I finally saw Resident Evil (Movie)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by WillsBabe, Dec 24, 2008.

1. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

About 18 months ago this film was on tv. I saw the first 15 minuites of it but for some reason deleted it from the hd before I saw the rest of the film. I bought it the other day and watched the rest of it. I don't think the rest of the film holds up the the first 15 minutes, which really had me intrigured - the amnesiac woman, the soldiers, the secret mansion, the train into the undergound city.

It was nice to see Michelle Rodriguz in her pre-Lost days, even if she over-did the whole macho Marine thing a little too much. I think Janette Goldstein did it much better 20 years ago. And I enjoyed seeing James Purefroy again. He's my choice for Avon, if they ever re-make B7, like they keep threatening to do. And Colin Salmon made another of his career-defining brief, but serviceable appearances. I really hope he gets a major gig sooner rather than later.

I thought the scene where the good guys were trying to escape the Zombie hive workers by crawling across the heating pipes above the zombies' heads was pretty rubbish, both in terms of tension and in the way it was filmed. It was as if the set was too cramped to get any decent angles, or the lighting was bad. I can't really put my finger on what made it seem like a straight to video B movie.

Just been reading on Wiki that David Boreanaz turned down the policeman role in the film to carry on as Angel. I can see him in the role, actually, since I always think there is a similarity anyway between him and the actor they eventually cast (whose name escapes me).

So, it turned out to be more pededstrian than it promised 18 months ago, but on the whole, I enjoyed the flick enough to start a thread about it. I'm interested to know what other folks think about the film, especially the game players. Does it do the game jusice at all? Did you enjoy the film even if you haven't played the game?

2. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For my friends and I, The two who hadn't played the game enjoyed it (and the other two films) more than the two who had played the game.

That said, we all thought they were fun enough, but could have been better:)

3. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

As a long time fan of the game series I thought the live action films were utter garbage. They should have just stuck with the plot in the games :borg: Hopefully the new CG animated movie is better

4. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I really wish I could say it gets better, and in a way it does by the time of Extinction. Here's hoping that 4 (yes they're making it) is better.

I have noted though that the people who have seen the movies before playing the games usually have a better opinion of them.

5. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could enjoy watching Mila Jovovich read the phone book.

6. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

For those interested the D2DVD movie Resident Evil: Degeneration will be available starting Friday in the US.

7. Davros

Without Mila, I see little reason to care.

8. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ You won't like RE4 (movie) then. At the moment she's said she feels that Alice's story is over. Rumor is the new film is going to focus on Claire Redfield and Alaska.

I think that the cult will be in Alaska and that's why the virus isn't there.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not a video gamer myself (at least not since I had an Atari as a kid), but I thought the first movie was a pretty fun guilty pleasure. There were some fairly inventive sequences and monsters, and Mila looked really cool kicking ass.

The second movie was a big disappointment though, being just another generic "zombies take over the city" movie. The third one, set in the desert, I liked a lot better.

I still wouldn't have wanted to pay to see these in a theater, but as late-night rentals they were perfectly fine.

10. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I still love how a lot of people call Extinction a Day of the Dead remake. At least it was closer than the actual remake.

11. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I made it through the first movie while being mildly interested. The sequel is rubbish in my opinion. My ex-girlfriend loves them though. That's probably why we broke up. :devil:

12. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Fun first movie, if not particularly deep. Only seen the sequel once so far; it had a few good moments as I recall, but doesn't hold up to the awesomeness of the first movie's ending. Haven't seen the third; haven't played the games.

13. Davros

Ali Larter is not bad to look at either, but she's no Milla.

14. Luckyflux

Luckyflux Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What about the scene with the swat team in the tunnel...That was the coolest scene in the movie. I thought the black guy was gonna make it until the beam turned into a grid and then...well, it was pretty cheesy what happened to him, I don't think that would have happened to him like that, but still I thought he was gonna make it! Fun and forgetable flick!

15. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ So popular it was added into the games actually. Resident Evil 4 has that tunnel.

16. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the first one a lot and it's the only one worthy enough to be included in my DVD collection. I didn't like the 2nd one much, but the 3rd was better.