Kindle Paperwhite...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by BillJ, Nov 5, 2012.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Just got it today.

Which book should I buy first? I'm pretty much up to date with the 24th century stuff I'm interested in, but am a bit behind in the 23rd century.

2. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you can find a copy, I'd highly recommend "The Entropy Effect" by Vonda N. McIntyre. It's my favorite TOS novel for sure, and probably my favorite Trek novel in general.

Coincidentally, I just finished reading it again on my Kindle Paperwhite this morning. I have quite a few more Trek ebooks I'm looking forward to reading on it.

Another good TOS novel is "The Kobayashi Maru" by Julia Ecklar. I also recommend "Spock Must Die" by James Blish.

3. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

How is the Paperwhite, I've been thinking of upgrading my Kindle Keyboard.

4. BillJ

Little smaller, little lighter. But it has no buttons all touch screen interface, has ads and the backlight takes a bit of getting use too.

But I like it better than the Kindle Keyboard.

5. TiberiusMaximus

Personally, I love mine. The backlight works fine for me and I love the touch interface. I have a disability that makes my hands weak, so the lack of physical buttons is a huge plus for me. YMMV, of course.

6. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

There are a lot of problems with the Kindle PW. Given all I've read from actually people buying them and then trying to get good replacements multiple times, don't bother.

7. BillJ

There's absolutely no issues with the Paperwhite other than the backlight is a little uneven at the bottom. I'm interested in whose having issues with them?

8. TiberiusMaximus

Any new product is going to have its fair share of negative reviews. Some of them are legitimate, some of them are just complaining for the sake of complaining. Personally, mine works great. That's no guarantee that everyone will like it or that every Paperwhite will work the same way. But in my experience, the Paperwhite works very well.

Some of the negative reviews I read complained about discoloration, uneven lighting and dust between the screen and the backlight, but mine hasn't had any of those problems.

9. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Can you block out the Ads in some way?

10. BillJ

Buy the $139 version. But I haven't found them intrusive at all.

11. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

^Thanks for the info. I have an older kindle that works well but I do not have a light for it. I was thinking of upgrading, but it is ad free:) Does the light kill the battery life faster?

12. BillJ

Yes it does. You can compensate somewhat by turning the wi-fi off. But using mine everyday, I imagine I'll have to charge about every ten days.

13. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

I love mine too. Had it for two weeks and think it was worth every penny. I have a kindle keyboard and a kindle touch. I use both with the lighted cover and the paperwhite is a massive improvement on both.

14. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Hmm. I may just look at one as a personal Christmas present. Trying to read my Kindle Keyboard with just a Coleman LED Lantern during Hurricane Sandy's power outage was not fun! I had the leather cover with the extendable light, but it ended up screwing with my original KK and I haven't used it since. The backlight seems useful. As the only review on this thread is from someone who doesn't appear to have one, I'll take that as a good sign.

As for ads/no ads, I gifted my grandfather a Kindle w/ ads a year or so ago and he only noticed that it had ads three months ago.

15. JWolf

Bright spots, color spots, shadows, text not that black and other problems. Go join MobileRead to find out more from actual owners who have sent them back multiple times for issues like those listed above.

http://www.mobileread.com

16. JWolf

Even Amazon acknowledges that the PW has the problems users have been calling in about.

17. BillJ

Since I'm an actual owner, I'll take my own word on the Paperwhite's performance.

[​IMG]

This is an image from mine in a dark room with the backlight set at 21. I got mine on November 4th, which is probably part of the second production batch.

18. JWolf

I can see the color blotches in the photo.

19. BillJ

:guffaw:

20. JWolf

I also see the color blotches.