So I'm Watching "Chains of Command"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Dale Sams, Apr 27, 2013.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Pretty much my argument. You forgot open space to the up and down however. Though some people called me a misogynist just because I think Troi was terrible at driving in the movie forum. ;)

I think Ro was a perfectly fine pilot... I'll give Riker a pass for the shield frequency but not telling Troi to take the helm. There were a dozen other people on the bridge at least one of them in red. Are you telling me none of them were more qualified to fly the ship than the ship's therapist?

Though it always amused me that Picard had Troi take the helm in Nemesis when he decided to ram the Scimitar. ;)

2. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm pretty confident Riker could have handled the situation without going to war, after all he gives "master classes" in poker. And the BOBW cliffhanger shows that he will even kill Picard if he had to.

3. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

But that time he wanted her to crash the ship. Given that he wasn't actually on the Enterprise-D when it crashed in Generations, I've always wondered what Riker told him about what happened.

--Sran

4. R. Star

I always figured the conversation went a lot like this...

"I'm gone for a couple hours and you wreck my starship?!"

"Well at least I didn't get Kirk killed!"

"Well... ah, let's see about making this look better in our logs." :p

5. Kooz

Kooz Lieutenant Red Shirt

Rewatched this the other day. I said out loud to my wife: "I wouldn't know if a Ferengi female wasn't attractive. I suppose it works both ways."

6. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Well it was her specialty. :cool:

7. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Ferengi ear thing reminds me of the Duras sisters groping Picard's head when they're trying to manipulate him. I guess everything above the shoulders is fair game :)

8. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

She was heading away from the planet. Any way but towards the planet is away from it. The shock wave of the Enterprise's explosion pushed the saucer's aft section up, turning the saucer's nose towards the planet and seemed to push it towards the planet. Then it lost helm control; gravity and inertia did the rest.

They barley cleared the destruction range of a warp core explosion. So Deanna did a pretty good job piloting the saucer, forces beyond her control caused the crash.

9. R. Star

The only way the shockwave from the drive blowing up could have knocked them into the atmosphere is if she positioned the ship between the drive and atmosphere. They were going parallel to the planet before they separated as witnessed by the planet being to the right of the ship on the Klingon view screen. It's assumed they kept this course as the saucer turns to the right(from a rear view) when they separate, which would be towards the planet. So yeah, the shockwave knocked them into it.

10. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

Except after the Klingon view screen (and Worf's full volley of 1 torpedo, guess he thought it was the Federation Open Tennis Championships) there are no more visual clues as to the ships orientation to the planet until the saucer gets pulled in by the planet's gravity.

Yes, when Worf fired the torpedo, the ship was above the planet and listing starboard towards the planet. We can assume the ship stayed on the course it was on which means we can assume she righted the ship, and had its ventral section facing the planet. This also makes sense because the saucer goes not only to starboard but up as well. When the stardrive goes BOOM, the saucer is to starboard and above the stardrive.

So lets assume the ship was still listing starboard towards the planet, by piloting the saucer section starboard and up (from the POV of the stardrive) the saucer is moving away from the planet. Granted going port and up would have been moving completely away from the planet, provided Deanna did not right the Enterprise.

Without a view of the planet when the stardrive blows, we cannot say that Deanna piloted the ship towards the planet. All we can say is that the saucer was close enough to the planet to get caught by the planets gravity when helm was no longer working.

11. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

LOL... Deanna Troi, the officially designated Enterprise crasher!