Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by sbk1234, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

It's a Time War, throughout all of Time, and Gallifrey is Time Locked (IE: Frozen in Time, or out of Time)

As far as other Time Travelers, strictly speaking, The Time Lords never did approve of their race running wild throughout the Cosmos, so, there weren't many running around free, TARDISes are basically Gov't owned and pretty strictly regulated, it's not like every Time Lord has a TARDIS like we have cars, The Doctor stole his. Additionally, any Time Lords away from Gallifrey worth their salt, would almost certainly have run home to fight in the Time War. (Even the Master was lured in with a promise of more Regenerations if he helped in the War)

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well the Doctor would say he "Borrowed" his TARDIS.

To expand somewhat as well as soon as the Doctor becomes part of events he then can't go back. As it would be crossing his own timeline.

3. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Time can be rewritten!:p

"Rose" is a reasonable place to start. That's where I have most people start. Unless you're one of those people like me who is less concerned about going in order and more concerned with seeing something really strong right out of the gate. In which case, I would recommend "Dalek" & "Father's Day" from the Eccleston era; "The Girl in the Fireplace," "Blink," & "Midnight" from the Tennant years; and "The Eleventh Hour," "Amy's Choice," and "Vincent & the Doctor" from the Smith years.

It's called a "Time Lock." To understand it any further, I would recommend taking Cardinal Borusa's class on Applied Temporal Mechanics at the University of Gallifrey. But then, you can't reach the University of Gallifrey because it's Time Locked.

Which leads me to Borusa's next lesson: "Recursive Temporal Logic & You."

Overall as decades, I think the 1980s have dated much worse than the 1960s. As a result, I find the '60s incarnations of both Star Trek & Doctor Who far more watchable than their '80s counterparts.

I did have a friend who I first introduced to the new series. Then I tried to give her some Tom Bakers, but she couldn't watch them because he "wasn't sexy enough." (Thankfully, her 1-year-old daughter seems to love classic Doctor Who. She finds it very soothing.)

I'm relatively new to Doctor Who fandom but I still kinda count myself as a classic fan. I only first discovered the old series about a year before the new series started. By that point, I was sufficiently intrigued by the old series to be very excited about the premiere of the new series. But it took a while for me to get adjusted to the more leisurely rhythms of the classic series. Honestly, I'm not sure I would have made the effort to acquire the taste had I not been in kind of a sci-fi lull at that particular point. (Angel had just been cancelled, I was bored with Enterprise, and I think I was between seasons on Stargate SG-1.) I'm very glad all the stars aligned at that particular point to allow me to get into classic Who at that point.

I sometimes suspect that, had I started with the new series, I never would have given the classic series a real chance. I probably would have quit after having been largely bored & confused with "Spearhead from Space" the first time out. (It's actually an excellent story but a very difficult one to start out with because the TARDIS is barely involved. Instead, it's the start of the new format in the early Jon Pertwee years where the Doctor is exiled to Earth and works as scientific advisor for UNIT.)

[​IMG]
    "Once you are converted, you will help us delete the one known as 'Doctor.'"

She's a decent cutie but I prefer me some Amy goodness! Martha's not too bad either. And Clara just has perfect skin....:drool:

Yeah, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^It's the Scottish accent with Amy.

5. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And now my 7-year-old daughter has started watching with me. She got all excited when I played the theme song on the car CD player. It was also adorable to hear her try to explain it to her little friend.
    Right now I'm proud of myself as a parent.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Just out of curisoty which version of the Theme (as they've been quite a few over the decades)

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The web of time or the first rule of time.

Some points in time are fixed.

If he saves his people, the Daleks survive and destroy everyone else.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

See "The End of Time"for info on what would happen if the Timelords where still around.

9. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

The Time War. A time loop is a simple weapon. There are weapons we can't imagine, like the Nightmare Child and the Could-have-been-King and his Army of Meanwhiles and Neverweres, and Dalek weapons the Skaro Degradations and the Horde of Travesties. You'll find out a lot more, but only in hints and clues as you watch more.

10. sbk1234

I'm not sure, as it's on a sci-fi collection CD. I think it's the most recent.

11. sbk1234

Just watched Blink. Wow.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

"Blink" is definatly a highlight of DW since it's return.

13. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh yes, that's the good stuff.

14. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They'd... stand there and do nothing for 5 minutes before being vanquished in time for 30 minutes of crying and Murray Gold?

15. sbk1234

I just got to Matt Smith. He'll take some getting used to. I really want to like him.

Unrealated question. When in the context of the series did Gallifrey get destroyed? Has it always been "gone" based on the Doctor's "now?" or did it happen after the show had already started. I don't know why, but I seem to remember something about it happening around the time of the 8th Doctor.

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

It was a Time war, so, now, it's always, but, as far as on screen, it occurred after the McGann movie and before Eccelston's first ep.

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The destruction of Gallifrey, and indeed the whole Time War, happened between the 1996 TV movie and the episode Rose.

18. Guy Gardener

It's still happening and unhappening and rehappening in a locked off pocket of time separated from the rest of the universe where from any of it, or some of it, or all of it could dribble out.

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hell, I remember back when season 1 first aired (around the time the episode Dalek aired in fact) I asked "when exactly did the Time War take place?" The answer I got was "yes."

20. Guy Gardener

Obviously they used a paradox machine of unimaginable size and power to make sure that the universe still existed after the Timelords and the Daleks destroyed it.