A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's just a fringe fan theory. Great grist for the fanfiction mill I'm sure, but I really doubt TPTB are going in that direction this year.

2. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm.. my sources cite this as about the 4 and a half billionth season. :D

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Other fringe elements of the fan base say it's only been on for about 6,000 seasons or so, give or take... :whistle:

4. Kegg

Well, we never get any reruns so who cares.

5. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The series rebooted with the advent of man, the premiere episode "Fire" was clearly intended to be a new starting point. The other series is still in continuity but you don't need to have seen it to enjoy the current production.

6. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

In that instance the person doing the legitimizing would presumably be the one who already holds (or claims) the throne, so it's not really clear why they'd want to legitimize a rival claimant.

7. Kegg

In the case of Stannis for example it might simply be the need for a designated heir (given Shireen's condition).

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Tower of the Hand linked to this blog post about trying to figure out the most ideal way to reorder the chapters of Feast and Dance and essentially turn them both into one mega-book. What do you guys think? I like the idea, though I don't agree with the author's stance on not preserving the Quentyn Martell reveal (much as I loathe Quentyn's storyline in ADWD). He links to another take (Google Docs link) on reordering the books which does try to preserve that reveal.

9. Kegg

Well so long as they cut most (if not all) of the Tyrion chapters, if they're planning on cutting material for this hypothetical merger. I think at most you'd need about two or three of those - him with Ilyrio, the one where he talks to Aegon, and then maybe one with him and Jorah.

10. Skywalker

I don't see anything about cutting material at all, it's just a reordering of all the chapters from both books into a vaguely chronological order (for the most part).

11. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

Ironically enough, I just tried doing that very thing (not actually merging the two books, but flipping back and forth -- Thank you, Kindle!). I found that if you went about 10% on ADWD, then 20%, sometimes 30% or so on AFFC, it works pretty well.

The only real wonky part chronologically were the Arianne chapters, believe it or not -- right when the 'Mountain's' skull shows up in Dorne, as all of the Sand Snakes and Arianne are free of their prison cells (thus after AFFC, basically)... yet it's only about 1/2 through ADWD.

It was a good challenge, to say the least.

Cheers,
    -CM-

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

The first person responding in the comments section on that blog is Bryan Cogman. :cool:

13. Venardhi

The problem with reordering is that not even the individual books themselves are necessarily chronological. The characters' stories are basically just spread through the book for optimal pacing/impact as a whole, unless they're interacting with other character threads.

14. Skywalker

It's not really a problem. The two different reorderings I linked to do try to follow a generally chronological order, but for the most part they place pacing and narrative over chronology. The only chapters that seem to be an issue are the Arianne/Quentyn ones. Quentyn's storyline starts in ADWD before Arianne's does in AFFC, but the end of Arianne's storyline sets up a cliffhanger leading into the beginning of Quentyn's because AFFC was published first.

15. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's another question from rewatching... Jamie said there were "maybe three men" in the kingdoms who could beat him in a fight. It's likely the brothers Clegane and Loras, but what do you think? Is Selmy too old, or does he swap out for Loras on experience?

16. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I would say it's intended to be Selmy (they've had Jaime fanboying him for pretty much the whole show), one of the Clegane brothers, and either the other Clegane or Loras Tyrell.

17. Venardhi

Just as likely to be any of them really. Loras is probably the easiest to discount of the four in the show.

18. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those who do not read synopses are doomed to watch reruns.

19. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Cast members from Game of Thrones will be reading audiobook versions of three of George R.R. Martin's early novels. Iain Glen will read Dying of the Light, Michelle Fairley wil read Windhaven, and Ron Donachie will read Fevre Dream.