ST:TOS - General Fanfic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by SLWalker, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the worst I ever bombed a test was in Finance. I managed to crawl my way painfully back up to a B by the end of the semester, but that was HORRIBLE.

2. SLWalker

SLWalker The OG Scotty Fangirl Premium Member

I'll bet it was! Just not geared that way, at all.

3. SLWalker

Title: Magnanimous
    Pairing: None
    Rating: G
    Words: 349
    Disclaimer: Paramount's characters, though they don't get nearly enough love from Paramount. Not for profit.
    Notes: Ha! A Chekov story, written for my little sister Karen, prompted by the word 'magnanimous'. Really short. Humor. Originally posted here: here. Yes, I can and do write much longer stories. ;-) But with the ensemble cast, I usually revert to humor and short.

--

Pulled for story control

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
  4. Nerys Ghemor

That's funny! For some reason, I would've pegged Chekov as the messy one, not Sulu!

I love how you repeat the "facts of the case" to drive home Chekov's indignation.

"Chekov just stared. He had a galley stove in his quarters. He had goo on his table. There was white powder on his floor."

You can just feel him getting more and more steamed!

5. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

*snicker* This would have been good for our humor challenge a few months back.

6. SLWalker

With Sulu's characterization, I always really liked how the L.A. Graf team wrote him, Chekov and Uhura, and usually go with that interpretation. That's where Sulu's fifty-million hobbies came from. Thanks so much for the comment! My sister is a Chekov-devotee, and this was all for her.

Thanks! Had I been here, I doubtless woulda been in on it. ;) I'll keep an eye out for the next!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  7. DavidFalkayn

DavidFalkayn Commodore Commodore

I can sympathize completely with Kirk--I hate tax time! Also liked the Sulu and Chekov scene with Chekov as the long-suffering buddy.

These are really very nice vignettes, but can we coax you into a longer project? :)

8. SLWalker

You poor thing. When I start posting my long storyline, you're probably gonna cry for me to please go back to writing short little stories. :lol:

Thank you for the comment!

9. SLWalker

Title: A Little Sympathy
    Rating: Barely PG; one very mild cuss word
    Prompt: 'Scruffy' by InfiniteViking
    Timeline: 2267
    Words: 878
    Disclaimer: All Paramount's, not mine.
    Notes: This is a bit of kind of silly, fluffy humor. It also may explain why Spock was so zen later on with the space hippies.

--

Pulled for story control.

10. Nerys Ghemor

Hah, what an image! Now remind me, what episode was the one involving the space hippies?

(I'm afraid I know most TOS episodes by summary, not by having actually seen them.)

11. SLWalker

That would be The Way to Eden, which is not exactly the best and brightest TOS has to offer. There were a lot of things that kinda sucked about it, and Spock having a jam session with the hippies was a little wince-worthy.

12. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True, but at no point did someone cock their head and ask, "Brain, brain... what is brain?" :lol:

13. SLWalker

Oh, absolutely. LOL! I adore TOS into the very bottom of my heart, but there was plenty of bad to go around. Space hippies or Spock's Brain, there were definitely moments of wince-worthy material.

14. SLWalker

Title: Rituals
    Rating: G
    Timeline: 2267
    Words: 420
    Disclaimer: They belong to Paramount, not me.
    Notes: For my friend Gumnut -- Kirk, Spock and McCoy share a ritual, but it's not the one you may think. Kinda grim, but not. Last of my 'general' short stories.

--

Pulled for story control.

15. Nerys Ghemor

Very good...this is something we don't always get to see, except in written stories most of the time: the aftermath of the battle, and how that must weigh on the commanders involved. No matter how important your cause is, it still hurts.

16. Gibraltar

Amen to that. :( Very nice work on this SLWatson. Brief, yet very poignant.

17. SLWalker

It does hurt, I'm certain of it. I take a really eye-level view of the characters in Trek. If you end up reading the Arc of the Wolf, you'll see what I mean. I love a good battle scene, but really am not so good at writing them; love action and adventure, but still struggle with it. So, most everything I write, even with battles and adventure, tends to be character-driven above all.

Thanks so much for the comment!

Thank you. I wasn't too sure of this one, and still am not perfectly thrilled with it, but if it hit a chord then I've done my job.

18. Gibraltar

This is the kind of thing my characters would struggle through alone, without even the cold comfort of knowing their friends shared the same burden. It's nice to know Kirk, Spock, and McCoy had this outlet, even though it wasn't spoken of aloud.

19. SLWalker

Yeah? Got some stoics in your cast?

And yeah, I'm kinda glad for it too. I've written my share of emotional stoics, and the more isolated they are, the more they tend to suffer.

20. Gibraltar

They've suffered their share, to be sure. :cool: