Anyone else sick of Miley Cyrus?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Lookingglassman, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't say I'm sick of her as I don't know much about her. I do always find the tongue hanging out pictures of her somewhat disturbing however...

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I have a hard time believing anybody's going to seriously begrudge a pop star for saying the kind of things comedians base their careers off saying.

And all the parents who are mad about her sexualization have daughters who are already sexually active. Girls aren't going to copy Miley, Miley is copying the girls, and it's all just a marketing ploy.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Indeed. That really seemed to be the case when I posted that but, alas, she has slipped into the darkside. She does really have tallent though and I hope she "grows out of this" and lets that tallent shine.

4. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

▲Ok I had a listen to this ,this is what she should stick too, she also needs to look that gad awful hair style..

5. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow. I didn't hate that. ツ

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Miley is not a comedian. There's no indication that she said that as a joke.

7. Gil T.Azell

Ok how did you do this? > ツ

And that want bad its what she should stick to.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  8. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why not? Should I hold all of your youthful indiscretions against you, especially ones where you acted the fool? Of course not. The vast majority of the stupidity we engaged in as teenagers was harmless. It's easy to say "no excuse" because you don't have to deal with it anymore, but people in their late teens/early 20s are going through a very tumultuous phase in their lives. It's doubly compounded if that person is also a media celebrity.

9. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not tired of Miley, I'm tired of the hatred being thrown at her. She's not doing anything new or even anything wrong. The hysteria with which people feel the need to hate her is kinda frightening.

10. Amaris

That would be my opinion, as well. She's not doing anything many teens don't already do, the difference is everyone gets to see it instead of it being hidden away. What's important to note is that she is smart, she does have a plan for her future, she does have a good singing voice, and personally, I think she's a good person who wants to go on and do great things, and I'm all for that. She's not doing a thing in this world to harm anyone.

11. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

It's a character from a Japanese font.

12. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Yep.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Miley isn't a child. She's an adult. If she said that line when she was like 10, then most people would let it go. But she said it as an adult, so she should expect to be treated like one. And on top of that, she is a celebrity, so everything she says is automatically treated with extra scrutiny - as it should be.

14. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Right, but that line was specifically written for her to cause just the right amount of controversy so people feel like it should make them mad but nobody really gets that mad. So she gets all the attention of being controversial without the actual anger.

The line was a calculated publicity move. This is not a Michael Richards situation. The stereotype of the entertainment industry being dominated by Jewish men makes people uncomfortable but it doesn't inspire nearly the same anger and hurt as black oppression issues do. It had the effect she wanted on you: People who don't like her anyway are complaining about it, which makes people who do like her defend her and like her more.

She did not come up with that line on her own: She was told to say it by her publicity agent.

15. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really think the context of the quote has been lost. The idea was being floated that she was somehow being prostituted by the music industry. Executives at her record company were dictating what she wear or not wear and how she presents herself. She was rather bluntly pointing out that the "old jewish men" who ran the company didn't know what would play in the clubs or how 20 year olds would react to music and that all the decisions were hers. Her choice of words could have been better, but the point was this was her success or her trainwreck.

Now of course, we could have a conversation about how a woman in show business has to take her clothes off in order to be heard in our culture, but that is an entirely different conversation.

16. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just saw it somewhere and liked it so I stuck it in my signature.

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I honestly don't see what the big deal is. Yeah her VMA performance was a bit crazy and ridiculous, but we've seen the same kind of thing from Lady Gaga, Pink and others in the past and no one ever thought twice about it.

And yeah she says some stupid and idiotic things at times, but she's a 20 year old pop star. It's kind of their job to get attention by acting ridiculous and saying stupid things.

I certainly have a lot more respect for her than I ever did for Britney Spears. Mainly because she can actually sing. I have her latest album on my phone and it's pretty damn good.

18. Amaris

Indeed, she has the misfortune of making her mistakes in the public eye. You should feel lucky you don't have that problem. At the same time, I don't think what she said was wrong. I mean, she used the word "old Jewish man." Um... burn her? :shrug:

19. Gil T.Azell

Ok thanks.

20. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm more sick of the insipid media coverage than her at this point.