My Grievances of Nutrek. What makes me a hater...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Mycroft Maxwell, Sep 22, 2013.

1. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Re: My Greivences of Nutrek. What makes me a hater...

But in JJTrek, the windows are in the front, which makes it different....

....somehow.:rolleyes:

2. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Having a window would have been useful in situations where the viewscreen is having technical difficulties, like in TWOK. Also it looks like a technology that is futuristic yet possible. The old one was a big TV screen. You can buy one that big if you have the money. That's why I like the new movies. They take familiar objects but give them an extra spin so they resemble something that is futuristic for modern audiences instead of audiences in the 60s.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or, and much more easily, time his relative. One Chekov spends time on a longish sublight journey or on a part of the galaxy where time moves at a slighty different rate. Him being a different person who just happened to end up in the same place as his phantom brother....

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Aliens did it?

5. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The viewport/display is either about 3 feet thick or made of multiple layers, like an insulated window. Also it looks like there are clamshell style doors that could be closed if necessary.

[​IMG]

I think it works very well, like a HUD.

6. Khan444

Khan444 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The position of the bridge on the Enterprise was always kind of stupid. Its way too easy to hit. Like Carcazoid said, the windows could be made out of some special futuristic glass that's really hard to shatter, or could have multiple layers. Also, there could be doors that automatically close if the windows do shatter, the design would fit that.

7. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

The glare on the first one is oblique, visible from the taking camera, but not interfering with the operation (unless the guy decides to squat down and try to watch the screen from the bottom edge-on.)

The second one has a light, not a spotlight, and it doesn't look like it is producing glare, just illumination.

The third one seems irrelevant. Nobody is getting blinded by fluorescent tubes in any universe.

Also, the lighting environments in the shuttle are workaday, like an office. Except for the tube in 3, I can't imagine the other sources being used on a vessel that had an alert status going on like you see in TREK, when scrutinizing instruments and displays is probably even more crucial than usual.

8. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

So there's not much of a problem on the Enterprise bridge either, then.

Yeah, I can't imagine that anyone would stick a bunch of bright fluorescent tubes in the middle of the console, directly above the instrument readouts the crew is supposed to be scrutinizing.

9. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Those ain't fluorescents. That's a piece of plastic with a movie light behind it. (up until fairly recently using regular fluorescents was a hassle for film, one you could work around, but why would you unless you had to, which meant shooting on a location where you couldn't modify the fixtures?)

BACK ON POINT. And yeah, it is too bright given the proximity to the screens, proving they've messed up on this at times but (and a BIG but) compare any of your pics to the Abrams bridge and you'll see a magnitude of difference. HORRIFICALLY different.

10. Awesome Possum

I find it stunning that people can get upset over something as trivial as lens flare. It's weird touch that JJ likes to put in his projects, it has no effect on the story, acting or any other detail. It's just an easy straw to grasp at and complain.

11. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kirk isn't a superhero, and Star Trek has never been a superhero story. And even within the logic of a superhero story, it still doesn't work for me. Especially not since they went out of their way to start Kirk not only as a cadet, but as a cadet on academic suspension.

I almost got hopeful at the beginning of STID that the entire thing was actually intended to be unbelievable, so it could open up some serious story possibilities about Kirk's leadership, but then Pike is murdered and the entire thing is completely forgotten again.

12. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

I don't know. TOS Kirk and movie Kirk did things that should have got him drummed out of the service multiple times but because he saves the Earth over and over again he gets a slap on the wrist at worst.

Star Trek III is a prime example of this. Even though Kirk was doing what we all knew was best he basically spat in the face of the Federation over the course of two movies. At the end of the day he saved Earth so they just bust him down a rank back to Captain (which is where he wanted to be in the first place).

Secondly Kirk is a super hero if Batman is. Batman doesn't have super powers, he's just a guy....who saves the day ALL THE TIME. Kirk might not have powers or something but at the rate he saves the planet I'm pretty sure he counts.

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Kirk is absolutely a superhero. He always has been.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Yep.

15. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same deal with Iron Man, really, though arguably Kirk can do more thanks to future tech. He can certainly travel faster and packs more firepower. He beat death. He's grappled with opponents considerably stronger than him and won. And as was mentioned earlier, he repeatedly saves the planet. He has a suit that readily makes him identifiable as his character.

The thing is, the tropes that we associate with comic heroes apply to both Shatner and Pine Kirks. And why do they have those tropes? Because they tell stories about heroism and optimism with abilities far beyond what we have today (however those abilities are quantified) in order to provide escapist -- but idealistic -- fantasy.

Even if we want to narrow down the route, we'd have to consider that there are spacefaring heroes like Adam Strange and Starlord who are cut from the same fabric of pulp heroes, just like Jim Kirk. Dashing, charming, charismatic, sometimes pragmatic, but ultimately a fearless, peacekeeping explorer. Someone whom the audience strives to be.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Didn't Sreve Rogers go from recruit to Captain pretty much "overnight" in Captain America: The First Avenger? (In the comics he remained a Private)

17. Awesome Possum

The man asked God why he didn't a starship and took a bolt of lightning like it was nothing. He's a superhero.

18. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Must leave this
    Up to the
    People who
    Play and
    Entertain us with
    Their stories

19. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!

Oh!

Thank god for that!

Now I can relax!!!

:rofl:

20. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And this, folks, is how to use the phrase "begs the question." Sorry, I just see it abused so often, when I see it handled the right way, it stands out.

Play on, boys.