Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman In ‘Batman Vs. Superman’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Dec 4, 2013.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Honestly, before the movies came along titles like Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy and even Iron Man sounded just as cheesy as anything in DC's catalog. They never sounded all that cool or badass to me.

Although I'll grant you, Aquaman is a pretty lame name for a superhero (regardless of how cool the character himself might be).

2. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I must be the only one who actually likes it.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mera was so hot on Smallville.

(She was pretty intense on Agent's of Shield as well as Lorelei.)

But that's what happens when you pay a very beautiful actress to be very beautiful.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, "iron" doesn't really sound that intimidating.

"Iron Man, Iron Man. Does whatever an iron can. Presses pants really fine; keeps those seams right in line. Hey there -- there goes the Iron Man!"

(Recalled from an issue of John Byrne's Sensational She-Hulk, though it may have existed earlier.)

5. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvFct0oaFeg[/yt]

6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

That never works. :p

7. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z87chgp2qA[/yt] Still my favorite Iron Man theme.

If it comes down to Avengers or Justice League, give me the League.
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtZ-cz-3zqo[/yt]

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb5wZ7ZPXdA[/yt]

8. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Funny, I still haven't seen GL all the way through. Last time it was on EPIX or whatever I tried to record it but the DVR froze up.

What I saw of it wasn't as bad as I'd heard. :/

9. Silvercrest

"Silver Surfer" sounds incredibly lame.
    "Ghost Rider" sounds like a joke, probably a deliberate one.
    "Wonder Man" used to sound really cool to me, but these days it would be downright embarrassing to use in discussion.
    "Ant-Man"? They're actually going to title the movie that? How is that a remotely dramatic or threatening name?

On the other side of the fence, back in the 1970s I thought the same thing when I first heard "Black Canary". However, the significance is undercut when you realize this was also when I thought "Wonder Man" was cool.

Well, regardless of whether Dinah has a cool name, at least the "Black" wasn't inspired by her skin color. :lol:

10. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

One of the children of Wonder Woman's creator(s) apparently likes the casting, at least:

11. Guy Gardener

You know how fucked up that is?

Wonder Woman is a composite of their mother and their father's mistress who would make love to their mother.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Redeemed somewhat by this:
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHW6qL67R2M[/yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHW6qL67R2M

But yeah, almost all the superhero titles sound silly but we're immune to a lot of that if we grew up with them.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I still don't understand what Jack Kirby was thinking. But then, I feel that way about quite a few of his creations.

Why would one want a hero's name to be threatening? Shouldn't it be reassuring or inspiring? It's not just about scaring the bad guys, it's about giving hope to the populace.

Then again, "Ant-Man" isn't exactly reassuring or inspiring either.

14. M.A.C.O.

Ant-Man also goes by Giant Man. It sounds more heroic than Ant-Man.
    [​IMG]

Also there was Black Goliath
    [​IMG]

15. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Silver Surfer? He's silver and rides a surf board in space. Not too much of a stretch thinking that Marvel was capitalizing on the surfing craze of the 60s.

Ant-Man sounds a little doofy to me. I'm not familiar with him, but The Atom sounds more hip to me.

Reassuring or inspiring? Giving hope to the populace? Pfft. I say scare the bat-crap (pun intended) out of the villains and let the populace take comfort where they find it. ;)

16. Silvercrest

Ask Bruce.

17. M.A.C.O.

Banner?

18. Guy Gardener

Wayne?

Hank recently went through a transvestive stage where he was wearing (a version of) his dead wife's costume and answering to the name "The Wasp".

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

No they aren't "cooler", just the products of a different age. The Avengers came out half a decade after the Justice League. The Guardians of the Galaxy came out a decade after the Legion. They aren't even the same type of team/concept. Both sound a bit silly. Which GotG film plays upon.

How is Thor an analog of the Green Lantern? (How works for the Guardians of the Universe)

Namor the Sub-Mariner was just the Sub-Mariner in the beginning and called "Subby" by fans and characters in the book. What about the name "Aquaman" would there be jokes about, without prior knowledge of the character?

20. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's just it...to me the first 1/2 was great....but it was the ending on earth that seemed like such a let down. Big difference in the feel of each 1/2.