Stephen King's Under the Dome - TV Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Dome_(TV_series)

Set in the near future, Under the Dome tells the story of the residents of the small town of Chester's Mill, who suddenly find themselves cut off from the rest of the world by a mysterious, impenetrable barrier that surrounds the town. As the town begins to tear itself apart through panic, a small group of people attempt to maintain peace and order while also trying to uncover the truth behind the barrier and how to escape from it.

The show starts tonight (6/24) on CBS. It will be interesting to see how long this show will last, and what changes they will make to King's novel.

2. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Still, reminds me of the Simpson's movie..lol

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Same. Hopefully this show treats the premise in a more serious way.;)

4. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm kind of surprised the first episode isn't available on-line.. Looking forward to this quite a bit...

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Had no real interest in seeing this, as I kinda got bored with King's style of storytelling long ago, and the trailers haven't interested me in the least.

But the reviews have been surprisingly good, so I might check it out tonight anyway, just in case.

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

This is a 13 episode series based on a 1000+ book, so hopefully it won't just drag on and on like "Storm of the Century" did.

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I plan to check this out for at least an episode if for no other reason but Dean Norris, although the premise does sound interesting. I just hope it doesn't delve into the melodramatic bullshit that ruined Jerico.

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Hopefully, they changed the silly ending from the book.

9. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heard about the show a couple of months ago, sounded interesting, and I needed something to read, so I figured I'd go straight to the source. The book was solid, not amazing or anything. But... I'm 20 minutes into the show and... I don't want to be one of those people.... but... what is going on here?

When I look at Game of Thrones, most of the changes are understandable, but this thing is just hitting me with one WTF after the other.

10. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

Will probably check it out due to the involvement of Brian K. Vaughn (Lost, Y:The Last Man, Saga).

11. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not a miniseries, and that's a huge flaw. They are planning on the show having 3-4+ seasons, and it's a summer show, I just don't see that happening.

12. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Great first episode. Best thing I've seen in some time.

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well, they got years and years out of "The Dead Zone" but that wasn't as nearly a limited a premise as this show.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Decent first episode. I've never read the books, so I'm judging the show on its own terms.

At the moment the leading character appears to be the guy named "Barbie". We start the episode with him burying the dead body, I suppose we will find out more about over the rest of the season.

Big Jim and Duke looked to be the political part of the show, until something exploded in Duke's chest. Ow. Hopefully he will recover since I like the actor that plays him. I have a feeling Big Jim might become a bad guy. There was something shady about the character throughout the entire episode.

Angie and crazy Junior look to be the silly teen plot that plague shows like this. But I will wait and see if it actually goes anywhere.

The rest of the characters didn't make much of an impression.

I thought the premise was interesting, the effects for the "dome" covering the town looked very good. I will keep watching.

15. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, it's better than "Defiance" which is the only other sci-fi like show to premiere recently that I'm aware of.

Considering slim pickings of sci-fi and of summer shows in general, I'll be watching.

Found it too convenient though that Lapidus from "LOST" had his pacemaker blow up as he was about to take the deputy into his confidence, tho...

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate Brit Robinson, but I loooooooooooove Rachel Lafevre.

Nice little drama.

Don't really need the Dome at all.

17. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

It shuld be starting here in about 5 minutes time :)

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Your TV is being a dick.

Holding out on you.

Slap it.

Evolution on their perception of their trap... Nothing, a wall, a dome, a sphere.

If they're not in the centre of a sphere, then some bugger should find a spade.

Which is odd, since it seemed like the Dome was dropped, from the sound effects used.

19. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

We, my youngest son and I, thought the first episode was interesting and we will be watching it again next week. I haven't read the book.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

King and Mr Burns were recently spotted on the set
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]