For Those Who Saw TWOK in 1982

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Steve67, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Steve67

Steve67 Commander Red Shirt

[LEFT]For years it's been a running joke about Kirk screaming Khan's name in rage, but as I remember it in 1982 at the theater*, the audience was as quiet as it could be during that scene. Everyone took that moment very seriously. I believe the kitsch factor came much, much later.

For those who saw TWOK in the theater during its original release, what was your reaction and how do you recall the audience's reaction to that scene?

*Opening weekend---the Lakes Mall, to be exact; the place was packed and they sold out the entire day's tickets. A friend of mine was going to see the movie for his birthday and he and his mother had to wait to see it the next day.[/LEFT]

2. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

It was a very intense moment in the theatre. You could hear a pin drop when Spock dies, also.. some were weeking, even though Spock's death was one of TWOK's worst kept secrets.

3. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't 1st see it in 82, but I was completely free of spoilers when I 1st saw it a few years later. I definitely didn't find anything funny about the moment. It isn't even that it IS funny, it is just a very well known movie moment so of course like anything people make fun of it.

4. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

The audience laughed in San Jose opening night (I always maintain it is his expression that generates the laugh, not the 'war cry'.)

When I saw it two nights later, there were a bunch of people who were laughing uncontrollably during Spock's funeral. That's the only time I saw that happen, though I can understand thinking the bagpipes an odd choice (these people were laughing BEFORE the bagpipes, though. I was not among them.)

We all laughed when Kirk falls on his ass in SFS on opening day. I still think that is as failed a moment as any in a TOS flick, that they completely mis-staged it.

I think the biggest accidental laughs in TOSflicks are Shatner's '0h migod' in TMP's transporter fritz-out and "ohmigawwd' in TWOK (when they find Chekov in the hamper-fridge.)

5. judexavier

judexavier Commander Red Shirt

I saw it many times in '82 :), and again night before last.

One thing about that scene, that big music swell seems to make the
    "yell" more intense, then (I think) the second is an echo, with the music following again. (who knows what the intent was, that was always my impression).
    When all the parodies of that scene began, I always thought that Kirk was over-acting on purpose, one to sell the lie/exaggeration, and to mess with Khan.

If memory serves, the audience was always very serious.

6. Magisterfrodo

Magisterfrodo Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember it being very serious and even a little scary. Of course, I was 8 years old.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The "Kh-a-a-a-a-a-n!" is in the TWOK trailer, so we'd been joking about Shatner's delivery for about a month before we saw the movie.

When Radioactive Spock took off his superfluous radiation glove and delivered his Vulcan salute, Dave Bischoff leaned over to me and said "Live long and phospher." I cracked up.

8. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

HEARING the line isn't funny; seeing it is. That is why the "KHAN!" in the trailer is chilling, not funny. I still think the TWOK trailer is easily the best of the bunch for Trek ... you have a helluva model shot, an amazing sustained piece of animation, some mysterious imagery of Kirk ... even if I knew nothing about the movie and cared nothing about the notion of Trek, I'd've been hooked (which is exactly how my folks wound up seeing the movie, they were utterly blown away by the trailer, and that was after they both slept through TMP and were convinced trek was dead.)

9. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

It was just me and one other guy in the theater. He was way down front, I was near the back...no idea what his response was.

10. scottydog

scottydog Admiral Admiral

I remember it well back in '82. No laughing at the time. It was all serious drama, and very poignant with Spock's death. I'm glad that as time has passed, we've developed a sense of humor about that scene :)

11. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

Saw it opening night. I don't remember any laughter at "KHAAAAN!" - the music made the moment genuinely dire.

Not yet mentioned here is the line that got by far the biggest laugh that night, from Carol Marcus: "Let me show you something that will make you feel-- young, as when the world was new."

12. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't remember anyone laughing in TWOK...except where it was intended.

I guess I didn't see it in a theater with a psychotic audience...:p

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Century Theaters?

I don't recall anyone laughing at the Khaaaan!!!! scene. But I believe I saw the first showing along with my usual geek posse. Science fiction is serious stuff! You wait overnight to get the best spots in line.:vulcan:

I did chuckle when Spock was dying. For some reason him straightening his jacket and walking into the wall is funny to me.

14. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Kahn's trailer is good, but I still think that the TUC team of teaser and trailer were better at selling the movie.

15. GodThingFormerly

GodThingFormerly A Different Kind of Asshole

An "American" in Friedrichshafen, Deutschland
    I actually enjoyed ST:TWOK as an eleven year old, but then I also enjoyed Megaforce that year so it shouldn't be taken as any sort of endorsement. Regarding the audience reaction at The State Theatre, the only sound I heard during the actual film itself (as opposed to the constant booing during the seemingly endless pre-feature "Val Morgan" ads) was some retard shrieking "Look bozz! De plen! De plen!" when the Enterprise first appears on the Reliant's viewscreen.

TGT

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

A group of friends and I were collaborating on the new Starfleet uniforms and we all assigned elements of it. The only bit we had no photo reference for was exactly what supported the leather belt at the back. We assumed a wine-coloured rectangle or two of fabric.

We were invited to a Saturday morning sneak preview the week before the big gala premiere night and, as Spock was dying, we were guilty of excitedly discussing the trapezoidal shape of his belt loop!

But Kirk's cry of "Khaaaaaaaaaaan!!!!!" was taken bone-chillingly seriously.

17. Therin of Andor

Dammit TGT, that was me! ;)

18. GodThingFormerly

GodThingFormerly A Different Kind of Asshole

An "American" in Friedrichshafen, Deutschland
    You are so going to get it the next time I swing through Penrith on my way to The Paragon in Katoomba! :mad:

TGT

19. Therin of Andor

"Look bozz, De God Thing, De God Thing!"

20. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

Didn't laugh; still don't.