Fitness Checkin

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by kimc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yesterday I set two new personal records:
    Bench press 225 lbs.
    Dead lift 405 lbs! :eek:

Kor

RAMA likes this.
  2. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

Still struggling on the strength - but still on a cut, down to 89.6kg as of just now. Plan to switch to weight maintenance and strength gain for a month in March, then focus on macros and bodyfat loss, and strength retention, from April onwards.

3. JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have been going my daily walk (not during the winter but sometimes, depends on how cold it is or mild...also depends on how much snow there is on the sidewalk or how much ice there is as well when there is hardly any snow on it) and do my weights.

4. Kor

Now that I have reached certain strength and size goals, I will be dieting down for definition. I am starting a ketogenic diet next week.

Kor

RAMA likes this.
  5. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

Strained my back doing deadlifts, so off gym for a week and then on light duty for five weeks, so starting to go stir crazy now having not been to the gym since Friday :(

6. Kor

Ouch, sorry to hear that.
    I did that a couple times before. I worked on improving my posture and technique, and it hasn't happened again.

Kor

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

After my longest layoff from the gym in almost 20 years, I've been back since a month ago. I've had some nerve damage and some life issues get in the way, and while I don't think my back will ever be 100% again I've made some progress in recent days. I also joined my first new gym in 7 years. It was time for a scenery change.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Making progress with nutrition and body composition, I may yet be ready for the beach in June. :lol:

One thing I did while on my layoff is eat added salt again. I hadn't added salt to anything in 13 years or more. So that's back out. Bread has been reduced to twice a week. Raw veggies are back in with increased frequency along with cooked ones for meal prep.

My only issue..a nagging right wrist, which I had before lifting again. Seeing a sports doc about it next week.

RAMA

9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

2 weeks away from running my first marathon.

Recent half result projects to 3:14, maybe add 5 more mins for inexperience at the distance and aim for under 3:20 which is about 7:38 average pace. Sounds like a relatively comfortable first ten miles and hellishly painful final six.

Need to pick an expensive steak house for my post-race feast.

RAMA likes this.
  10. JirinPanthosa

My time was 3:29:29. Held to planned pace for first 17 miles or so, then slightly slowed down, then barely maintained running speed for last 4 miles.

My legs hurt. I wonder why.

RAMA likes this.
  11. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't really started an exercise routine, but I've started using the MyFitnessPal app about two months ago and I'm down a little over 35 lbs (about 15.8 kg) so far. (Started at 330 lbs / 150 kg). I have been doing spot exercises here and there whenever I've come too close to my personal calorie limit for the day (500 under what the app says), and I've gone walking (playing Pokemon Go) a few times, too. The biggest change is that I've learned a lot about what I've been putting in my face hole, and what I should be putting there instead. :)

RAMA likes this.
  12. Kor

I just dropped 25 lbs in three months using mostly ketogenic nutrition, continuing my weight training routine (I've managed to keep almost the same strength levels, too), and taking handfuls of every fat metabolizing supplement known to humankind. I still can't see my abs. Bah!

Kor

RAMA likes this.
  13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

14. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Shmoke and a Pancake?

RAMA likes this.
  15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I know when I've eaten more strictly my diet would sound like that. It's just so funny he has to put that much thought into it.

16. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

Go running or swimming Kor - either burns fat so fast it's stupid...

17. JirinPanthosa

I'm prepping for Spartan ultra beast now. Scratching my head how to both train for ultra running distance and train to flip a 400 pound tire at the same time.

18. JirinPanthosa

So checked today what my max was. To flip a 400 pound tire I need to be able to do 2 reps of a 200 pound deadlift. Today I was able to do 3 reps of 160 but was not able to do 180. Wondering if it's worth trying to train deadlift capacity to save 4 minutes of burpees in an 11 hour race.

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

https://www.active.com/fitness/articles/how-exercise-boosts-your-brainpower

You know that logging miles on the treadmill can give you a trim body, but adding more cardio to your life will also ratchet up your smarts, boost your productivity, rev your energy, and turn you into an unstoppable success machine. Even one 30-minute cardio session pumps extra blood to your brain, delivering the oxygen and nutrients it needs to perform at max efficiency.

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Well just train with it gradually and work up to it. You don't seem far off.