The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

The Dark Knight Must Die(t)

Anyone get this vague reference to title censorship of another movie? :)

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been wondering the same about Reese. I have my own thoughts about him, much to Jackson Archer's disdain :) I don't think he'll be revisited.

3. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm have a feeling that we won't actually know who the overall villain will be for a while, and probably through spy channels before we hear anything from the official production. If Neeson is going to make a reappearance I can see them trying to dance around it just long enough for someone at WB to ruin the surprise with a press release like with the whole "Neeson is Ra's oh waitshitcrap we mean Ducard" thing.

I'd really like to see Venom on the street turning everyday thugs into serious threats. Bane himself is obviously a physical opponent and the first real physical challenge for this Batman, but having the one big tough guy he has to fight at the end is a bit too much like a video game or, yes, a comic book. I'd rather see him using the Venom to pump up his goons so they can wear down Batman first.

4. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt it.
    Nolan also cast well known actors Ken Wannabee & Michael Jai White in one shot roles as well.

5. Admiral_Young

^ I think we could see Venom weaponized and as a street drug that is growing rampantly out of control. This is being distributed by the Mob which Bane is attempting to rally under his control. We've seen with the first movie drugs as a plot device so I don't think it would be that crazy to use it again.

6. exodus

That would be my best guess too which is why I brought up the ideas of Bane being a drug czar.

I just wonder is Hardy going to play Bane as South American?

7. Admiral_Young

^ Furthering my Bane thought...as others have suggested I agree that the Nolans and Goyer will play up the intellectual side of Bane who has a fascination with Batman. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw elements of Hugo Strange in the character as he systematically attempts to "break the bat" maybe not physically but perhaps mentally. As Spock is fond of being quoted as saying...there are always possibilities. This is why I like the idea of Bane being used.

8. exodus

Another reason the drug czar works for me is, much like how cops use drug dealers & users as informants. I can see Bane using addicts as his information highway in exchange for Venom.

9. Venardhi

There are quite a lot of very white people in South America, so even if he doesn't want to tan and dye and throw on an accent, he can still be from just about anywhere down there. Or just have him be British and raised in the jungle by biologist/botanist parents. His origin isn't very definitive.

Hugo Strange was the one who originally gave him the Venom wasn't he? Perhaps they're both going to show up.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I feel like I should know what you mean. But all I can think of is how Tomorrow Never Dies was a typo for Tomorrow Never Lies, but that's not censorship.

Which would be rather a huge departure from the comics character, who, as I believe I mentioned, was initially a Venom addict and then kicked the habit and became a crusader against Venom and its dealers.

Bane was born and raised in prison. A given nation's prisoners can come from all over.

11. exodus

Hardy is already kinda olive in complexion anyway, so skin color wasn't an issue. Just the accent.

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

How about another identity twist? Bane is actually Hugo Strange who used to be Talia but had gender reassignment surgery!

13. exodus

Where did I say he wouldn't be using?
    I don't see where using the resources available to him for info is a departure from the character being a stratigist.

14. Venardhi

The character can exist fairly intact without that specific origin though. The parents thing was mostly just an example of how to get around his nationality. I would generally agree that any incarnation of Bane should have spent a fair amount of his young life in prison though.

15. Admiral_Young

^ Agreed. "Knightfall" will probably serve as the source material reference for Bane but it's entirely possible that Nolan will tweak him where necessary .

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Oh, I agree. But I think Hardy is capable of doing both. Like I say, in Bronson, he bulked up considerably but also played a real-life con of considerable charm and brains - who also happens to be a very dangerous, notorious prisoner. I think he evinced brains and charisma in Inception. And I know he's gotten great reviews for some of the UK tv and movie stuff I haven't seen.

I think, a bit like Liam Neeson's character in Begins, he will be portraying someone who is capable of matching Batman physically and mentally.

The 1990 UK comedy The Pope Must Die was retitled The Pope Must Diet for the US market. Fortunately, Robbie Coltrane was playing the lead role, so the Diet reference at least made some sense.

When I saw him interviewed on The Jonathan Ross show last year, Hardy seemed to have some weird semi-Jamaican patios accent going on. I got the impression that he's a bit of a chameleon, that he got this accent from hanging around with friends of Jamaican extract. I can imagine him at least sounding like a South American.

17. Venardhi

Bane isn't even properly South American though is he? More like Caribbean or Central American?

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The prison where Bane was born and raised was on the fictional Central American island of Santa Prisca.

By the way, Bane (and Santa Prisca) will be featured in this week's Young Justice episode, Friday at 7 Eastern on Cartoon Network.

19. Admiral_Young

"Bannnnnneeeee!!!!!" Sorry. Couldn't resist.

20. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wish you would have! ^^^ shudder! :)