J.J. Abrams Says Returning To Superman 'Would Be A Blast'

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dusty Ayres, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

J.J. Abrams Says Returning To Superman 'Would Be A Blast'

With that in mind, here's my casting for a potential J.J. Superman movie;;):)

Superman/Clark Kent-Chris Pine

Lex Luthor-Zachary Quinto

Perry White-Bruce Greenwood

Jimmy Olsen-Anton Yelchin

Lois Lane-Zoe Saldana (if M. Night Shamalan can cast whites in Asian roles, I say it's time to cast POC's in white roles)

Batman-Eric Bana

Steel/John Henry Irons-Corbin Bleu (?)

Inspector Bill Henderson-LeVar Burton

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Maybe i'm not thinking that hard on this, but I would imagine tackling a Superman film wouldn't be that hard of a challenge right after making "Star Trek"

I remember the draft that had Krypton surviving. I think having it survive only to be destroyed at the end while Superman looks on helplessly would be GREAT.

3. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And don't forget the big reveal of Lex Luthor as a Kryptonian.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Superman with lens flares? I'm no so sure.

5. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How Abram's would approach it now given the overwhelmingly negative reaction to his previous crack of the whip is anyone's guess, but I imagine we wouldn't be seeing the Superman-suit-in-a-can style nonsense that plagued his first pass.

6. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Wait, what? When was he involved with Superman before? Are they just talking about a screenplay?

7. Spiderpope

Spiderpope Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It would solve the secret identity issue. No-one would ever get a clear look at Clarks face thanks to the blinding lens flares shining off his glasses.

8. Ceridwen

Ceridwen Commodore Commodore

He wrote a draft of a screenplay about seven years ago, but it never got further than that. This was after Tim Burton's Superman Lives attempt, but I think before rumors of Superman/Batman began circulating.

You can find the screenplay in pdf format here.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a diehard Supes fan, and I was honestly kind of excited by most of the changes I heard about. The origin and Superman/Lex dynamic had become so stale and predictable that it was refreshing to hear such a radically new take on it.

Granted, the suit-in-a-can thing was too much, but most everything else I really liked.

As for Abrams taking another shot at it, I say why not? He's more than capable, and the Superman franchise (much like Trek before it) could definitely use some new life and energy.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Kal-El was a great man... but that was another life!"

"We were never meant to leave the island, Lois."

"Hello, Superman... I'm William Bell."

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Krypton doesn't explode? Lex Luthor is an evil alien government agent? Ugh. I normally have faith in JJ Abrams but that's messed up.

12. GhostFaceSaint

GhostFaceSaint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
    Well no one in the film industry things that doing Superman is going to be easy, falling into the boring trap would happen if they did Superman like the comics again, so reinventing the man-of-steel is problematic at best.

13. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

He said later a lot of that was by studio request, and he was going to work from that draft backwards into a more traditional Suoerman script.

14. I've heard something similar. That was an early draft, a later draft had already excised some of that stuff.

I'd be OK with JJ taking another shot at it. But, though I like his stuff, and really liked Star Trek, they seem to lack a certain 'heft' that I expect from Superman.

My personal pick has been Matthew Vaughan for the director.

15. Tyson

Tyson Fleet Captain

Somebody get that fucking loser to some kind of directing classes first, he's a gigantic manchild with the camera. Star Trek was somehow watchable in spite of his involvement.

16. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Wasn't his direction of the Lost pilot critically praised?

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wrong.

I'd love to see Abrams's version of Superman.

18. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

How could Tyson possibly be wrong? He called Abrams a gigantic manchild with the camera, and then proceeded to explain why by... uh... hmm...

19. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Me too. And here are a few things I want to see done differently:

* No godsfrackingdamm crystal technology for Krypton; study Star Trek: TOS, TNG, Voyager, and DS9 and use the design styles and philosophies to create an ordinary, Earth-like but alien Krypton; also study John Byrne's version of Superman for other design styles.

*Have Superman kick butt the way he's supposed to, with a hard attitude yet caring heart (Pine should combine Kirk's cockiness with Superman's hardness)

*Make Clark Kent like he was on the Superman: TAS show (portrayal of which was based on George Reeves's version of Clark Kent as seen in The Adventures Of Superman)

*Keep Perry White's attitude from Superman Returns-I love the fact that Frank Langella wasn't always screaming.

*Base the script on the 2004 miniseries Superman Birthright-it's the best origin story I've ever read, IMHO. It's best for me because the Clark Kent seen in it isn't a whiny emo boy like he is on Smallville.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I can't see a Superman film ever being a big success because theres not the need nor want from movie goers for such a movie. A movie lke Superman needs a big budget because well its Superman ;) but that makes the movie less profitable and I think J.J would be smart to stay away. Also another reboot so soon would just confuse the average movie goer am afaird WB may of killed that franchise for possibly a whole generation.