save TOS. In the other series, sci-fi took a backseat to politics and social commentary, but in VOY, the sci-fi was an integral part of whatever story was being told.

For example, in the Tuvix episode, the story was just as much about the scientific problem of figuring out how to separate Neelix and Tuvok as it was the ethical dilemma of whether it should be done or not. I don't think there's ever been a show to do this good a job striking this kind of balance, and it bums me to this day how unappreciated VOY is in this regard.

Anyway, I saw VOY when it first ran but never caught it in reruns because I was so bitterly disappointed by the finale I didn't have the heart to watch it again. But having played the very satisfying sequel in STO ("Delta Rising"), all is forgiven and I'm now watching it again on H&I. I was afraid that it wouldn't hold up, but it is every bit as great as I remembered! Yup, there's the Doctor being a funny, yet incredibly obnoxious priss. Yup, there's B'elanna launching into ridiculous technobabble. Yup, there's Neelix being obnoxiously ingratiating but cute all the same, and all the other characters as I remembered them.

5. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    Hey can I join-I gotta say it Voyager is my favorite track-it has a timeless story(the odyssey) woven into it-the characters are archetypes to whom one can get easily attached and their are some dang exciting epiodes!

6. Thomas Eugene

Thomas Eugene Commodore Commodore

Welcome, Newbies, to the Delta Quadrant:
    [​IMG]

TigerCat and Catarina like this.
  7. The Lonely Man

The Lonely Man Commander Red Shirt

I've only recently discovered this forum and had a good look around before deciding to join.
    I'm a huge Trek fan, although my logic is somewhat skewed.
    Picard is my favourite character, I think DS9 is the best of the shows yet Voyager is my favourite show. I can't figure it out either.
    Currently rewatching Voyager and am a few episodes into season 4.

8. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Love Voyager. It's stood the test of time. I tried watching Original and it's just so corny now. Even Next Generation first couple of series are not so good, it did get better though. Data I will always like. Deep Space Nine isn't as adventurous being stuck on a Space Station, the last couple of series of DS9 got almost depressing. Voyager is adventure and escapism.

9. Voth commando1

Voyager had heart-it's not "gritty like DS9" and it's not supposed to be-it's hardly a TNG clone either-even at its worst. But I would say it more closely follows the spirit of both TOS(the thaw, demon,) and TNG in terms of its ideas, tone, plotting and so on.

Sophie74656 and Thomas Eugene like this.
  10. Thomas Eugene

Hello Newbies, :beer:

It's good to know VOY is the first on your list of Star Trek shows. Couldn't agree more. It's got heart, it's got family feeling, it's got humour, it's got a loveable crew and it's got an incomparable Captain. Also, almost every single episode is memorable (of course, the fact that I'm watching it for the 35th time in my life is slightly helpful ... :guffaw:).
    Plus it has the best intro. Not to mention the fact that they never changed over to the ugly uniforms that we see in later seasons of other ST shows.

So yes, VOY is fun. Everything else isn't ... or to a very small extent only. To some extent I like DS9 but the other shows are ... yawn. (Who thought that ENT would be a good show? Mind-boggling.)

Of course, this is all JMO.

In any case, welcome to the fora.

Tracy Trek likes this.
  11. Steve White

Steve White Ensign Red Shirt

Hi all...

I caught the first couple of series of Voyager when they were released on VHS in the U.K way back when, but I have to admit the show lost its momentum for me...

I kind of cherry-picked my way through the rest of the series as it played out, mainly seeking out the 'big' episodes like Scorpions, Year of Hell and obviously Endgame. But all in all Voyager never really did it for me, at the time...

On a whim I recently downloaded a few episodes from iTunes, picking Caretaker and Endgame as well as a couple of random episodes. The first one I watched on a whim was One Small Step. It was the first time I'd seen it and I was blown away by it! So much so I immediately downloaded a few more.

I've got to admit, I'm enjoying this so much more second time around, I can't believe I've left it so long to get into this version of Trek...:cool:

12. Voth commando1

It has the themes of TNG as well, had an amazing cast overall and even the more subpar actors got episodes in the sun where their talents shined and they were the centre of attention

Timeless-Harry Kim
    Tattoo-Chakotay
    Warlord-Kes

And so on the main stars were of course Seven, the doctor, janeway, and arguably Tuvok. And they all did really well.

As I said above it had heart, it followed the spirits of both TNG and TOS without being utterly derivative as some detractors have said and while not as tightly plotted as DS9 it certainly was fa more in the spirit of Trek than DS9 ever was.

13. EightiesKid

EightiesKid Ensign Red Shirt

Nice to se w lot of VOY fans here. I enjoyed the show back when it was on though admittedly it ranks after TNG and DS9 for me. Nonetheless, I have been catching reruns lately as well and it has been a lot of fun. There are some really great episodes and it's nice to see Star Trek on tv again. It reminds me of the 90s and early 2000s when Star Trek was always on tv! I certainly miss those days.

14. queerTrekker

queerTrekker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello, I am queer_Trekker, I am new and a multiple show fan, though so far Voyager has my favorite captain.

15. Logicpuzzle

Logicpuzzle Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello
    I'm new here
    I just refund my love for Voyager. When I was younger, I loved the show, but never regular.
    Now I restart to watch the seasons and fell in love once again.
    Janeway is my favorite captain and the rest of the characters are great (some more, some less)

The Lonely Man likes this.
  16. The Lonely Man

The Lonely Man Commander Red Shirt

:techman:

Welcome.

17. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

welcome

18. Koinek

Koinek Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not exactly a new fan or new to this board but it is the first time I've logged in or visited in around six years. Dunno how many really old timers are left around these parts but hi there if you're around!

19. ArgyleTrekkie

ArgyleTrekkie Ensign Red Shirt

Your post made me smile. I honestly don't want a cure for what I have! And I have Voyager fever pretty darn bad :)

Catarina and Thomas Eugene like this.
  20. Thomas Eugene

Watching it for the 36th time now, you can imagine my obsession with this show ... :lol::lol::lol: